over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you eat shit?

bigfatandugly said:
lol...

no shooting the messenger here bro- i more than appreciate discussion in this thread and on the boards.

i really hope my post didnt come across as rude, as that was totally not my intention. lol.

i think i will attempt it to see first hand, not all ten days (i find if i dont have a specific goal in mind when dieting for something, i easily break).

very curious.

BFU

I know you weren't. I was just jokin. I think that studies like this are a good example how things are'nt always as they seem to be when it comes to nutrition and the human body.

Big Bapper said:
12 years. Respect. Can you recommend a good cleanseing/detox product as it has been somthing I have been looking into for a wile.

My wife bought the book Natural cures, We followed that one, cleaned me out;)

Moen said:
I dont eat carbs anymore :p
I know the talk here is not about no carbs but everything is going better without carbs, I even get less sore from workouts (and I dont take in any carbs pwo other than those that are in the nuts)
this goes against everything i've read over the years and against my own personal experience. maybe your not sore from your workouts because they're not as intense because you don't have sufficient energy?? the best post workout meal is very high glycemic carbs with something like whey protein and no fat(slows absorbtion of protein). my personal favorite is a scoop of gatorade with 2-3 scoops of whey...

doug1 said:
this goes against everything i've read over the years and against my own personal experience. maybe your not sore from your workouts because they're not as intense because you don't have sufficient energy?? the best post workout meal is very high glycemic carbs with something like whey protein and no fat(slows absorbtion of protein). my personal favorite is a scoop of gatorade with 2-3 scoops of whey...
I missed this but I have the exact same experience with carbs as Moen. I asked around and others say the same, on ketogenic diets soreness is reduced dramatically. IIRC the reason was that carbs control inflammatory processes. I'll see if I can find the info I found a while back.

doug1 said:

I'm stronger than I was on carbs so I doubt my workouts are less intense :)

KillerStack said:
I missed this but I have the exact same experience with carbs as Moen. I asked around and others say the same, on ketogenic diets soreness is reduced dramatically. IIRC the reason was that carbs control inflammatory processes. I'll see if I can find the info I found a while back.

Exactly

I have bad (instable) shoulders since birth so they are inflamed often and again, less of that now too

TeamZ said:
My wife bought the book Natural cures, We followed that one, cleaned me out;)

Thanks buddy I will get the book and have a read.

great thread

I have really enjoyed this thread. Keep the information and personal expeeriences coming.
KH

I thought that carbs being the enemy in dieting was shot down years ago, i see it's still alive and well. Stay away from those fruits and vegetables, you don't want to get fat. Bring the bacon, eggs, sausage etc., bring it baby, bring it.:cool:

doug1 said:
I thought that carbs being the enemy in dieting was shot down years ago, i see it's still alive and well. Stay away from those fruits and vegetables, you don't want to get fat. Bring the bacon, eggs, sausage etc., bring it baby, bring it.:cool:

You forgot butter and cream lol There is nothing wrong with eating veggies and fruit. The glycemic index in fruit is generally high but this is misleading becasue there are other nutrients in fruit so it's obviously not the same as sugar. Is sausage bad because oif the fat in it? No, but there is a lot of junk in it that makes me stay away from it in for the most part. Now, when a bodybuilder is trying to get ripped for a show this is not the most natural or healthy thing to do and drastic measures are taken to get rid of the fat, especially the last bit. There is nothing balanced or healthy about it!

I hear what your saying mag, are these guys we speak of in the last stages of a precontest diet? I don't see that and I see them poo pooing ALL carbs, I've done that keto diet stuff and hated it myself, I'm more old school with lower the fat and this way I still have energy to move and think...lol

doug1 said:
I hear what your saying mag, are these guys we speak of in the last stages of a precontest diet? I don't see that and I see them poo pooing ALL carbs, I've done that keto diet stuff and hated it myself, I'm more old school with lower the fat and this way I still have energy to move and think...lol

The biggest mistake people make when they go on a lower carb diet is not keeping theri fats high enough. Plenty of energy to train and grow. People are so scared of fats for no reason at all.

magnum,

why is it and how is it that bodybuilders for ages have used low-fat to virtually no fat diets to get into incredibly low bodyfat percentages.

why is it that you see a bodybuilders (when dieting) eating egg whites, skinless chicken breasts, and whey isolate versus whole eggs, fried chicken, and muscle milk.

if it was just a calories issue why are bodybuilder's contest diets so fat-phobic?

Magnum said:
The biggest mistake people make when they go on a lower carb diet is not keeping theri fats high enough. Plenty of energy to train and grow. People are so scared of fats for no reason at all.

totally agreed . they also have their protein too high in order to get these " keto diets" working . not that i am advising to go lower with the protein etc.. but if someone is wanting to get the most out of the ''keto diet'' > not only their fat has to be in check but their protein as well .

wake

kidstuff said:
magnum,

why is it and how is it that bodybuilders for ages have used low-fat to virtually no fat diets to get into incredibly low bodyfat percentages.

why is it that you see a bodybuilders (when dieting) eating egg whites, skinless chicken breasts, and whey isolate versus whole eggs, fried chicken, and muscle milk.

if it was just a calories issue why are bodybuilder's contest diets so fat-phobic?

I don't think that it is as prevelant as you think it is in todays world. More and more guy are adding in fats and lowering their carbs. Years ago guys ate a very low carb diet when getting ready for shows. I remember back in the mid to late 80's when Weider came out with these meal replacement and recovery drinks. The main ingredient in them was sugar. All the guys under Weider obviously said this was how they got big or got ripped. Then they would have their diet in the mags and it contained mostly carbs and these ridiculous sugar drinks. Sugar is cheap so this was a very clever way to make tons of money.

I definately use carbs in one's contest diet, but I hesitate to say that I cycle them because this implies that I am raising them and lower them thru out the week. I will add them in on certain days to stimulate the metabolism and to replenish glycogen stores, but this is secondary to what I am tryin to accomplish. I have been using this type of diet for many years so I am not trying to convince anyone here that it works or to switch over. I do not need convincing because I know it works based on real world scenarios.

There is a lot more to it than just lowering carbs and there are countless situations that I have had to deal with. Most of you know already about King and the improvments tha he made. I had a little more than 5 days to try and make some type of improvments. I also took over Betty Pariso's contest prep from the Atlantic City show to the Olympia. I had 5 days to try and make some type of improvements. She went from 5th place at the Atlantic City show to beating Iris Kyle in the muscualrity round at the Olympia. This would not have been possible if she had not lost some fat in those 5 days. Another thing that needing to be taken into consideration was to bring her in full and hard. Not just starving her fat off. Even though Ed saw what I did with King he had big time doubts as to what I could do in 5 days AND he was freaking about how I had her eat. :D Bottom line was he told me that she looked the best she had in years the morning of the show. Too bad I didn't have 6 days. ;)

Magnum said:
I definately use carbs in one's contest diet, but I hesitate to say that I cycle them because this implies that I am raising them and lower them thru out the week. I will add them in on certain days to stimulate the metabolism and to replenish glycogen stores, but this is secondary to what I am tryin to accomplish. I have been using this type of diet for many years so I am not trying to convince anyone here that it works or to switch over. I do not need convincing because I know it works based on real world scenarios.

thanks for answering the question. I'm not challenging you to convince me or anything, I'm asking these questions just for the sake of learning and dialogue. I think you hit it on the head with the carb cycling... seems like that is very popular today because its best of both worlds.

one more question.

what kind of fats do you like to use?

whatever comes along with your protein (meat, eggs, mostly saturated etc) or do you add it with nuts and oils (mostly unsaturated) and do you think it makes a difference in the long run?

Last edited:
kidstuff said:
thanks for answering the question. I'm not challenging you to convince me or anything, I'm asking these questions just for the sake of learning and dialogue. I think you hit it on the head with the carb cycling... seems like that is very popular today because its best of both worlds.

I know you were'nt, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was reffering toyou. :) I sometimes go off on a tangent when asked a question. :eek: So don't take that the wrong way. I also like comparing notes when it comes to these things. It is the best way to learn how to improve.

I am out of the house 14+hrs a day for work and manage to find the time to prepare all my meals for work and on the go. If you can find the time to go to the gym each day you should be able to cook your meals as well. I see alot of excuses to justify eating fast food. I am a competitive Bber, so for the majority of people eating like this I doubt they compete and are anywhere near the potential as they could be physically, and thats fine. But if one is complaining about not making good gains and having a hard time packing on the muscle and think they need more calories and fast food is the answer, that is no excuse. That is just pure laziness. Its a lifestyle and fast food just doesnt fit into bodybuilding.

Massive G was trying to make a point when he asked how many competed, because theres no way you can get ready for a show with fast food in there, so obviously they are taking the time to prep the proper food contest prep, so why not keep that kind of consistency and dedication in the offseason? I see guys in prep saying its their cheat day and eat shit all day long to "spike their metabolism"? WTF?!?! A cheat day for me is HIGH carbs, like hitting all you can eat sushi for lunch, and maybe a few pastries, rest of the day is normal meals just extra carbs and a little lower protein.

For me my junk food is basically chocolate, pastries, cereals...stuff like that. Not gorging down cheeseburgers and fries. AAS use alone is bad enough on my lipid profile thanks.

Geez Massive...This thread is up to 5 pages long now! hahaha...
Just wanted to thank Magnum for sharing his knowledge like that.
As far as the fast food crap, if I'm stuck or feel like being naughty, then I'll pick up a 1/2lb of bar-b-que brisket. I feel the carbs go to my gut quickest and I'm kinda carb sensitive anyway.
On the ketogenic diet thing, I've done it but as a natural bodybuilder and I lost a lot of muscle. I can only lose about 2lbs per week and still keep my mass, and that may have been part of the problem b/c when I ate something like 60%fat/40%protein I could lose 4-6lbs in a week on 3500calories@220lbs. Just about 1lb per day when adding in cardio. Maybe if I'd been on AAS I could have retained the muscle?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws