advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

do you eat/supplement when you wake at night?

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Im wondering what some of you guys do as far as supplement/shake if you wake up during the middle of the night.

I would never set any alarm and interrupt sleep, but I do wake 1-2 times a night to take a piss.

Ive heard some guys take a shake, some guys take BCAA, some take glutamine.

Ive been taking glutamine because im in a calorie defect, hoping to spare muscle.

What is ideal though? When bulking and when cutting. Do you guys think its better to take an amino like leucine or glutamine, or take whole protien...and how much do you take?

I've tried both methods, mid-sleep protein shake/LBA or aminos and no mid-sleep protein.

I prefer to get back to sleep as soon as possible and feel that it is more detrimental than beneficial to wake up long enough to take the protein. I have a hard time getting back to sleep if I'm awake for more than a minute or two.

I know for me it's much more important to get a large dose of aminos immediately after training, in the neighborhood of 150 grams.

And of course a nice milk and egg powder or cottage cheese an hour before bed is a must.

I do a 60 gram whey isolate shake in the middle of the night. whenever i wake up to pee I will drink half of it. then on my second wake up for bathroom I do the other half. sometimes I do the whole shake at once. I have it pre-made next to the bed.

when dieting I actually have a half gallon water jug next to the bed. I add some bcaa and glutamine to the water. whenever I get up for bathroom I drink some of the water.

I have been doing this for years. seems to work for me, but I have gotten use to waking up to pee 3-5 times a night and being able to fall right back to sleep fast.

If it affects your sleep and sleep pattern I wouldnt do it.

not that more protein is bad or anything, but as long as you get in a significant amount of protein with some fat and maybe some fiber and carbs before sleeping, it will take many hours to break down. (not that you need carbs and fiber and fat for this point to be valid), but that would slow down digestion even more)

the protein from a lb of steak is probably still digesting after 10+ hours, especially if some of those hours are during sleep.

If I could wake up and down another shake in the middle of the night I totally would. One of my biggest issues is getting to sleep, especially now (on Tren Ace). But getting back to sleep after waking up I feel would be more detrimental than not getting the extra protein at 3AM, as my sleep would be totally screwed up since it takes me like an hour to fall asleep anyway. I go 50g casein/25g isolate right before bed, take my Melatonin and try my hardest not to wake up.

I would never intentionally wake myself up to eat in the middle of the night. That said, if I do happen to wake up to piss, I sometimes make a whey shake if I'm hungry. And like Latimus, I sip from my water jug every time I wake up.

I would not interrupt my sleep for anything. This is when growth hormone is most active helping your body repair, rest etc. If you are waking up 3-4 times during the middle of the night this might be a sign that prostate needs some attention. I think that too many people are under the notion that they will shrink away if they don't eat every few hours. Not going to happen.

Sometimes its almost impossible for me to sleep all the way through the night when you drink 2 gallons of water damn near every day.

I set an alarm clock half way through my sleep and pound 50 grams whey/1-2 TBSP olive oil. Takes 30 seconds or less to drink, and back to sleep in probably 30 seconds.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear