YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you get digestion issues from the prebiotic fibre in protein bars ?

devenidas

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I use to at times grab a combat bar for convenience but this Iso Malto oligo fructosaccride (prebiotic fibre) bloated me bad, made me gassy and fart really bad. I realised and pulled it out and i was fine and re-introduced it again to make sure and the digestion issues came back so i got done with them for good.

My wife still have them and it does not cause her no digestion issues (Lucky her!)

Just want to get feedback how many guys here get issues with them and discontinued using them or do you find all gtg and use them regularly ?

Please share your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance. cheers

Attachments

• 1466291200324.jpg
    1466291200324.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 123
Odd. Pre-biotic fibers help immensely with digestion. Don't think it could be the whey, sucralose, or sugar alcohols?

Last edited:
Odd. Pre-biotic fibers help immensely with digestion. Don't think it could be the whey(s)?
I agree, seems unlikely it's the fiber additive. I use quest and oh yea One bars (like quest clone nutrient profile). No issues.

The Oh yea, One - Almond delight tastes just like an "almond joy" bar. Love um. Thank me later! Lol.

Odd. Pre-biotic fibers help immensely with digestion. Don't think it could be the whey, sucralose, or sugar alcohols?

thanks for your input mate. Sugar alcohol is just 1gm in one bar so i would like to think that would not impact anything serious ?

sucralose I have at other times of the day and in coffee but don't get an issue with it really imo so its not the case that I have sucralose sweetener only when i have a protein bar.

whey i have is whey iso 97 lactose free from a UK company like TN in america.

Last edited:
thanks for your input mate. Sugar alcohol is just 1gm in one bar so i would like to think that would not impact anything serious ?

sucralose I have at other times of the day and in coffee but don't get an issue with it really imo so its not the case that I have sucralose sweetener only when i have a protein bar.

whey i have is whey iso 97 lactose free from a UK company like TN in america.
The whey they used in the bar could be giving you gas/digestion issues. Very many people have a whey and dairy intolerance. Any dairy f*cks me up bad...cramping, diarrhea, etc

Try eating a different brand of protein bar without artificial sweeteners and see if that helps?

i feel powders and bars are the biggest BB scam there is....

ohhh besides celltech.

:)

i feel powders and bars are the biggest BB scam there is....

ohhh besides celltech.

:)
They probably are. Whole food is best. But in the car, on road, or on a crazy day at office quest/one bars help me sometimes. Some of the flavors are amazing. Most of the bars out there, especially a few years back, are total carbage. These have decent macros/ingredients.

If I can find an excuse to eat an almond joy that has 21g protein, 7g of fat and 1g sugar, I'm down haha!

They probably are. Whole food is best. But in the car, on road, or on a crazy day at office quest/one bars help me sometimes. Some of the flavors are amazing. Most of the bars out there, especially a few years back, are total carbage. These have decent macros/ingredients.

If I can find an excuse to eat an almond joy that has 21g protein, 7g of fat and 1g sugar, I'm down haha!

the detour oatmeal were the only one i really liked...
and did those just for the carbs and sugar...

eat half before walking in to train....other half to make it home.

and all these powders now are just ridic.

LBAs were the only thing that didn't tear me up.

the detour oatmeal were the only one i really liked...

and did those just for the carbs and sugar...

eat half before walking in to train....other half to make it home.

and all these powders now are just ridic.

LBAs were the only thing that didn't tear me up.

Have you tried TN brand for your protein powders?

I use to at times grab a combat bar for convenience but this Iso Malto oligo fructosaccride (prebiotic fibre) bloated me bad, made me gassy and fart really bad. I realised and pulled it out and i was fine and re-introduced it again to make sure and the digestion issues came back so i got done with them for good.

My wife still have them and it does not cause her no digestion issues (Lucky her!)

Just want to get feedback how many guys here get issues with them and discontinued using them or do you find all gtg and use them regularly ?

Please share your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance. cheers

When I hear about protein bars, and then read a label like this, what you have in your hand is a glorified candy bar. Not at all a valid source of nutrition, and the fiber looks to be the only non-offensive ingredient. Its loaded with sugar, cheap oils, sucralose, and multiple other gastric distress causing ingredients.

When seeking an on the go or convenient item, a protein shake would be better, real fruit and nuts, hard-boiled eggs, cans of tuna with a pop-top... there are so many better options and ways to not be lazy about your food. Bars arent real food, they are "product" with a catchy label, selling hope

i had a couple times...

the only powder i like....(and this is no bullshit).
and not some kind of plug...

but synthetek is incredible....

:cool:

i had a couple times...

Haven't tried it yet but do agree that LBAs are the bomb!

x2 I mean I personally only would grab one in extreme hurry or whenever i had one it it was like a cheat snack though its not really. They certainly have their place as u said in busy schedules.

When I hear about protein bars, and then read a label like this, what you have in your hand is a glorified candy bar. Not at all a valid source of nutrition, and the fiber looks to be the only non-offensive ingredient. Its loaded with sugar, cheap oils, sucralose, and multiple other gastric distress causing ingredients.

When seeking an on the go or convenient item, a protein shake would be better, real fruit and nuts, hard-boiled eggs, cans of tuna with a pop-top... there are so many better options and ways to not be lazy about your food. Bars arent real food, they are "product" with a catchy label, selling hope

Back in the day indeed a protein bar use to be a glorified candy bar but a bar like this is not really imo. I use to have Met-rx bar back in the day and they were loaded with suagr etc.

You say its loaded with sugar. I am afraid I am going to disagree with you on that one. Its only got 5g sugar, thats hardly 'loaded with sugar'. Only 210 cals overall. only 7 gram fats.25 gm total carbs out of that 12 is fibre.

Issue is I have to work with what I got given here when it comes to my Mrs.

I have roadworks with sorting my wife nutrition. I troubleshoot and do the best I can..

My wife is a vegetarian so any kind of meat is NOT an option sadly.

I got her eating eggs and she stuck to it (Thank God!). Minnnie 'The Beast' Mouse have 2 whole eggs a day Max and she thinks she is proper badass when it comes to nutrition like Gaspari prepping for competition back in the day lol

She can not drink protein shakes in water or milk. Find it too disgusting lol No matter what flavour or brand I get. If I make her a smoothie with some fruit and put unflavoured ONLY whey iso so it does NOT taste like a protein drink then she is fine. so I make her from time to time but she do not want one daily either.

She cant not put protein in cereal or oats and mix and eat. Find it disgusting :banghead::banghead:

She has a high level job in finance as a management accountant very stressful at times and so busy. she is in board meetings and presentation from 9 am till 1 sometimes with a 20 min lunch break.

so for snacks option is ...

option 1 :- graba a Mars OR SNICKERS Bar from the vending machine

option 2 :-- eat a combat protein bar

so option 2 it is.

Her protein sources I have got for her are fat free cheese, quark cheese, high protein bagel, protein smoothie, nuts yes she loves nuts so no problem there, eggs, high protein bread and lentils and chickpeas, kidney beans etc, protein bars.

She trains with me 4 times a week. works very hard. does cardio. no problem. she is not lazy or anything. she will burst her balls in gym whatever I ask her to do. she is not fat either. she looks fine. obviously wants to improve body composition.

The problem I see is she is a normal human being who have taste buds & sweet tooth haha not one of us machines who see everything as carbs , protein , fats and eat around the clock same thing over and over and over again. no problem. Even with protein bars she has to like the taste. I bought Quest bars she thought they were disgusting so I had to finish them off lol. She ate one and goodbye. Tried some other she rarely liked any. She only liked combat crunch bars. I felt i hit a jackpot so I am more then happy for her to have a combar bar over a mars or snikers bar anytime anyday.

Many thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
The whey they used in the bar could be giving you gas/digestion issues. Very many people have a whey and dairy intolerance. Any dairy f*cks me up bad...cramping, diarrhea, etc

Try eating a different brand of protein bar without artificial sweeteners and see if that helps?

Mate do you know what I did suspect the whey in it tbh. I mean i know for a fact whey concentrate is BAD news for me it causes me stomach upset. I never buy it but combat bar says it has whey isolate and milk isolate so I thought thats good (a lot of bars have some sort of concentrate whey in them) but then again who knows how good quality whey iso that is right ? Also i do not know if milk isolate causes me issues or not. never really thought about it. who knows..

Taste wise I have to say combat bar is sooooo much better then quest nutrition bar. day and night difference.

btw if anyone is thinking i am defending protein bars and implying they are AS GOOD as the real food NO chance in hell I am saying that.

Cutler once said '' You can not convince me a protein bar is as good as a eating a chicken breast and rice''

I totally agree. No one can convince me any other way and I am not trying to convince anyone either. I am simply stating a better 'option' in managing nutrition around busy lifestyles and work schedules of normal people in real world.

When i did eat them I would have like may be 1-5 bars max in like a month somtimes I would go months without having one.

Do the new quest bars give you issues? They no longer contain IMO. They use corn fiber so if they do/don't bother you, you should have your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the new quest bars give you issues? They no longer contain IMO. They use corn fiber so if they do/don't bother you, you should have your answer.

No mate I have not tried the new one. I tried them defo last year first time and as far as I remember they defo had Iso Malto oligo fructosaccride (prebiotic fibre).

Thats a good idea in the process of elimination. I should try this. Many thanks

I just checked the label on bb.com and it still says it has the same prebiotic fibre. strange unless they have only changed the formula in america. i am looking in bb.com uk store.

Attachments

• Quest bars profile.JPG
    Quest bars profile.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 62
i had a couple times...

That's because synthepure isn't loaded with crap (inferior protein, fillers, etc) like many are. However there are quite a lot of good protein powders available so by no means it is the only one... far from it. I know Dev uses a 97% whey isolate from the UK and that would probably be ok for you too.

I agree with what others have stated about protein bars. For most they can be fine but they are far from ideal and they can give many people stomach issues. Perhaps look into making your own protein bars or brownies and using them. At least that way you pretty much know whats in them.

I eat about 2 protein bars per month at most. Times like I met my mate before the gym yesterday. I hadn't eaten for 3 hours and I would rather have something before I go the gym. In the area I have McDonalds, a pharmacy or one of many very expensive cafes/restaurants I would have to sit down and have a proper meal. Plus the only healthy options are usually something like tuna and salad and I would rather not pay $15 for that when I make it at home all the time. The pharmacy have 18g carb, high fibre and 21g protein bars that are fairly light so ideal for a 2 min snack I can have waiting for the tram.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear