do you train at home or a gym?

tripleOT

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer / Sponsor Rep
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Sponsors
who here trains at home? A gym? Both?

I love training at the gym because of all the equipment, but I also have a decent setup at home. Not much but enough to get shit done when my schedule doesn't allow going to the gym. dumbbells from 5-110lbs. Power rack, adjustsble bench, around 500lbs in weight plates, several different bars. I would love to have much more at home of course but space is Limited.

So what's everyone here working with? Gym membership only or is there any at home training enthusiasts? What kind of setup do you have at your house?

I've trained at home for about 25 years. I go to a commercial gym very rarely, usually when I'm out of town and am quickly reminded how nice training at home is. I even trained at home when I competed in powerlifting.

Mine is pretty well equipped.

Power rack with Crepinsek power hooks
Dumbells up to 130
Seated calf machine
Leg Press
Hack squat
preacher bench
Pulldown machine
Low row
T-Bar
Smith machine
Hyper bench
Various bars and handles
About 2000 pounds of weight
Bands
Chains

Self motivation.....:D

Home gym in a 20x4O' shed.

Leg press/hack squat
Lat pull down/w low pull
Incline/decline bench
Of course plenty of dba and weight plates.
Power rack

Last edited:
I know the "hardcore" response is to say I train in my dungeon style basement gym. For myself, I love my LA Fitness. Whoever invented yoga pants is a genius.

Home gym.

-Power rack with high/low cable crossover, lat pulldown, pec deck and cable row.
-Flat bench.
-Adjustable bench with leg curl/extension attachment.
-Preacher curl bench.
-Hyper extension bench.
-Power tower.
-I built a 4m long custom frame that has 3 foot bag, ceiling to floor bag, speed ball and a standing calf raise. But had to cut in half to move it and have to get the welder out.

Later this year I'm buying a smith machine and 45° leg press machine, but looking at doing a poured rubber floor first.

Both. I love my Gold's..great atmosphere...other competitors in bodybuilding and powerlifting...only $15/month..good management.

But if I don't feel like making the 30 minute drive or I'm just bored or want to throw in some extra work on a specific body part then I will grab some dbs and do a few sets.

I train at home except the occasional leg day at several local gyms. Iv accumulated enough equipment if my own so I don't miss much at the gym but a hack squat. But I'm buying one soon enough. Iv transformed my ggarage into a pretty decent old school hardcore atmosphere where anything goes. Loud music nothing sterile here even a bucket to puke in when shit gets crazy. Everyone in my town wants to train w me in there but I only let a few guys into my dirty little secret. It's like a private members club for guys that train like me. I can train barefoot with my shirt off and a needle hanging out of my ass and no one can kick me out because it's all mine. Fuck the gym. I don't miss them at all. I'm there to sweat grunt and fucking put on muscle. Not watch tv and hit on girls on the elliptical during social hour. Not my style. Even when I'm in there alone I'm in H.I.T mode all the time.

I have done both and currently train at home:

Pro Powerlifting Bench
Cage Squat Rack with Monolift
Deadlift Platfort
Flat Bench
Plyo Boxes
Reverse Hyper
Texas Squat Bar, Camerbered Squat Bar, Safety Squat Bar, Cambered Bench Bar,
Texas Deadlift Bar, Texas Power Bar, several different curl bars.
100lbs plates, 24 45lbs plates, tons of 35's, 25's, 10's, 5's, and 2.5lbs.
Dumbells 5-50, 75, 90, (still collecting them)
Regular and Mini Bands
Deadlift Blocks
I also recently went to an auction for a gym closing down and got several pieces of Precor commercial equipment:
Hack Squat
Dip Machine
T Bar
Seated Row
Hip/Quad Machine
Leg Curl
Half a Jungle Gym with lat pull down, 2 high pullies, 1 low pully.
2 Recumbent Bikes
1 Elliptical

I am going to get some chains and a belt squat next.

**if I can recommend 2 things for a home gym it would be bands and a landmine. I got my landmine off Amazon for $29 and it has allowed me to do a lot more movements and angles!

Last edited:
Train at home.. After I sold my gyms I took the equipment I wanted.. Over the years I've bought and sold a lot of equipment so it's always changing and being shaped out.. If I had to go to a facility Id never workout.. Yes I've gotten that lazy.. Open the door and go to the heated garage .. Rubber floor mirrors etc..

Strength inc. smith machine /power rack attach
Dumbells 10-120 lbs
Cybex plate loaded ISO row
Cybex incline lat Pulldown
Atlantis standing side lateral machine..
Pro fitness pec deck
Strength inc. incline plate loaded machine..
Bodymaster cxp plate load chest press..
Flex incline fly machine
Dip station..
Nautilus single cable station..
Jade grip plates 1500 lbs
Hyper extension bench
Custom leg press 45 degree
Tuff Stuff leg extension/ seated leg curl plate loaded
Strength inc adjust preacher bench
Nautilus xpload ISO dip machine
Nautilus xpload bidcep curl machine
Three adj benches and Olympic bars and attach..

Gym. Its easier to prematurely end a session at home when I'm not "feeling" it. In the gym I just carry on and sometimes have a great workout anyway. Hard to motivate myself at home.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Professional Muscle mobile app

Wow, some nice setups you guys have for sure. Hoping soon enough.I will be building a shop for cars/tools, then I will transform my two car, double deep garage into my gym. Equipmemt is expensive. Piece by piece and eventually I'll have everytning I need.

Home gym for a long time. But also have an LA fitness for the sake of the wife, she isn't big into going, so that's a waste). I've had tons of various things(don't feel like trying to list everything, like 2themaker said, a power rack is almost a staple for a home gym. I'm presently living in a 2 bedroom condo with a den, my 22 year old son is moving out in August. I have my power rack and bars/plates, and a cable crossover machine in storage, I will put that in den when he is gone. The place I'm in has a nice porch, houses dumbells up to 80 pounders. A very nice Hoist brand bench that is solid and adjustable. Dip bars. I was gonna set up my seated row machine, but it was too tight, so that's taken apart and under the bed. I bought the Bodylastics brand resistance bands with door anchors and ankle bands that can be wrapped around almost anything, love them and the versatility.

I am kinda limited with lower body, but I make it work with sissy squats and lunges. I like to finish a leg workout with just bodyweight squats. Moving slow and going all the way down and only coming up part way, keeping constant tension on quads, 20-30 of these reps has the quads burning.
Calves get trained off a block or the I go and use the stairs. Been doing 100 slow reps standing toe raises, they are always sore the next day.
I use the dip bars for pullups, I've got dip station up on blocks and control the resistance with my legs, very effective.

Home gym for a long time. But also have an LA fitness for the sake of the wife, she isn't big into going, so that's a waste). I've had tons of various things(don't feel like trying to list everything, like 2themaker said, a power rack is almost a staple for a home gym. I'm presently living in a 2 bedroom condo with a den, my 22 year old son is moving out in August. I have my power rack and bars/plates, and a cable crossover machine in storage, I will put that in den when he is gone. The place I'm in has a nice porch, houses dumbells up to 80 pounders. A very nice Hoist brand bench that is solid and adjustable. Dip bars. I was gonna set up my seated row machine, but it was too tight, so that's taken apart and under the bed. I bought the Bodylastics brand resistance bands with door anchors and ankle bands that can be wrapped around almost anything, love them and the versatility.

I am kinda limited with lower body, but I make it work with sissy squats and lunges. I like to finish a leg workout with just bodyweight squats. Moving slow and going all the way down and only coming up part way, keeping constant tension on quads, 20-30 of these reps has the quads burning.
Calves get trained off a block or the I go and use the stairs. Been doing 100 slow reps standing toe raises, they are always sore the next day.
I use the dip bars for pullups, I've got dip station up on blocks and control the resistance with my legs, very effective.

Very nice bro. I also almost always finish with body weight squat, or walking lunges. At the end of the workout they really finish them off with a higher rep range. Good stuff Doug.

I train mainly at home.

There are so many shitheads at gyms that I spend most of my time trying not to get irritated in most commercial gyms. I just want to say, "shut the hell up and workout".
I have an excellent home gym.

Gym - LA fitness

There are so many shitheads at gyms that I spend most of my time trying not to get irritated in most commercial gyms. I just want to say, "shut the hell up and workout".
I have an excellent home gym.

How true, most of the time if I actually go, I end up shaking my head at some of the things I see. I think my favorite thing about training at home, besides the convenience and not having to drive anywhere, is that I don't have to wait for anything to open up. I can also leave weight on machines.
I can also play music that I like without needing headphones to drown out what the gym is playing. I didn't need that back in '90 at a local World Gym, they played rock and roll. Good times.

Last edited:
Done both and I prefer the gym, much more equipment and the ocasional good looking lady to keep the motivation flowing.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws