YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you train only with competing in mind...

Femlifter

Registered
or for yourself?

Here's an outlook:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Never mind. Copied the link and pasted into Google.

Interesting piece. I like where she states, "“Where you see valid achievements or virtue being attacked, it’s by someone viewing them as a mirror of their own inadequacy instead of an inspiring beacon for excellence.”

Last edited:
Never mind. Copied the link and pasted into Google.

Interesting piece. I like where she states, "“Where you see valid achievements or virtue being attacked, it’s by someone viewing them as a mirror of their own inadequacy instead of an inspiring beacon for excellence.”

Yes, it's actually someone else quote used to make a point.

I fixed the link by the way...thank you.

I train to beat myself.....compete matters but if i can beat my own PR's then im good to go

i train only to compete. and have trained for this reason for nearly 10 years.
i tried training just "to be healthy" and i was not motivated enough to really stick with my routine and diet so my physique started slipping...
maybe one day i can train "just for me" but right now what motivates me is the stage.:cool:
-JS

Training with competition in mind is the only way to ensure that I stick consistently to my nutrition/training plan. I'm 4 weeks or so into my offseason and single-mindedly looking ahead to next year. Focusing on the stage ensures that I will bring as much progress as possible next year.

I must have a goal otherwise I could not be bothered.

Worldspan

Just because I love it. And to have a better chance to attract the kind of women who demand a lot of their partner, aside from the usual.

My long term goal is to have 220lbs of LBM. That would put me at around 235 at 5% BF. So, my version of "Big Enough", even ripped up, is not big enough to compete at 6'2". It's not enough to have any luck competing against today's massive guys.

Dunno if I could even achieve that kind of mass to be 280 - 300lbs, or what it would look like if I did. And I think being that big would run counter to my other goals.

i train only to compete. and have trained for this reason for nearly 10 years.
i tried training just "to be healthy" and i was not motivated enough to really stick with my routine and diet so my physique started slipping...
maybe one day i can train "just for me" but right now what motivates me is the stage.:cool:
-JS

Training with competition in mind is the only way to ensure that I stick consistently to my nutrition/training plan. I'm 4 weeks or so into my offseason and single-mindedly looking ahead to next year. Focusing on the stage ensures that I will bring as much progress as possible next year.

I must have a goal otherwise I could not be bothered.

Worldspan

Just because I love it. And to have a better chance to attract the kind of women who demand a lot of their partner, aside from the usual.

My long term goal is to have 220lbs of LBM. That would put me at around 235 at 5% BF. So, my version of "Big Enough", even ripped up, is not big enough to compete at 6'2". It's not enough to have any luck competing against today's massive guys.

Dunno if I could even achieve that kind of mass to be 280 - 300lbs, or what it would look like if I did. And I think being that big would run counter to my other goals.

So are all of you [any any ohers that wish to chime in :) ] that replied really saying that if BB competitions did not exist you would not train and diet just for the love of it for yourself?

Do you all only train for the love of competing? If it is just for the love of it, then why get upset if you do not place or win as you expect?

When you love something, you do it out of enjoyment right? Is it enjoyable to let some other people's JUDGING that may be faulty due to politics, etc.,...define you and how good you are or how good you look, or all the hardwork you did to be able to get on stage?

There are so many times I go to shows and so many people disagree with the judging, and you see competitors getting depressed and upset...why let someone else's opinion bother you?

I could never compete and win. Not because I don't think I'm good enough or my genetics aren't good enough, but I have 1/2 of my right quad with a wicked indention, and only the top of my right abdominal muscle. I don't have the aesthetic look to be a competitor and win. I train to get as big as I can and to stay as healthy as I can. I do want to step on stage one day tho and show people that it can be done if you want it bad enough

So are all of you [any any ohers that wish to chime in :) ] that replied really saying that if BB competitions did not exist you would not train and diet just for the love of it for yourself?

Do you all only train for the love of competing? If it is just for the love of it, then why get upset if you do not place or win as you expect?

When you love something, you do it out of enjoyment right? Is it enjoyable to let some other people's JUDGING that may be faulty due to politics, etc.,...define you and how good you are or how good you look, or all the hardwork you did to be able to get on stage?

There are so many times I go to shows and so many people disagree with the judging, and you see competitors getting depressed and upset...why let someone else's opinion bother you?

I'm not saying that I wouldn't train. Training is a huge part of my life, competition or not. I began training without competition in mind and I would still train if I didn't compete, but I can assure you that without competition, there is no way in hell I'd spend half a year at a time dieting down to a sub-5% bodyfat level. I would continue training as a hobby, and my diet would stay clean, but it's not likely that I would be where I am right now.

As far as the love of competing, that goes hand in hand (at least for me) with wanting to win. What fun is competing if you're not going at it with winning in mind? That's where the drive and motivation comes in.

I compete in PL rather than BB, and my entire life is pretty much focused around my next meet. I live for PR's, but lately I have also been paying more attention to physique, mainly because I had let myself get pretty sloppy over the last few years. Now, however, I am in the best shape of my life and stronger than ever.

Training is cheaper than therapy. :p

lol, even if I didn't compete I'd still train, its my "me" time every day when I get to shut out the world and let go of the bullshit...the competing is just a rediculously difficult way to get nice plastic trophies with my name on them!

Nope, I just love it. Ill train as long as Im able and may never compete.

After reading that "Power of Now" book by Eckhart Tolle, I really try to focus on the moment (the NOW) and not doing things as a means to some end.

I used to work out while imagining constantly the end result. The future biceps, triceps, the future shredded abs, etc. and while I agree that it is great to use your mind as a tool to motivate..

I started realizing training/eating was becoming a chore.. I was becoming slack and unmotivated.

the moment I started looking at each workout session as its own seperate event. No future goal to it. Just that event. Me and the gym and the weights on a Tuesday afternoon... It became enjoyable again. It became a meditation for me.

From the stretching, to the warm ups, to the intense few sets, to the drop down, to the walk out of the place, hobbling from the leg workout.

You can probably tell I'm enjoying talking about.

Anyways I think we get too wrapped up in our future goals, and we sometimes forget to enjoy the current moment.

Rushing thru a shower because we are late for a social event.. is not enjoying the shower at that very moment is it. And if we do that long enough and with so many things, we can look back and realize how much of life we really missed along the way.

I don't want to be that person anymore, so I thought I'd share some new found philosophies of mine that pertain to this conversation indirectly.

Oh and yes. I train just for myself, not to compete (yet.. maybe one day)

I don't compete or probably never will...

I lift because I like lifting Heavy ass weight and I feel good, and most of all it's good for me.

Good for my Mind, Body and Spirit.

I lift because I like lifting Heavy ass weight and I feel good, and most of all it's good for me.

Good for my Mind, Body and Spirit.

I like this a lot, cuz I feel the same way :)

I started cause I lost 20lbs on vacation cause I couldn't stomach the food. Felt so great after and uplifted confidence, I continued.

But now I haven't really gone anywhere. Been a complete 360. I need to make some damn progress.

I started cause I lost 20lbs on vacation cause I couldn't stomach the food. Felt so great after and uplifted confidence, I continued.

But now I haven't really gone anywhere. Been a complete 360. I need to make some damn progress.

What do you think you can improve to get the progress you seek?

What do you think you can improve to get the progress you seek?

Where do I start?

What I really need to do is figure out how to diet and train properly for MY body. Too many forums recycle the same bullshit and then you're stuck in this never-ending cycle of looking the same.

This forum didn't for me, it offered help. Professional help, might I add. I'm going that route.

I'm taking my talents to South California to work with Alex A. That's my way of getting a leg up. 19 years old, natural, and that's how I intend to accelerate my progress.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131