advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you want to tell me that the sport has improved over the last 20yrs?

Big A

IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IFBB PROS
JUDGES
Registered
Newbies
Top 3 Mr Olympia, 20years apart.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-29 at 12.58.47 PM.jpeg

BBing has been declining since 07 I'd say, and certainly nothing compares to the 90's era.

I hope for a resurgence though I wonder if all this mens physique nonsense will give further excuse for participants of the Open Division to neglect the midsection etc.

The late 90s and early 00s, that was the best time by far. The decline began with the arrival of Phil and his reign

To be totally fair if you take phil heath at his best he would belong in the lower photo and probably only Ronnie could have beaten him.

But YES the 90's were the best, genetic Marvel's.

OG's OWNING today's crop...

Although Bboy is probably right... I also think a prime Levrone would beat Phil

Not sure the year.... RC, Jean Paul (I never realized how big this man was) and Michael Francios.

Stacked classes back then...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201129-110215_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129-110215_Instagram.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 93
OG's OWNING today's crop...

Although Bboy is probably right... I also think a prime Levrone would beat Phil
Phil would DESTROY Levrone from the back, also Phil's conditioning murders Levrone

Phil would DESTROY Levrone from the back, also Phil's conditioning murders Levrone
Ahhh yes, I guess I forgot about Kevin's backside

If it's a talent pool / genetics issue, what are the causes? Here are some ideas:
  • Endocrine disruptors
  • Increase in processed food - could consumption very early in life impact the look of a matured physique?
  • People with potential for open bodybuilding staying in classic physique
  • Less good prospects drawn to bodybuilding due to increase in young deaths
Professional bodybuilding is one of, if not the only, sport where we say things have gotten worse over time. Golfers aren't driving balls 50-100 yards less than 20 years go, mixed martial artists aren't regressing in skillsets, football players aren't getting smaller and slower, etc. So why is it that bodybuilding has gone backwards?

To be totally fair if you take phil heath at his best he would belong in the lower photo and probably only Ronnie could have beaten him.

But YES the 90's were the best, genetic Marvel's.
Phil at his best would belong in the 90's but that is the thing. Its only 1 maybe 2 guys. Several in a 90's Mr O line up would be better than those 3.

If it's a talent pool / genetics issue, what are the causes? Here are some ideas:
  • Endocrine disruptors
  • Increase in processed food - could consumption very early in life impact the look of a matured physique?
  • People with potential for open bodybuilding staying in classic physique
  • Less good prospects drawn to bodybuilding due to increase in young deaths
Professional bodybuilding is one of, if not the only, sport where we say things have gotten worse over time. Golfers aren't driving balls 50-100 yards less than 20 years go, mixed martial artists aren't regressing in skillsets, football players aren't getting smaller and slower, etc. So why is it that bodybuilding has gone backwards?

These are the main things imo

With the advent of new divisions, social media bringing other forms of income sources, and the necessary time and variable risk it might take for someone to be a competitive open bodybuilder, guys walk away from this

This is an unforgiving, unending endeavor competitively in a lot of instances. You don't get much out of it, and it takes more from you long term

Guys will create supplement brands, podcasts, social media presence, coaching platforms, and see their income grow exponentially. The stage never gives them that sadly

The talent pool is also not the same; if someone pulls up the 92 nationals competitor list, you can recognize 10 guys right off the bat who become well known. Nowadays, not so much.

Phil at his best would belong in the 90's but that is the thing. Its only 1 maybe 2 guys. Several in a 90's Mr O line up would be better than those 3.
Damn how you doing bro, good to see you posting. Ha ha I still remember us at Jr. Nationals when Mr. Heath won the heavies and overall. Good show, good times.

Understand the point of this thread....but that "20 years later" photo has such horrible lighting its not even comparable.
We're also supposed to think that Rhoden, Phil and Roelly are literally multiple shades darker than the other guys? Nah.
Another point showing terrible lighting.

Back then you had to shoot for looking good on the days of the show, then hold it a few days for your photoshoots. Nowadays social media makes the competitors worry about how they look year round. I think that this takes away from their focus and often prevents the athletes from peaking correctly for the show.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rpsly
NapsGear