YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does anyone get GERD/acid refluc from high dosed metformin?

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've been dealing with acid reflux for 2-3 years and it's only getting worse. I wonder if it's either related to too much coffee (I take teaspoons of instant coffee straight to my mouth with water) or high dosed metformin. I take about 2000mg per day. Essentially with every carb meal.

Anyone struggle with GERD on metformin or in general? Anyone ever managed to fix it? I am contemplating taking a break from metformin to see if it goes away, as reluctant as I am to do so

Try baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) prior to every meal.

Try baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) prior to every meal.

I do. Doesn't help. Neither does Apple cider vinegar (but I do appreciate the suggestion)

I DON'T experience and haven't heard of anyone having issues. I don't see what the MoA to cause this would be. But I also only use 1g, 1.5g at max.

Why do you eat straight coffee grounds? Lol

I do. Doesn't help. Neither does Apple cider vinegar (but I do appreciate the suggestion)

Hmm. I don't have much info or guidance other than try dropping your Metformin dose. I believe when I went up to 2 grams, I started experiencing GERD, so I backed down and it went away.

Metformin absolutely destroys my guts. regular and extended release both. lots of indigestion, heartburn and gas.

I can do 500mg split twice daily and be OK. anything over that and I'm having trouble. I tend to just take that sign and keep 500-1000mg a day as the signature dose for my body

Hmm. I don't have much info or guidance other than try dropping your Metformin dose. I believe when I went up to 2 grams, I started experiencing GERD, so I backed down and it went away.

Metformin absolutely destroys my guts. regular and extended release both. lots of indigestion, heartburn and gas.

I can do 500mg split twice daily and be OK. anything over that and I'm having trouble. I tend to just take that sign and keep 500-1000mg a day as the signature dose for my body

I'm glad I am not the only one. I'm going to back the dose down to 500mg or 1000mg.

Question for you guys...how long before lowering the dose or stopping did it take for the GERD to go away? Was it instant or did it take a while?

I DON'T experience and haven't heard of anyone having issues. I don't see what the MoA to cause this would be. But I also only use 1g, 1.5g at max.

Why do you eat straight coffee grounds? Lol

If I had to guess, the mechanism would be that it blocks carbs (one of the main reasons I take it)

It's straight instant coffee so not grounds lol. And because sometimes I don't feel like making coffee and I just want the effects lol.

I had issues starting at 500 and then normalized. Then went to 1000 and had issues which eventually subsided. Went up to 1500 and it never got any better so I backed down and all has been good ever since.

It never went away. Ive tried using it multiple times at varying doses and for a couple weeks at a time and it never seems to get better

It never went away. Ive tried using it multiple times at varying doses and for a couple weeks at a time and it never seems to get better

Not even when you stopped using it?

Have you had the acid reflux for as long as you have been taking the coffee and metformin? Or did it develop after a long while?

Never had an issue with metformin myself.

Try brewing your coffee from grounds or dropping the instant coffee and see if it goes away.

If not, then try dropping the metformin.

If not, then it could be age.

I used to be able to eat greasy food when I was younger but now I get serious heartburn just looking at greasy food.

Not even when you stopped using it?

Oh yes it stopped after coming off. To some degree anyways. I have a whole host of stomach issues and metformin makes it way worse

i use metformin 2xday, 500mg morning and 500mg evening since 2 years straight, no problems

I read on another thread by Gunsmith that he takes 250mg per high carb meal. Anything over that causes him gastric issues. May be you should try the same. By the way how much are you taking per meal max.?

Last edited:
I read on another thread by Gunsmith that he takes 250mg per high carb meal. Anything over that causes him gastric issues. May be you should try the same. By the way how much are you taking per meal max.?

I don't like to lie so I'll admit I've gotten a little crazy with the dose. I've been using 500mg with mostly every meal, so 4-5x per day (2000-2500mg). I've used less yesterday and today and think I already notice it's not as bad. The extra coffee I've been having has been exacerbating the issue. I think I'll stay on 1000mg. I think it's especially bad with large carb meals. The fat loss effects are really good though.

I don't like to lie so I'll admit I've gotten a little crazy with the dose. I've been using 500mg with mostly every meal, so 4-5x per day (2000-2500mg). I've used less yesterday and today and think I already notice it's not as bad. The extra coffee I've been having has been exacerbating the issue. I think I'll stay on 1000mg. I think it's especially bad with large carb meals. The fat loss effects are really good though.

Why so frequent?

Half life is around 6 hours if I am not mistaken.

Why so frequent?

Half life is around 6 hours if I am not mistaken.

Hoping to get a carb blocking effect with each meal to stay lean, which seems to have been working well

Hoping to get a carb blocking effect with each meal to stay lean, which seems to have been working well

Yes possibly and this is my personal opinion, I think 2 grams is over doing it. And remember, the half life is 6 hours, so if you think taking met prior to meals is aiding in any sort of blocking of glucose/carbohydrate, then it would certainly have the effect within the 6 hours of dosing.

If you want something to help with disposal of glucose, utilize GDAs such as R-ALA and Cinnamon.

Yes possibly and this is my personal opinion, I think 2 grams is over doing it. And remember, the half life is 6 hours, so if you think taking met prior to meals is aiding in any sort of blocking of glucose/carbohydrate, then it would certainly have the effect within the 6 hours of dosing.

If you want something to help with disposal of glucose, utilize GDAs such as R-ALA and Cinnamon.

Yea you might be right. I recently added a new supplement from Life Extension called Longevity AI that's supposed to mimic caloric restriction and act similarly to Metformin, so I suppose going down to 1000mg wouldn't have any negative effects on my physique while addressing the GERD issues.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131