YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does anyone use BFR or occlusion training.??

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know this has be touched on in the past but haven't seen any concrete proof that it works.

I just can't wrap my head around how restricting blood flow can be beneficial in any way.
BUT
Science is definitely not my strong suit so if anyone know how or why it's supposed to work I'd love to hear about it.

I've used it without an injury starting this year, calves, arms especially

Now have tendon gets sore, golfers elbow, and use it

Mainly the build up of metabolites and the manipulation of myofascia. I use forms of blood flow restriction for recovery work and deloads. Doesn't have much value for hypertrophy in the long term despite what research might indicate.

Mainly the build up of metabolites and the manipulation of myofascia. I use forms of blood flow restriction for recovery work and deloads. Doesn't have much value for hypertrophy in the long term despite what research might indicate.

I don't think I've ever seen any pro using them so I was thinking either it's not what it's claimed to be or they keep it secret. I guess I kinda see how you can over pump the muscle past what's normal as the arterial flows is stronger than veinus so the blood would "pool" for lack of better terms causing the muscle to swell more them normal stretching everything more like Synthol does but I could be way off base with that thought.

What would the building up of metabolites do that's beneficial??

I don't think I've ever seen any pro using them so I was thinking either it's not what it's claimed to be or they keep it secret. I guess I kinda see how you can over pump the muscle past what's normal as the arterial flows is stronger than veinus so the blood would "pool" for lack of better terms causing the muscle to swell more them normal stretching everything more like Synthol does but I could be way off base with that thought.

I'm not sure

Don't use it for quads, insanely painful

When I use them bodypart us temporary bigger

I've had two guys come up to me and say it's like using a cock ring, which I thought was inappropriate and told the second guy that's inappropriate, the first caught me off guard and I had no response, unless talking about penises is acceptable socially, I just thought they were socially inappropriate

I do think it has some merit non injuries and esp injuries
Straps are so inexpensive bon amazon

THIS. I think over time we've seen that it do much for hypertrophy but I think it can be a tool in injury when lower loads are needed just to recover. I know Matt Jansen was messing around with it post pec tear. He basically was saying that even attempting to push hard on legs (loading wise) was a bitch and was hurting his pec, so he experimented with BFR training. The company and bands he used are from here. https://b3sciences.com/bfr-bands-comparison/

I recently just tore my meniscus and have been researching ways to still train hard and heavy so i've really been looking into this as well as the Neubie by neufit. My knee doesnt hurt, its just not stable and mostly swollen. I've trained on it for 2 weeks just keeping my knee sleeves on for extra compression and have still loadded up the leg press and hack with it. Probably NOT the smartest thing so im trying to find other options as I attempt to rest it and get some of the swelling down.

Forcing supra fluid volume into the area in theory would allow for greater amounts of nutrient input and output at the cellular, at least that's how I view it. For me I put bands on the proximal hamstring and do deep lunges, the entire lower body feels great after. I do believe if you have proprioception or "mind muscle" disconnect BFR could also help.

I'll disagree with the general consensus slightly. In a rehab/physical therapy setting it has tremendous value in my opinion and experience. It was literally the only thing that helped me restore any muscle to my delt and arm after a screwup during shoulder surgery. And the research is extensive but almost exclusively done upon people in that type of setting.

That said, for healthy people with well developed musculature( i.e. pretty much every member here) it will present no significant value in terms of hypertrophy training. I kept using it after PT in the hopes it would continue to help but I don't believe it brought any additional value once I reached a certain point post-surgery. It may help a tiny bit but not enough to place great emphasis on. Where it can help is during a deload or when someone is experiencing mild joint pain and cannot/should not train with appreciable loads. So, it has its place but should not be the focus of any training plan.

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone ever used Neufit in their training?

A buddy of mine getting ready for North Americans (very good HW) trains clients at my gym and uses this a ton.
I need to take a deeper dive into the actual science of it but every BBer I know who has used it has raved about it. I would love to see someone use it a ton in offseason and take some before and after pics, probably wont happen. It SEEMS to enhance the mind muscle connection 100 fold (this is laymans terms from a JM video i watched).

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone ever used Neufit in their training?

A buddy of mine getting ready for North Americans (very good HW) trains clients at my gym and uses this a ton.
I need to take a deeper dive into the actual science of it but every BBer I know who has used it has raved about it. I would love to see someone use it a ton in offseason and take some before and after pics, probably wont happen. It SEEMS to enhance the mind muscle connection 100 fold (this is laymans terms from a JM video i watched).
I can't remember who it was, but I seem to remember Fouad having someone on that uses this and said that Dexter Jackson used it for his quads, with tremendous results, between his last couple of shows.

My physical therapist uses BFR training on her own quad due to a knee injury that doesn't allow her to train her quad with any regular exercises, it is extremely effective in this case. I wouldn't recommend for someone without limitations, however.

As for the Newbie (DC current based stim unit), it's currently extremely popular, lots of therapists and bodybuilders using it. It is probably best used to retrain muscles that aren't firing properly. Dexter did use it on his legs and thought he saw very positive results, Brad Rowe is the one who is doing this with pros lately...

I once got to use wireless EMG sensors that transmitted to a tablet, I could see the electrical activity in the muscle as I trained it, it was very useful. For example, when doing calves, I could see my left calf turning off slightly during the negative portion of the rep and could easily correct it.

I researched it shortly a few years back and when i saw a study showing a d-dimer raise and what looked like a raised probability for a blood clot......that quickly stopped my research on it
Exactly what turned me off instantly, potential clot risk.

Seems very rare

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5609669/
Although speculative, an initial safety concern regarding LL-BFR training included thrombus formation (i.e., blood clot). Research examining LL-BFR training with healthy individuals and older adults with heart disease found no change in blood markers for thrombin generation or intravascular clot formation (1, 9). Furthermore, data from two surveys of nearly 13,000 individuals utilizing BFR training found that the incidence of deep venous thrombosis was <.06% and pulmonary embolism was <.01% (11, 12).

Exactly what turned me off instantly, potential clot risk.

I researched it shortly a few years back and when i saw a study showing a d-dimer raise and what looked like a raised probability for a blood clot......that quickly stopped my research on it

I don't think I've ever seen any pro using them.

The only pro I've seen utilize it is Mark Dugdale. Type Mark Dugdale Occlusion into YouTube and a handful of videos will come up.

The only pro I've seen utilize it is Mark Dugdale. Type Mark Dugdale Occlusion into YouTube and a handful of videos will come up.
John Meadows has a number of videos using it as well. It's also part of some of his programs.

Seems very rare

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5609669/
Although speculative, an initial safety concern regarding LL-BFR training included thrombus formation (i.e., blood clot). Research examining LL-BFR training with healthy individuals and older adults with heart disease found no change in blood markers for thrombin generation or intravascular clot formation (1, 9). Furthermore, data from two surveys of nearly 13,000 individuals utilizing BFR training found that the incidence of deep venous thrombosis was <.06% and pulmonary embolism was <.01% (11, 12).
Most of what I'd read had dismissed/greatly diminished that concern as well.

John Meadows has a number of videos using it as well. It's also part of some of his programs.
I could be wrong but I’m willing to bet that he isn’t doing occlusion training anymore after having two blood clots form and not having an exact reason why he got them. There are studies showing d-dimer raise But also a bunch of studies stating it’s safe. Who were the studies done on? They sure as heck were not done on steroid using bodybuilders who virtually across the board have hematocrit well above the general public. There are a bunch of guys in this very forum who have had blood clots including a moderater, a longtime member currently, and two former members who have died...both from problems from blood clots. It’s a guesstimate on my part because I don’t know on a factual basis but my notion is the last people you want to occlude blood with is a sector of society using compounds that thicken blood thru rbc buildup that has hematocrit in the 51-60 range over normal 42-49. Could I be wrong? I could but the benefit does not outweigh the potential risk in my opinion.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear