advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does dating deter your bodybuilding goals?

SoFocused

Registered
Everytime I get caught up in starting a relationship a lot of my bodybuilding priorities get placed on the back burner. Like my diet starts to get a bit sloppy and the emotions take off focus from my competing goals. Does anyone else feel this way?

I want to spend 12 months not dating anyone seriously or hell maybe even going celibate just to focus on my gains. Anytime I've ever cut myself off socially from a lot of people is when I've made my best progress

Find a female who is hardcore in the gym so you have simular goals and the same insecurities, same diet, etc.
I can't even relate to women who don't eat right or train. They all look blah to me. I'm used to seeing women that are as hardcore as I am in all respects. Today a girl asked me over for a beer and I didn't even know what to say. I don't put that crap in my body. I just politely declined.

Of course it does...and it's a good reality check that bodybuilding isn't actually life for 99% of us.

I just adjust my training and diet as I need to. No real hardship. It just depends on how focussed one really is.

It makes it hard to compete if your dating someone new in my opinion. I only competed when I was in a comfortable point in the relationship or married. Although my first two wives left me when I was prepping for a show; my current wife who I now have been married to for 16 years also competes. For most people a bodybuilding lifestyle is quite boring and if your with a woman that likes to be spontaneous she will grow tired of the routine. My advice is to date women that enjoy working out; they don't have to be competitors just someone with a common interest such as yourself.

Today a girl asked me over for a beer and I didn't even know what to say. I don't put that crap in my body. I just politely declined.

I would have been like "no thanks, but do you have any cute friends?"

im a real hit with the ladies :sta;-wars

Luckily I have an awesome gf who I have been with for 4 years. I was just thinking the other date how lucky I am. I don't think any other women could tolerate how much I fart and shit from eating all day. I am too old to be holding my farts in for new tail :eek:

It definitely messes with things when you are a serial dater (aka a manwhore) and go "out for a drink" with a few new girls every couple weeks. You start to realize you are having rum and diet coke or vodka diet sprites so often it is pretty much in your daily meal plan.

I close the deal on the first date a lot easier when drinks are involved and going back to my place vs going for a seemingly harmless coffee date and then trying to go back to my place though, so I usually suck it up and end up having a couple mixed drinks each date.

Definitely isn't conducive to my bodybuilding goals but whatever I want to have a good sex life too :p

Other than that though I usually have no issues getting my training and cardio in and all my meals. Even if the chick thinks I'm a weirdo I'm still gonna bring my protein and oats with me and a tupperware container of chicken and rice and munch it in front of her face regardless when I need to eat.

Last edited:
Not really. They were alway cool with "I'll be over after work and the gym. Ps, can you have hardboiled eggs waiting for me?"

If someone had a problem with it, i wouldnt date them.

I don't compete at the moment and I will never be pro. at a primal level literally everything I have ever do in life has an end goal of getting laid. So to me the question isn't whether dating gets in the way of your bodybuilding goals, but whether your bodybuilding goals get in the way of dating. But thats probably why I'm fatter and smaller than I should be.

Of course it does...and it's a good reality check that bodybuilding isn't actually life for 99% of us.

and if it is.....99% of you WILL BE alone....

:cool:

It makes it hard to compete if your dating someone new in my opinion. I only competed when I was in a comfortable point in the relationship or married. Although my first two wives left me when I was prepping for a show; my current wife who I now have been married to for 16 years also competes. For most people a bodybuilding lifestyle is quite boring and if your with a woman that likes to be spontaneous she will grow tired of the routine. My advice is to date women that enjoy working out; they don't have to be competitors just someone with a common interest such as yourself.

This is what I have found also...most women want to go out on Friday and Saturday nights and staying home and prepping meals is just too boring for them. And if you give in and take them out that one night of drinking can fuck up the whole weeks worth of progress.

No more girlfriends for me...I strictly do the friends with benefits routine...although that also can get tricky at times.

I dont know about you guys but having high hormone levels for quite some time has seemed to make me a bit emotionless...I feel zero need for companionship(apart from the obvious physical) or love from women and actually prefer to even sleep alone cuddled up with my cpap lol:D

Dating definitely makes it hard to eat and do everything 100%. All these dinners and alcoholic drinks at restaurants are constant. But at the end of the day, I work on trying to care less about how I look sometimes. I'd rather be out socializing and fraternizing than staying at home and worrying about what I look like all the time. If I live like a monk, then who else will be able to see my hard work?

Last edited:
I'm married but if I found myself single again I would try to find someone with the same values and interests as me. I'm not into the bar scene so it wouldn't make sense to be with someone who was.

I tend to put my interests aside when with a woman. Maybe that is why I dated some of the most beautiful girls you can imagine, half my age. When you young guys were admiring your bodies, I was admiring them. :cool:

the times ive progressed the most were when i had the least... literally just sitting in a small apartment by myself with no gf, pretty much broke w no money to go out or date at all really, and eating the cheapest most basic of foods like a ton of ground beef/chicken/eggs and rice...... when everything is going well, and im dating and have money, i seem to be not as focused but have more fun in life.... I guess its all a trade up

Everytime I get caught up in starting a relationship a lot of my bodybuilding priorities get placed on the back burner. Like my diet starts to get a bit sloppy and the emotions take off focus from my competing goals. Does anyone else feel this way?

I want to spend 12 months not dating anyone seriously or hell maybe even going celibate just to focus on my gains. Anytime I've ever cut myself off socially from a lot of people is when I've made my best progress

If you will be happy living like a monk-shut-in, then go ahead. If you are gonna be lonely and unattached for years on end and can't deal with that, then fit your bodybuilding lifestyle in with everything else with a woman who understands and supports it.

How old are you? Do you have what it takes to possibly capitalize on bodybuilding? I do not offer advice here, but if you're gonna go for years without a serious relationship, when in the end you want to find a mate, get married, and have kids, you MIGHT find yourself being a lonely man. I don't know you from a whole in the wall, so I speak generally and about possibilities.

I'm finally planning on doing my first show in the fall after years of procrastination. But my wife is supportive of this HOBBY and lifestyle. Notice the stress on the word hobby, because that's what it really is for most, a hobby, although a serious one. Some guys are just fine with no deep connection with a woman, no love, and don't want kids. I found dating, though I did get some "fun" out of it, with meeting new women and what can come with short term companionship, but ultimately I found it to be strenuous, time- and resource-wasting, and draining.

Actually I get MORE done with my life now that I have a special woman, my wife, and my supportive and loving in-laws. This brings balance to my life. If my life revolved around nothing but my freaking hobby, I'd be one miserable man. But as I said, if you are fine with focusing on your hobby instead of a woman (I don't see how the two can't mesh), then that's alright too.

I actually DIDN'T want a woman as passionate about fitness as me. My time with her is AWAY from my hobby. She exercises (mostly cardio) and plays games at the park with me in the summer, like paddleball and handball, what I do for some cardio in the summer, but if I had someone wanting to share workouts with me constantly and talking about bodybuilding as much as I can, I think I would lose my mind! My time in the gym is for me. After working with annoying co-workers and other people for eight to nine hours a day, I need one or two hours in the gym or on the road doing cardio with NO ONE TALKING TO OR EXPECTING ANYTHING FROM ME. Then I go home, take care of some stuff, and spend the rest of my time with my woman. That's balance, what I need.

To each, his own.

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone is single these days with all the dating apps and sites. You can screen people that way. Ya lots of people lie and hide their faults, and that means the relationship is kinda doomed. But back in the day met tons of women and dated with good relationships and competed and trained spot on.

Lots of stress daily with work and life and relationships. Bodybuilding will be here for decades for most, the time I spent the most dedicated was the most shallow and isolated portions of my life.
I had a time in my life mid twenties that I had been laid off from work, out of a relationship, and just trained people for a living and alienated family and friends. Great gains but not sustainable long term and it takes an emotional toll on you. We are meant to be diverse creatures and need women as they need us.
Never understood the drinking thing...always went to bars and out on dates and never drank. 99% of the people didn't care, drank water or non alcoholic beer all night and slipped out for meals in the car at times and had a ball.

I hated being lonely and it was just me the weights juice and food.
I realized long ago that I over trained over ate and over juiced, once you find balance - lucky for me before any major health issues or legal issues.

Life is good and I am happy approaching middle age and leaving the 20's and 30's lifestyle behind.
I now thinking of turning 50 in a few years, then plan for early retirement, then 60 and 70. when you start losing family along the way like grand parents it really wakes you up to your own mortality.

You only have one life to live but fortunately we have many chances to get it right.

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone is single these days with all the dating apps and sites. You can screen people that way. Ya lots of people lie and hide their faults, and that means the relationship is kinda doomed. But back in the day met tons of women and dated with good relationships and competed and trained spot on.

Lots of stress daily with work and life and relationships. Bodybuilding will be here for decades for most, the time I spent the most dedicated was the most shallow and isolated portions of my life.
I had a time in my life mid twenties that I had been laid off from work, out of a relationship, and just trained people for a living and alienated family and friends. Great gains but not sustainable long term and it takes an emotional toll on you. We are meant to be diverse creatures and need women as they need us.
Never understood the drinking thing...always went to bars and out on dates and never drank. 99% of the people didn't care, drank water or non alcoholic beer all night and slipped out for meals in the car at times and had a ball.

I hated being lonely and it was just me the weights juice and food.
I realized long ago that I over trained over ate and over juiced, once you find balance - lucky for me before any major health issues or legal issues.

Life is good and I am happy approaching middle age and leaving the 20's and 30's lifestyle behind.
I know thinking of turning 50 in a few years, then plan for early retirement, then 60 and 70. when you start losing family along the way like grand parents it really wakes you up to your own mortality.

You only have one life to live but fortunately we get many chances to get it right.

SOLID POST!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner