over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does donating platelets lower hematocrit

rmtt

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just a quick question. I finished my 10 week low dose Test P/ NPP cycle about a week ago, and it was that time to donate blood as I do regularly anyways. They checked everything before hand as they always do, said my values looked good (17.4 on hemoglobin I think), and then did the drawing.

While this was going on, the nurse took a platelet reading and said I was a prime candidate for platelet donation (number was slightly above 300).

My question is for people on TRT replacement that do low dose blasts a few times a year....does platelet donation keep your numbers in check as good as donating full blood?

They said I could donate every two weeks doing that, it just takes longer which I have no problem with if it helps someone in need and they say they are always needing this as it's only good for 7 days.

But I want to make sure that it's beneficial for me as well as I don't want my numbers climbing too high or even going the opposite direction and going too low as every time I've been to donate even when I've been tied up and missed a few months, they say my values are always in range.

Any advice is appreciated as always!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

As far as I understand it, donating platelets will do nothing for your HH but will lower the viscosity or thickness of your blood a bit. I'm not positive on this, so I think someone like Stewie would be able to offer some more sound advice since it's his area of expertise!

As far as I understand it, donating platelets will do nothing for your HH but will lower the viscosity or thickness of your blood a bit. I'm not positive on this, so I think someone like Stewie would be able to offer some more sound advice since it's his area of expertise!
Yeah....I've read conflicting things about it....some saying that it does or used to with the older machines, but that the newer machines don't affect the values.

Figured I would put it out there in case anyone had some personal experience.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

No it will only lower you platelet count.

HCT is a measure of the percentage of RBCs in plasma volume. Whole blood or red cell donation will lower them.

Last edited:

I think this is what I had read concerning the type of equipment used.....but didn't know if there were new standards for equipment in place for most locations that do this.

Not like I could look at one visually and tell the difference aside from the point that I read the older equipment took and returned from the same arm while the newer units took from one arm and returned to the other. But for all I know...it could have been someone rambling on about something they had no experience with.

As we noticed earlier, the hematological change values differ after the apheresis procedure and might be because of different technologies of the cell separators used, residual blood volume lost in the apheresis kit, the mechanical hemolysis of blood in tubes by machine’s pumps, and the anemia caused by hemodilution because of citrate infusion [14]. There are also many factors that should be taken into consideration when analyzing the effect of plateletpheresis on the donor platelet, such as time interval between donations and number of donated units per single procedure [10]. It may also be because of the methods of taking blood samples, different cell count and reagents used, time period between the end of the procedure and taking the sample, physiologic changes in the donor PLT, wide normal variation in PLTs, a reduced donor platelet reserve, or an altered megakaryopoietic homeostasis in repeated plateletpheresis donors [13].

To manage feritin levels? Hell yes. Hemo? no.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws