advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does Double red cell donation lower hemocrit?

ericraven2003

Registered
Doctor says mine is too high. Will double red cell donation accomplish the same thing as a whole blood donation in lowering it.
Thanks

Yes, it will be more effective because you will donate double the red cells

yep , actually lowers it more than if you donate two units whole blood.

I donate double every time because my RBC runs high anyway.

Kaladryn said on here that it defeats the purpose of the donation because you are returning plasma.

I don't know if this is actually true or not, but he's no dummy.

Kaladryn said on here that it defeats the purpose of the donation because you are returning plasma.

hemocrit is the ratio of red blood cells to total blood volume. if you take our the red cells while keeping the total volume about the same (by returning plasma) hemocrit will go down as there will be less red cells in the same volume of blood

It will lower your hematocrit more than just a regular donation. The only downside is that they make you wait longer until the next donation. I'm not sure if it is 2x as long or not, but just be aware. Some guy will go to several different places to donate.

Another choice would be to have your doctor or a hematologist do it for you. The only issue there is some people do not like sharing with the doctor that they are using steroids. If you do it through a doctor you wont have to worry about your HCT getting too high between visits.

His reasoning for concern are returning your platelets, possibly creating more of an environment of hyperviscosity, secondary to erythropoiesis.

I understand his logic, as with relative polycythemia there's an increase with platelet production. The takeaway concerns would be how functional or dysfunctional (increased platelet aggregation) ones platelets are too begin with.

It's really individualized. I truly don't believe the general population will experience thrombosis doing a double RBC with erythropoiesis.

My concerns are doing therapeutics back-to-back setting the stage for iron deficiency, with or without anemia. This in-it of itself has been shown to increase platelet aggregation. Obviously by doing a double RBC over whole blood, we'll lose twice as much iron, upwards of 500mg.

There's always more to the picture than meets the eye.

What is your HH/RBC, eric? Do you have your lab's available?

Last edited:
His reasoning for concern are returning your platelets, possibly creating more of an environment of hyperviscosity, secondary to erythropoiesis.

I understand his logic, as with relative polycythemia there's an increase with platelet production. The takeaway concerns would be how functional or dysfunctional (increased platelet aggregation) ones platelets are too begin with.

It's really individualized. I truly don't believe the general population will experience thrombosis doing a double RBC with erythropoiesis.

My concerns are doing therapeutics back-to-back setting the stage for iron deficiency, with or without anemia. This in-it of itself has been shown to increase platelet aggregation. Obviously by doing a double RBC over whole blood, we'll lose twice as much iron, upwards of 500mg.

There's always more to the picture than meets the eye.

What is your HH/RBC, eric? Do you have your lab's available?

Yes pardon I confused plasma with platelets. Thanks for the correction and explanation.

does anyone else feel mildly retarded after reading things that Stewie and Scott post.??

I sometimes thing i have a decent grasp on knowledge in health and bodybuilding then i read this and I'm like
"Nope , you're still and ignorant redneck"

How long does this effect body though? If it only helps for a couple weeks then I don't see the point. But I honestly have no idea at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Professional Muscle mobile app

About 12 weeks, it's definitely more than a few weeks

"Male donors need to wait a minimum of 12 weeks between whole blood donations and female donors 16 weeks. So why wait? Unlike white cells and platelets, it takes several weeks for all the red cells to be replaced."

If you have issues with elevated hematocrit you're better doing whole blood because you can donate before your bodies natural stores are back to baseline. However, double red will definitely lower your hematocrit just not as good long term if you are looking to donate regularly.

seconded on wanting to know the number before making the call...if you're on AAS donating blood will not do much, the rebound toward homeostasis is strong on AAS. The only thing I've found that works is controlling the dosage. I've successfully kept my HCT hovering around 50.5 for a couple years now....it improves my athletic output and increases recovery between attempts athletically.

About 12 weeks, it's definitely more than a few weeks

"Male donors need to wait a minimum of 12 weeks between whole blood donations and female donors 16 weeks. So why wait? Unlike white cells and platelets, it takes several weeks for all the red cells to be replaced."

thats for the general population. We're mostly all on supraphysiological doses of anabolic steroids. ;)

seconded on wanting to know the number before making the call...if you're on AAS donating blood will not do much, the rebound toward homeostasis is strong on AAS. The only thing I've found that works is controlling the dosage. I've successfully kept my HCT hovering around 50.5 for a couple years now....it improves my athletic output and increases recovery between attempts athletically.

I've noticed this time and time again. It just comes right back and then I question why I even bothered.

What dosage keeps you at 50.5?

does anyone else feel mildly retarded after reading things that Stewie and Scott post.??

I sometimes thing i have a decent grasp on knowledge in health and bodybuilding then i read this and I'm like

"Nope , you're still and ignorant redneck"

Lol every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on 140mg/week with everyday injections test prop, my total testosterone was 1400 and my HCT was 50.8

If I exceed 1500 then my HCT raises above what I am comfortable with (>51) and I have to drop testosterone down to get in a healthy range. Hence, never pushing my AAS dosage past 140-150mg/week....it is what it is....:banghead::rolleyes:

I've noticed this time and time again. It just comes right back and then I question why I even bothered.

What dosage keeps you at 50.5?

Guess this is highly individual, I got blood work done on 2g test and finished eq about 2 weeks prior to the blood test and hemo was only 48.6%.

Or I have a theory:

Maybe with years of aas use the body will adjust and keep hemo in range, if you come off or go too low in dose and then get back on this will cause hemo to go up, but more steady levels over the years will help the body stay in homeostasis? Just my theory probably wrong and more dependent on genetics

Guess this is highly individual, I got blood work done on 2g test and finished eq about 2 weeks prior to the blood test and hemo was only 48.6%.

Or I have a theory:

Maybe with years of aas use the body will adjust and keep hemo in range, if you come off or go too low in dose and then get back on this will cause hemo to go up, but more steady levels over the years will help the body stay in homeostasis? Just my theory probably wrong and more dependent on genetics

In my heavier AAS dosing days, my hematocrit never exceeded 50. Now even on TRT, it gets higher. I think the longer you're on AAS and the older you get, it's more of a problem. At least with me. Dante says he sees the same thing in many others.

In my heavier AAS dosing days, my hematocrit never exceeded 50. Now even on TRT, it gets higher. I think the longer you're on AAS and the older you get, it's more of a problem. At least with me. Dante says he sees the same thing in many others.

Ok Ill be keeping an eye on it over the years, maybe 28 is till still pretty young

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131