YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does protein burn more calories than carbs/fats during digestion?

syntherolman

Registered
So does protein really burn more calories during digestion than carbs and fats? If so, what's the difference per 100 calories?

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermic_effect_of_food"]Thermic effect of food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Yes. protein is a much less efficient energy source than fats or carbohydrates.

takes between 20-30 calories to process 100 cals protein.
Fat's don't really require much digesting at all, they are almost readily absorbed.
Glucose requires ATP to catabolize, but so long as you are aerobically metabolizing your glucose and not doing glycolysis there is also minimal energy input/waste.

Last edited:
Off the top my head, yes.

Whole protein is a long complex chain of aminos that takes much more effort from the stomach to break down than any fat or carb. And of course all that energy expenditure creates heat.

Anabolic Diet always gives me insane 'meat sweats' mid-meal. I can set my clock to it. I never get used to it either.

It is interesting to note that meats subtract roughly 25% calories due to energy required to break them down, yet it's carbs that ramp up the metablolism....I've always found this odd

Apples and oranges, my friend.

The increase in metabolic rate and the thermic effect of food are two different things.

The physiological response from bolus carbohydrate ingestion is much more hormonally based.

The physiological response from bolus protein ingestion is much more "mechanically" based. The metabolic rate does not increase from protein ingestion as much as the energy ingest is wasted as heat. Making your normal metabolic processes less efficient.

Last edited:
Remember that protein has about 5.5 calories per gram, not 4. So the cost of digestion is already accounted for if you count protein as 4 calories per gram.

Indeed, but I reckon the amount of weight loss associated with high protein diets in bodybuilders is greater because they regularly consume 40+ % of their calories from protein versus 10-20%

People lost more weight when increasing their calorie content from protein (albeit very small). Their starting protein% was already low (compared to bodybuilders) and after the increase it was still pretty low (compared to bodybuilders)

The small amount of weight loss in them is likely going to be larger for bodybuilders because of a much larger % of our calories from protein.

Interesting to speculate, but unnecessarily complicates eating. Most certainly not worth mapping a diet around it, or losing sleep over.

It is interesting to note that meats subtract roughly 25% calories due to energy required to break them down, yet it's carbs that ramp up the metablolism....I've always found this odd

Lol our bodies are a crazy thing

What I have read, 20 percent of protein burns up indigestion. Need extra enzymes. Carbs 8 percent and fats 2 percent

It is because protein is not fully oxidized like it is in a bomb calorimeter. If it were, we would excrete nitrate instead of compounds like urea.

Yes. You really only get 3.2 calories per gram from ingestion, not 4 like is usually claimed.

Incorrect. That is assuming 100% of the protein you use goes to gluconeogenesis. Which it is not.

The weighted average is still 4.

It is because protein is not fully oxidized like it is in a bomb calorimeter. If it were, we would excrete nitrate instead of compounds like urea.

Some is lost to digestion (about 10%) but the rest is lost to excretion.

Yes. You really only get 3.2 calories per gram from ingestion, not 4 like is usually claimed.

This is true, there is another 20% lost in the liver for gluconeogenesis.

Incorrect. That is assuming 100% of the protein you use goes to gluconeogenesis. Which it is not.

The weighted average is still 4.

4 doesn't represent the average left over after gluconeogenesis, it represents combusted value minus estimated digestion, minus uncombusted excretion. It ALWAYS assumes 100% of the protein is metabolized.

Any UNMETABOLIZED protein has approximately negative .5 calories per gram, the protein is not metabolized at all, and is used in tissue, it now becomes potential energy, however it does not release any energy. 10% is still lost in digestion, because this is NOT actual metabolism of the amino acid.

Percentage of protein lost to gluconeogenesis is going to be completely different in each situation, all the way from 0% to 100%.

Last edited:
It's called the Termic effect of food. TEF of protein does require additional energy as opposed to the other macronutrients. However, keep in mind that the TEF only has about a 10% influence on your BMR with physical activity and LBM being the primary components of overall calorie expenditure at rest.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear