advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does raising your HDL actually benefit you?

I have devoted quite a bit of my time delving into this topic of cholestetol, CHD & CVD because it is still the #1 killer in America.

Interestingly, some people who have "high cholesterol" have little to no arterial plaque buildup and dome people with "normal cholesterol" levels have lots if it.

I think the only clear way to assess one's risk is to get a calcium score test which measures your plaque buildup in you arteries.

If you are concerned about low HDL, then I would try improving that number through diet & cardio.

Feel free to ask any other questions, I would be happy to help however I can.

thank you i really appreciate it! ive seen VAP test mentioned before by shelby. would this be the most important test to see where your at so to speak, or the calcium score test you mentioned above?

i dont have insurance so the best i can do is a standard blood panel from my doc :( but ill pay $70 that isnt bad at all

Last edited:
thank you i really appreciate it! ive seen VAP test mentioned before by shelby. would this be the most important test to see where your at so to speak, or the calcium score test you mentioned above?

i dont have insurance so the best i can do is a standard blood panel from my doc :( but ill pay $70 that isnt bad at all

You can do whatever you want as far as testing goes. Find the test, spend the money, and see what's going on.

Highest Quality Vitamins And Supplements - Life Extension (blood tests)
Private MD - Buy Lab Tests Online
Discount Online Blood Chemistry Tests & Results, Wellness & Anti Aging Direct Access Laboratory Testing

None of us have excuses these days.

I am still wondering....

Dr. Serrano says

Insulin
CRP
Homocysteine

Insulin is just a fasted blood glucose test right?
C-reactive protein and homocysteine I can find individual tests for, but not one where they are tested together yet. I havent checked the huge $250+ tests though.

The calcium score test will tell you exactly how much, if any, arterial plaque buildup you have. It will also give you a baseline from which you can work to REDUCE plaque build-up via diet, cardio & supplements.

Coronary calcium scans use a special X-ray test called computed tomography (CT) to check for the buildup of calcium in plaque on the walls of the arteries of the heart (coronary arteries). This test is used to check for heart disease in an early stage and to determine how severe it is. Coronary calcium scans are also called cardiac calcium scoring.

The coronary arteries supply blood to the heart. Normally, the coronary arteries do not contain calcium. Calcium in the coronary arteries is a sign of coronary artery disease (CAD).

During the test, a CT scan takes pictures of your heart in thin sections. The result is a score based on the amount of calcium seen on the scan. The higher your calcium score, the higher your risk for a heart attack.
Most health insurance plans do not pay for coronary calcium scanning. The cost of the test can range from $300 to $500.

Another test, called CT angiography, can also tell how much calcium has built up in your arteries. This test costs more than a standard coronary calcium scan. It uses a special dye that is injected into a vein (IV) in your arm. CT angiography is best for people who already have symptoms of heart disease, and only if other tests are unclear.

Should I have a coronary calcium scan to check for heart disease?

Here is some more cholesterol info for everyone.

Look at the solid blue line, "all cause mortality total cholesterol level" The sweet spot is 220-225 total cholesterol. Yet if you total cholesterol was it that range most doctors would immediately say you need to be on a statin.

Now look at red dotted line, "cardiovascular disease mortality". The sweet spot is @ 210 total cholesterol. Again, most doctors would immediately say you need to be on a statin.

The conclusion is total cholesterol at 210 to 220 appears to be where you want your levels which would certain make most doctors flip out.

**broken link removed**

I saw my doctor a couple weeks ago and I had my lab work with me from another doctor. He knows about my gear use, and I was kind of bragging about my lipids as they were good and I'm blasting.

He tells me, "Your lipid values don't mean shit!" He said all the cholesterol hype is just bullshit to get you to buy more drugs, and it doesn't really determine your likelihood of good or bad health. He said what is important is monitoring your blood pressure and keeping your kidneys healthy. The ratio of HDL to LDL is actually more important than the actual numbers anyway.

I am not a doctor, this is just what my doctor told me. I just think sometimes we blow some of the health risks out of proportion.

i wouldnt be a bit surprised

whats the most important thing to watch would be my question? blood pressure and kidneys seems about right. then again hematocrit, and the topic at hand cholesterol are important too....

whats the most important thing to watch would be my question? blood pressure and kidneys seems about right. then again hematocrit, and the topic at hand cholesterol are important too....

I think whether or not your hematocrit gets elevated is going to vary from person to person. I don't believe any drugs, such as EQ, elevate hematocrit moreso than others. Any AAS can elevate hematocrit. My levels are fine even at 2100mg EQ. That's why regular bloodwork is important.

I'm very surprised your doc told you lipids don't mean shit. That seems like an ignorant statement, then again he knows more than we do lol

I'm very surprised your doc told you lipids don't mean shit. That seems like an ignorant statement, then again he knows more than we do lol

He gave me a long explanation about why they aren't a good indicator, but I cannot repeat it to you verbatum. Basically he said your HDL:LDL ratio is more important than the numbers. He is a very well known doctor who deals with a lot of pro athletes, bodybuilders, etc. I am not a doctor; I only know what he told me.

Yes I've heard the ratio is more important before as well

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner