over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

does separation of carbs and fats work?

DOOGIE DOG

Registered
Are there any studies showing that separating carbs and fats in the same meal help eliminate fat storage while bulking or cutting? Or is it a fallacy?

Are there any studies showing that separating carbs and fats in the same meal help eliminate fat storage while bulking or cutting? Or is it a fallacy?

not sure about any studies but from what I've heard their are two schools of thought about combining carbs and fats

1) bad idea to mix , because the carbs cause an insulin spike and the insulin effectively shuttles the excess calories from the fats to fat storage.

2) good idea because the fats slow the digestion thus lowering the amount of carbs hitting the blood stream at one time effectively lowering the amount of insulin the body produces thus lowering its ability to store excess cals to fat

I personally know for me the addition of a little fat to carb meals definatly lowers my blood glucose response as I've tested it several times so I think having some fats with your carbs is a good idea.
the only time I would think you would want the faster digestion to increase the insulin response is during and after training , that's why I like my post workout meal to be lean fish and white rice with some honey or jelly in it , alot of good fast carbs to cause a big spike to feed the muscle that's depleted.

these are just my thoughts from learning a little bit here and their but to be totally honest my reading comprehension isint to great so I may have that shit backwards !!

hopefully one of the more experianced guys here or one of the nutrition geniuses will chime in and correct me (please)

I assume your talking about carb cycling? Gunsmith is on the money when it comes to insulin....when we eat carbs insulin rushes through are body and knocks on our cells "saying let me in" but if there full or unable to open the doors all the way the insulin will continue past the cells and store as fat.

There are tons of studies on diets high in carbs and low in fat and visa versa.

The greatest success stories have been studies that have days with very low carb/high protein/mod fat alternated with (re feed days) high carb/low fat/mod protein.

Shelby is an expert of the how's and whys.

I did a carb cycling diet recently with terrific results. I had never bothered separating the carbs and fats as long as I had my macros.

This last diet was made for me custom and had preotein with carbs and then protein with fats separate, but occassionally have all 3 combined at breakfast. I will use this method from now on, but haven't looked for any studies.

No, he isn't talking about carb cycling. He's talking about P+C vs. P+F meals.

For some reason fats cause my blood sugar to stay high for longer, so I usually keep carbs out of the meals that I eat my fats.

For some reason fats cause my blood sugar to stay high for longer, so I usually keep carbs out of the meals that I eat my fats.

How did you discover this what feelings did you notice?

How did you discover this what feelings did you notice?

I test my blood sugar two or three times a day.

When I eat my carbs ( about 400 grams worth) and work out, my blood sugar is usually in the 50's about 5 hours later. When I eat protein and fat, I get readings above 105 5 hours later.

not sure about any studies but from what I've heard their are two schools of thought about combining carbs and fats

1) bad idea to mix , because the carbs cause an insulin spike and the insulin effectively shuttles the excess calories from the fats to fat storage.

2) good idea because the fats slow the digestion thus lowering the amount of carbs hitting the blood stream at one time effectively lowering the amount of insulin the body produces thus lowering its ability to store excess cals to fat

I personally know for me the addition of a little fat to carb meals definatly lowers my blood glucose response as I've tested it several times so I think having some fats with your carbs is a good idea.
the only time I would think you would want the faster digestion to increase the insulin response is during and after training , that's why I like my post workout meal to be lean fish and white rice with some honey or jelly in it , alot of good fast carbs to cause a big spike to feed the muscle that's depleted.

these are just my thoughts from learning a little bit here and their but to be totally honest my reading comprehension isint to great so I may have that shit backwards !!

hopefully one of the more experianced guys here or one of the nutrition geniuses will chime in and correct me (please)

> 1) bad idea to mix , because the carbs cause an insulin spike and the insulin effectively shuttles the excess calories from the fats to fat storage.

Well that is an oversimplification. Take for example, the hormone acylation stimlulating protein. It is a far more potent storage hormone than insulin for one. Also (only in rat studies unfortunately, no human ones as far as I'm aware), ASP stimulation (ASP is stimulated by fat ingestion) resulted in fat storage in absence of insulin, whilst the presence of insulin sans ASP did not. Even then, insulin doesn't store fat directly, but mediates its action through lipoprotein lipase. I don't know why people view this as a bad thing. If this hormone didn't do its job, you'd die from too much fatty acids in your bloodstream (hypertriglyceridemia). Insulin is a very nice hormone. It blunts hunger and has potent anti catabolic properties. My $0.02

Last edited:
I assume your talking about carb cycling? Gunsmith is on the money when it comes to insulin....when we eat carbs insulin rushes through are body and knocks on our cells "saying let me in" but if there full or unable to open the doors all the way the insulin will continue past the cells and store as fat.

There are tons of studies on diets high in carbs and low in fat and visa versa.

The greatest success stories have been studies that have days with very low carb/high protein/mod fat alternated with (re feed days) high carb/low fat/mod protein.

Shelby is an expert of the how's and whys.

:yeahthat:

Also carbohydrates and fats should always be inversely proportional.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131