over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dogs Fighting

SugarFree

Registered
I have a 7yr old Black Lab and 2 yr old Akita. About 2 months ago now they got into there first real fight and it was pretty bad. Cost me about 3k in vet bills. The original fight was totally my fault, I gave them both chew sticks and went out not thinking much of it since they were so small of a treat. I usually watch them cause the akita is a bone thief.

Anyway ever since fight #1 we havent been able to reintroduce them together and the longer it goes the worse they seem to tolerate each other. When the fight first happened we could still crate them side by side and now need to keep them in seperate rooms or the lab goes into a frenzy at first sight. The akita thinks its funny and runs into the room gives a quick bark and runs back out and meanwhile the lab will go crazy for like 10 minutes each time.

The vet is telling us to hire a trainer but both dogs are well trained and I dont think theres any teaching the dog not to be scared. Its bit of a longer story but the lab has always been neuratic and fear agressive. We originally go the second dog to keep her company since she was so scared of everything all the time. I didnt know any better at the time and got same sex dogs. Anyway it worked great for 2 years now up until this first incident.

Im at the end of my rope and starting to think about re-homing the dog which I really dont want to do but cant keep both of them crated this much. Right now its like a prison sentence with me letting the dogs out 2 hours at a time on a constant rotation.

Good news is the problem can go away just as fast as it started. I know this sounds like something off the dog whisper but get them both running together. Have ur wife grab one and u the other.. After a while grab the leash of the other dog and keep goin. This should get you started. Good luck

Weve been trying different things so far such as keeping the akita leashed while letting them both out. Results have been that the Lab stays at the far end of the room or leaves entirely and puts herself back in her crate.

We also tried muzzling each and they tried fighting anyway.

One of the biggest problems is the lab is fear agressive anyway and is very vocal and goes right to warning growling. The akita wants to be playfull but soon as she gets growled at goes right into attack mode.

Weve been trying different things so far such as keeping the akita leashed while letting them both out. Results have been that the Lab stays at the far end of the room or leaves entirely and puts herself back in her crate.

We also tried muzzling each and they tried fighting anyway.

One of the biggest problems is the lab is fear agressive anyway and is very vocal and goes right to warning growling. The akita wants to be playfull but soon as she gets growled at goes right into attack mode.

Okay.... So does that mean you have tried my suggestion already or?!????!?

No just explaining things we already tried. After the first fight they seemed to be good and all, even sleeping in the same bed together. As the week progressed though they just kept getting into more fights at different times.

At this point Im kinda fearful that even if there ok one moment, that doesnt mean much. And as you can see really get hurt when they do fight.

I'll try anything but as said am really afraid of this reoccurring.

Sometimes it seems almost unavoidable. I had a roommate with a husky/mix rescue that had been traumatized as a puppy. He was a good dog on his own, but sometimes he would just snap and go after my french bulldog. The frenchie, being a bulldog, would not back down despite being 1/4 the size so things could get pretty ugly. Luckily it always got broken up quickly, but you could tell from the bite marks that the husky meant business.

That really sucks, I had a problem with a male English bulldog who died a few years ago... That breed is normally very calm, but for some reason my was very aggressive and one time got in a very bad fight with my ex's Dalmatian... After that, we've had to keep them separated... It was the dalmatian's falt though, because he would constantly pick on the Bulldog when he was a pup... So once the Bulldog was full grown, I guess it was paybacks... I introduced the Bulldog as a puppy, while the Dalmatian was full grown and they got along until the bulldog turned about 8 months... The fights were minor... But then I separated them and I think that was a mistake, because the serious fight happened one day that the Bulldog hid after I let him in (they used to be on different floors of my house) then attacked the Dalmatian once he was let back in the house... The Dalmatian lost a tooth, but not much else happened, no stitches or anything like that, still scary to watch and something I wish I could've avoided...

Female/female aggression is much harder to solve most the time. You say the akita is playing and the lab is over aggressive? Ill pm you my email address, can you video both and send me a clip?

Good news is the problem can go away just as fast as it started. I know this sounds like something off the dog whisper but get them both running together. Have ur wife grab one and u the other.. After a while grab the leash of the other dog and keep goin. This should get you started. Good luck

Not a bad suggestion, I would meet at a location the dogs have never been to as well before starting

Female/female aggression is much harder to solve most the time. You say the akita is playing and the lab is over aggressive? Ill pm you my email address, can you video both and send me a clip?

Kinda hard to explain... :(

The Lab has always been a bit neuratic and is scared of just about everything. It usually has whatever is the fad of the week to be scared of the most. For example, it was real fun the week she decided she was scared to go out of the house... If I didnt raise the dog from a pup I would swear she was abused at some point.

A few years back she started getting so bad that if someone wasnt directly playing with her she would hide in the corner and shake. It got to the point where she started having seizures. The vet doesnt think its related but I swear it is.

I was hoping having a second dog to play with around the house would keep her calm and relieve some of her stress. And actually it worked well the first 2 years the akita was with us. I screwed up bad getting the same sex though. The akita is very strong willed, very alpha within her own sex but until this point always bowed to the lab. This seems to be changing now which I was hoping the Lab would accept.

Anyway after this past weekend I may be almost out of time now. The mother-in-law's dog was put down over the weekend due to cancer and the wife now wants to ask her to take the Lab. I'd rather see the dog going to somewhere else though IF I have to re-home her. The mother-in-law lives in a city and the dog is already frightened enough out in the country.

Talk to Cereberus, he knows his stuff. I have had this problem with female dogs on and off for the past 20+ years. A very serious consequence is getting bit while separating them. I have received some nasty bites, as has my wife. Emergency Room visits. My fights result from one dog trying to express dominance over the other. I'm always vigilant when I see one dog putting her chin over the other, I also have mace around for any future fights. I am done getting bit. I have 4 dogs, 2 are always operating from an armed truce, they know they will be grabbed hard if they express any antagonistic behavior. I tried muzzles - they freak out my dogs and make them worse.

I always have at least one Rotty, which may be the 2nd most dog aggressive breed in my experience. The first being the Japanese Fighting Dog - the Akida..

Talk to Cereberus. Stay safe, you have some big dogs there that can really hurt you if you get in the middle.

Last edited:
Talk to Cereberus, he knows his stuff. I have had this problem with female dogs on and off for the past 20+ years. A very serious consequence is getting bit while separating them. I have received some nasty bites, as has my wife. Emergency Room visits. My fights result from one dog trying to express dominance over the other. I'm always vigilant when I see one dog putting her chin over the other, I also have mace around for any future fights. I am done getting bit. I have 4 dogs, 2 are always operating from an armed truce, they know they will be grabbed hard if they express any antagonistic behavior. I tried muzzles - they freak out my dogs and make them worse.

I always have at least one Rotty, which may be the 2nd most dog aggressive breed in my experience. The first being the Japanese Fighting Dog - the Akida..

Talk to Cereberus. Stay safe, you have some big dogs there that can really hurt you if you get in the middle.

Thanks and yeah the wife and my son have both already been bit trying to break them up. Which pisses me off to no end when Ive told them not to try and grab the dogs while there fighting.

What kind of videos do you want to see?

If you can get video of the akita and lab when both are in same room I want to read the body language of both. Dont need them to be close enough to get hurt.(on leash is fine)

For now have large blankets around and a fire extinguisher. If they fight throw blanket over them and shoot fire extinguisher under it.

Last edited:

Thanks Triathloncoach.

Sugerfree with out giving my ID...I'm considered one of the top in my field when it comes to canine aggression. I believe can help you but have to see a few things first.

Thanks and I'll see about getting a video done.

What Ive been trying most is keeping the Akita leashed to me in the living room and letting both dogs loose. This usually winds up with Lab staying away. If I sit on the floor, each will sit on one side of me but thats about as close as the get.

We do the blanket thing. Havent tried an exstingusher yet but we do have one near by.

If you can get video of the akita and lab when both are in same room I want to read the body language of both. Dont need them to be close enough to get hurt.(on leash is fine)

For now have large blankets around and a fire extinguisher. If they fight throw blanket over them and shoot fire extinguisher under it.

I feel for you Bro, we have\had a Full breed Akita (Male) and G.Shepard\Akita (female) The full breed out weighed the mix by 30lbs. THey would fight usually over food or something in body language that the female would show (Non aggressive). Believe it or not the female was a better fighter always biting in the upper head area usually around the eyes. In trying to break them up I usually got bit by the female. Second to last fight, She really fucked up the full breed, sliced his ear, and bit a couple millimeters from his eye, Vet bill was 3K and he had to stay w\vet for 48 hours. He came home with a cone around his neck they were in the backyard and Hachi (Male) wanted to play but the female would not have it and for the first time attacked him. She reopened his stitch's and back to the vet, vet advised that we could no longer keep them together, I was not there when my wife who bought both dogs decided to put the mix down. I rushed to the vet and although I put down dogs all my life I never put down a healthy one. THis time if fucking SUCKED, in the coming days I tried my best to find fault in my wifes decision and even tried to hate her decision but it was the right one. I hope the fire extinguisher works for you as for us when the dogs fought, Mace, airhorns, cold water, and even hitting them were to no avail, good luck brother.

get-attachment_zpsa46106a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
duma1_zps3990f54a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
As a professional in this field your best bet is to go see a behaviorist, it seems to be quite a bad problem if they have had one bad fight and now absolutely hate each other, a behaviorist will evaluate the situation and can prescribe meds to control the fear or nervousness such as Prozac, it is dirt cheap and works wonders... Also if you don't want to do that there are a few products out there that work on pheromone diffusion they come in collars and a glade plug like apparatus. I hAve seen very decent results with these in cats and some dogs but if the fights are that bad as to have had emergency visits to you regular DVM I would seek a behaviorist or find a good home for one of them.

Thanks all. ya were gonna have to try professional help. Was hoping time might cure things but it hasnt so far. Its odd in that the one that is scared will go and lay next to the Akita when the Akita is crated but goes right after her if seen outside the crate. A couple recent times so far i let the lab out of her crate before the wife had the akita in the bedroom and they started fighting through the railing at each other. They couldnt actually reach/touch each other but it was dissapointing none-the-less.

Cokneyboy is right about a behaviorist. Most trainers dont have the knowledge and experience. ...since 2008 a lot of them like myself have left the practice. If you PM me the state you live ill see if anyone I know may still be practicing.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws