over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Double quad tendons ruptured

Update for anyone looking at this thread for reference.

It is now October 18th, I had the accident on July 1st and the surgery on July 5th.

Current recovery:
  • I am training upper body as normal now, fully back in the groove.
  • I train every other day, upper body push day A, pull day B. Legs every session.
  • My progress has greatly surprised my surgeon, and he looks after pro rugby players, not just your average Joes, so I'm happy to hear that I'm fast in mending and strength recovery.
  • I've started sitting at my how desk now that I can bend my knees without a lot of pain. Back on those Zoom calls :LOL:
Leg training:
  • Legs curls - strength ok, but there is still pain at the hamstring insertions at the tibia due to a period of low loads.
  • Leg press on Precor - Slowly increasing load and increasing the depth. I started at 5 sets of 15 reps with 60lbs (!). Now I have progressed to 140. 4 pins deeper as well. I hip flexors and hams do most of the work if I don't focus on the quads.
  • Calf press on same precor machine. Progressing well. Still sub-par, but not a big concern
  • Leg extensions. I was cleared for open-chain work on 9/29 and have been working on it. Started with a single plate (10lbs!) Now doing 55. 5x15 reps. Humbling.
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts 3x15. Started these 8/27. Real weak and wobbly at first. Getting better but still shaky when over 205lbs.
  • Rehab sessions about every 4-6 weeks after surgeon check-ins.
Things to note:
  • My knees will give out suddenly at times, especially the right one. You know when kids will kick their buddy in the back of the knee as a prank? That happens now and then for no reason. Spooky. My surgeon says this is due to overall weakness and the fact that eccentric strength lags.
  • Knee stiffness is abating my still present. Feels like there is fiberglass or something attached to my kneecaps. As I walk, my lower legs wants to snap forward.
  • Range of motion is complete. I was OK'd on 9/29 as having full ROM.
  • Knee swelling is way down, but my kneecaps look oddy pointy, perhaps due to teardrop atrophy.
  • I do various movements on off-days to increase strength such as goblet squats and very shallow one-legged squats.
  • There is calcification in both quad tendons, and a piece of my left patella remains in the tendon as it's not worth it to dig out.
  • I can go up stair, but keep the rail handy. Going down is much harder.
  • Walking is tiring because I have to think about every step.
  • Great excuse for both my wife and I to extend our exclusive WFH situation! ;)
My protocol for regeneration:
Frequent consumption of collagen and joint supplements such as MSM
AAS: testoviron 250 1ml/wk; Eq 300 1ml/wk; Anavar 20mg per day.

Happy to answer any questions.

It is now October 18th, I had the accident on July 1st and the surgery on July 5th.

Current recovery:
  • I train every other day, upper body push day A, pull day B. Legs every session.
  • My progress has greatly surprised my surgeon, and he looks after pro rugby players, not just your average Joes, so I'm happy to hear that I'm fast in mending and strength recovery.
  • I've started sitting at my how desk now that I can bend my knees without a lot of pain. Back on those Zoom calls :LOL:
Leg training:
  • Legs curls - strength ok, but there is still pain at the hamstring insertions at the tibia due to a period of low loads.
  • Leg press on Precor - Slowly increasing load and increasing the depth. I started at 5 sets of 15 reps with 60lbs (!). Now I have progressed to 140. 4 pins deeper as well. I hip flexors and hams do most of the work if I don't focus on the quads.
  • Calf press on same precor machine. Progressing well. Still sub-par, but not a big concern
  • Leg extensions. I was cleared for open-chain work on 9/29 and have been working on it. Started with a single plate (10lbs!) Now doing 55. 5x15 reps. Humbling.
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts 3x15. Started these 8/27. Real weak and wobbly at first. Getting better but still shaky when over 205lbs.
Things to note:
  • My knees will give out suddenly at times, especially the right one. You know when kids will kick their buddy in the back of the knee as a prank? That happens now and then for no reason. Spooky. My surgeon says this is due to overall weakness and the fact that eccentric strength lags.
  • Knee stiffness is abating my still present. Feels like there is fiberglass or something attached to my kneecaps. As I walk, my lower legs wants to snap forward.
  • Knee swelling is way down, but my kneecaps look oddy pointy, perhaps due to teardrop atrophy.
  • I do various movements on off-days to increase strength such as goblet squats and very shallow one-legged squats.
  • There is calcification in both quad tendons, and a piece of my left patella remains in the tendon as it's not worth it to dig out.

Thanks for the update M. Glad to see you are progressing so well.

What is proposed to improve your ‘eccentric strength’?

Thanks for the update M. Glad to see you are progressing so well.

What is proposed to improve your ‘eccentric strength’?
Focusing more on the negative, especially with those leg extensions.
Also on off-days I do standing single leg bends, focused on slow bending of the knee while balanced on one leg, then pushing back up. 2x15 reps 2x daily.

As many know I ruptured my quads many years ago.. for a year or more I also had the " leg give out" on occasion.. my ortho said it was completely normal as the biomechanics of the knee has changed a bit.. after about a year I never suffered from it again

As many know I ruptured my quads many years ago.. for a year or more I also had the " leg give out" on occasion.. my ortho said it was completely normal as the biomechanics of the knee has changed a bit.. after about a year I never suffered from it again
LATS - did it every take you down, or just that sudden unlock and catch movement?

LATS - did it every take you down, or just that sudden unlock and catch movement?
Both. Most times it just startled me or made me grab something. It took me down a couple times. It was tricky.. I coukd go weeks with no issue then " bam". It would happen

hawkmoon; "My knees will give out suddenly at times, especially the right one. You know when kids will kick their buddy in the back of the knee as a prank? That happens now and then for no reason"

This has never gone away for me post tendon reattachment. I've tried every variety of training to strengthen the first 3-4" of flexion after my knee's unlock and nothing has made any difference, I still do multiple 3" "falls" every day....and have never gotten used to it since they're so random!

Both. Most times it just startled me or made me grab something. It took me down a couple times. It was tricky.. I coukd go weeks with no issue then " bam". It would happen
Thank you. I'll keep my eye on it.

hawkmoon; "My knees will give out suddenly at times, especially the right one. You know when kids will kick their buddy in the back of the knee as a prank? That happens now and then for no reason"

This has never gone away for me post tendon reattachment. I've tried every variety of training to strengthen the first 3-4" of flexion after my knee's unlock and nothing has made any difference, I still do multiple 3" "falls" every day....and have never gotten used to it since they're so random!
Looks like I have to stay focused going forward and not take easy steps for granted. Thank you.

Discussing with an ortho he suggested re-severing the quad tendons, pulling them as tight as possible and reattaching them, and then having an external metal rod connected into my femur and tibia so that there would be zero chance of any stress/contraction placed upon the healing tendon during the recovery. This metal rod would be removed once PT was started obviously. He also said it would likely significantly limit my hamstring ROM. I opted out.....

HM, great to hear you are progressing. I appreciate the updates so never be afraid to make posts like this.

Definitely take your time progressing with strength. Obviously push yourself but don't let the numbers mess with you. Consistency is most important which you obviously have down so you will continue to make good progress.

Do you do any balance, wobble board, one leg-half squats type exercises in PT or at the gym?

HM, great to hear you are progressing. I appreciate the updates so never be afraid to make posts like this.

Definitely take your time progressing with strength. Obviously push yourself but don't let the numbers mess with you. Consistency is most important which you obviously have down so you will continue to make good progress.

Do you do any balance, wobble board, one leg-half squats type exercises in PT or at the gym?
Thank you.

I do some balance work at home. Standing on one leg on a pillow or the like.
I have also taken to brushing my teeth while balancing on one leg. I'm a violent brusher ;)

My PT wants me to progress to one-legged pistol squats, but my strength isn't there yet, so I do single leg semi-squats with my hand on the table for balance.

Thank you.

I have also taken to brushing my teeth while balancing on one leg. I'm a violent brusher ;)

My PT wants me to progress to one-legged pistol squats, but my strength isn't there yet, so I do single leg semi-squats with my hand on the table for balance.
I would definitely look into a foam wobble board, the one that is rectangle and blue with texture similar to a pool floating raft thing you lay on in the pool. It has perfect squish for medium type wobble compared to the inflatable discs. But with this foam pad you can do one leg "squats" where you really only go down 2-3 inches and back up along with just standing on it. It helps build the entire chain of muscles required to stand. Probably would help the knee giving out issue. You could do the same on a step or wooden block but the foam pad seems to allow higher muscle contraction compared to sold surface. That way you can do partial reps and still beat up on your muscles.

Also I'm sure your PT told you the force of the patella pushing on the femur increases with knee flexion. So upper range of squats is better for patellar health. With disrupted tracking of your patellas it never hurts to train in that upper range.

I would definitely look into a foam wobble board, the one that is rectangle and blue with texture similar to a pool floating raft thing you lay on in the pool. It has perfect squish for medium type wobble compared to the inflatable discs. But with this foam pad you can do one leg "squats" where you really only go down 2-3 inches and back up along with just standing on it. It helps build the entire chain of muscles required to stand. Probably would help the knee giving out issue. You could do the same on a step or wooden block but the foam pad seems to allow higher muscle contraction compared to sold surface. That way you can do partial reps and still beat up on your muscles.

Also I'm sure your PT told you the force of the patella pushing on the femur increases with knee flexion. So upper range of squats is better for patellar health. With disrupted tracking of your patellas it never hurts to train in that upper range.
That's really helpful thanks. I'll look around for that board.

Glad tendons are repaired and resistance has increased. I've thought about collagen supplements as heard they're good for the skin. Do they have different types for different processes in the body, like one for skin, one for this?

Probably not that important but thought I'd ask.

GH would more than likely be of benefit.

Glad tendons are repaired and resistance has increased. I've thought about collagen supplements as heard they're good for the skin. Do they have different types for different processes in the body, like one for skin, one for this?

Probably not that important but thought I'd ask.

GH would more than likely be of benefit.
Types I, II and III are used in different tissues. They are also both in tendons and proliferate at different times in the healing process.

Types I, II and III are used in different tissues. They are also both in tendons and proliferate at different times in the healing process.
Will have to study it sometime if I plan on buying some. I know it can be expensive. And need a certain amount of grams per day, like a small amount won't do much for skin. I'd have to review the grams and what kind. Over time it adds up, from my research on skin care.

Current recovery:
Leg training:
Things to note:

BEWARE OF THE STAIRS! I had a torn quadricep and meniscus of the right knee repaired surgically. I was going down the stairs about 6 months post-op ( holding in to the rail) and my right knee bucked. I anticipated it might happen but still managed to tear my right tricep tendon off the bone and my left hamstring. The hamstring tear was very painful. To this day I avoid going down steps when possible.

Thank you.

Stationary lunges holding a dumbbell while holding onto something to keep me balanced have been best for me. Pistol squats are out. You don’t want to tear it again!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws