over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Doug Brignole Incline bench not that effective for chest

DB incline has always been my staple, I rarely do flat and never do decline at all. I was always taught that incline works your upper chest which lifts your chest up and you don't want to do decline because it works your lower chest and gravity will eventually take over and make your shit sag if you build up your lower chest. For bodybuilder who is all about here and now that doesn't matter but for me who wants to look good for life it made sense.

Kinda sobering to read I may have had that very wrong all these years, I think I'll incorporate more flat and maybe no do much of an angle on incline anymore.

Sorry but my understanding and I think through viewing of the EMG or whatever studies have seen that decline actually works almost the ENTIRE pec not just the lower portion but it does wind up missing a small amount of the upper chest. For this reason my bench is db decline followed by db incline because I think if done correctly (as they mentioned not a steep incline) this would be the best method for hitting pecs as a slight incline press EMG did look like it hit most of what the decline missed even though it didn't quite get all the upper chest I don't think...

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/teen-mark4.htm

not sure if the actual links to the EMG are sourced there (though I know I've seen em) but it says 93% of the chest which certainly involves more than the lower chest... Oh and meant to point out flat is actually the least effective I believe

Also I believe if trying to hit the entire chest with bench my interpretation of what I saw on EMG was a med-wide grip db decline press followed by a close grip incline. Can't re-find em easily but that's stuck in my head.

Last edited:
It's interesting to me how everyone thinks they can so easily tell which specific exercises have helped them build their muscles. I don't know about you guys but I was doing every exercise when trying to build muscle. How the heck should I know which one helped more than the others? Just being realistic.

And the exercises that people like/feel the most are probably going to be the ones they do more often and apply themselves at more.

It's interesting to me how everyone thinks they can so easily tell which specific exercises have helped them build their muscles. I don't know about you guys but I was doing every exercise when trying to build muscle. How the heck should I know which one helped more than the others? Just being realistic.

Well Surely you have adjusted your training along the years? Of course people can tell what is making them grow. Like for me I took out dumbell curls and barbell curls and settled for machine or cable curls and my arms have changed dramatically. I need to feel the mind muscle connection and feeling constant tension has helped me. I used to do a lot of flat and decline and I had a flat ass chest. Seeing that made me change my excercise selection.

incline bench is not best movement for chest at all. Phil Hernon convinced me of this years ago. Decline Dumbell for the win. safer position for shoulders, can use more weight so in theory should stimulate chest more. plus, decline position takes more of your delts and triceps out of the equation prob
-F2S

soon as i changed to decline i never did incline again. the ONLY chest exercises i did at peak of my physique was:
-decline dumbell press
-dips
-stiff arm dips (i think emeric came up with those)

occaisionally pec deck flies....
-F

soon as i changed to decline i never did incline again. the ONLY chest exercises i did at peak of my physique was:
-decline dumbell press
-dips
-stiff arm dips (i think emeric came up with those)

occaisionally pec deck flies....
-F

What is a stiff arm dip? Could you explain please?

Dorian always loved the declined bench, I know that Dorian is not a god nor does he have the absolute truth, but his logic made me see that he was right.

That said, I always have the flat or declining with a bar as the first exercise, and then I can have a incline or flat wirth dumbbell.

Sorry but my understanding and I think through viewing of the EMG or whatever studies have seen that decline actually works almost the ENTIRE pec not just the lower portion but it does wind up missing a small amount of the upper chest. For this reason my bench is db decline followed by db incline because I think if done correctly (as they mentioned not a steep incline) this would be the best method for hitting pecs as a slight incline press EMG did look like it hit most of what the decline missed even though it didn't quite get all the upper chest I don't think...

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/teen-mark4.htm

not sure if the actual links to the EMG are sourced there (though I know I've seen em) but it says 93% of the chest which certainly involves more than the lower chest... Oh and meant to point out flat is actually the least effective I believe

Also I believe if trying to hit the entire chest with bench my interpretation of what I saw on EMG was a med-wide grip db decline press followed by a close grip incline. Can't re-find em easily but that's stuck in my head.

Good stuff. Reverse smith activated upper chest better than incline on EMG studies. If that equates to real life , I dont know...its definately a tool to try out...

There's EMG studies and real world experience, so its good to mix both I think.

Im definitely trying some new stuff and paying attention to if my chest grows or not.

Lots of great idea's on here.

Truly you dont want to go over 10 degrees or so on a incline.. Doug is correct.. the higher we go the more the anterior delt kicks in...I use a 2×4 and it's just fine.. but biomechanically Doug is correct...

you use a 2x4 to slightly a flat bench to get the 10 degree incline, yes?

Good stuff. Reverse smith activated upper chest better than incline on EMG studies. If that equates to real life , I dont know...its definately a tool to try out...

There's EMG studies and real world experience, so its good to mix both I think.

Im definitely trying some new stuff and paying attention to if my chest grows or not.

Lots of great idea's on here.

What is this? Reverse grip on a smith machine? And if so was it reverse grip incline? If so this maybe what I meant and had confused it with close grip? Or close and reverse may have similar effects but I do remember needing a different grip for incline on the studies to get most/all of the upper chest hit strictly with pressing...

What is a stiff arm dip? Could you explain please?

its like doing a dip but with arms straight. the arms dont bend. pushing body up with only your chest. i like doing them at end of a work out when chest is already tired
-F2S

Targeting the upper pecs depends on many things - incline angle, length of arms, leverages, etc.

I've had my best results doing incline presses on a Flex Fit Smith machine with a bench at the 3rd setting from upright - maybe a 30 degree angle.

I never barbell incline press because the angle it puts me in leads to too much delt involvement and not enough pecs.

Targeting the upper pecs depends on many things - incline angle, length of arms, leverages, etc.

I've had my best results doing incline presses on a Flex Fit Smith machine with a bench at the 3rd setting from upright - maybe a 30 degree angle.

I never barbell incline press because the angle it puts me in leads to too much delt involvement and not enough pecs.

do you have long arms? i do and i find that incline barbell on most commercial grade incline benches feels a lot like a shoulder press. low incline seems best for me.

do you have long arms? i do and i find that incline barbell on most commercial grade incline benches feels a lot like a shoulder press. low incline seems best for me.

I do.

Long arms impact all upper body training. I've had to throw out most traditional stuff and do a lot of trial and error with back ROM, bicep / triceps exercises, etc., to maximize my development.

Looking at Jeff longs post...

"Yeah he’s right the Pecs are one big muscle BUT rotating the arms up to press in a incline motion does hit the upper chest more . I don’t care if it’s only 10% greater it’s 10% more that will improve that part of my chest ..

Also yesterday I did straight incline work zero flat or decline and guess what my upper is super sore . Middle lower zero soreness so obviously playing with the angles make a difference ..

This is why I hardly ever take these guys serious ..

Also the evolution thing...
Did he say we're meant to push forward and not upward?

Are we not meant to do squats and leg curls as monkeys? What about tricep extentions?
This whole "what we're meant for" shit is bogus.
A lot of bodybuilding (regardless of EMS) is soongb things were not meant for.
Clearly there's a lot of us who benefit greatly from incline work. I didn't have an upper chest till I did mostly incline work.
Also...I've noticed guys who do a lot of declines have that boob look later in life. They're missing upper chest it seems.

The angle of the bench doesn't have to be that important in the grand scheme. The angle and height of your pressing is. Notwithstanding the bench angle can come into play as certain angles enable certain pressing angles. An example would be you going press very low on a high incline bench because it goes against the laws of gravity. He does go over this a little in the video as well. Fact is inclines can be great for the chest as well. There are no wrong answers as so many prefer and get great results using incline presses. Nevertheless, I do agree with what he states in the video. I prefer a low incline for chest pressing and I use a high incline for shoulder training. Just use what feels best for you. I like to incorporate all 3 (decline, flat and incline) and everything in between for my chest training.

Great DB press shoulder saving tool!

Agree but I have trouble getting db's into place these days.

I fact that's how I messed up my one bad rotator

I use DB hooks that attach to the DB and allow you to start the movement from the top position.Use on all pressing movements. Awesome shoulder saver for healthy or comprimised shoulders.Been using for years and worth every penny+ made by Country Power.Check them out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity