over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dr. Scott Stevenson: Fat Loading

USMuscle9403

Registered
@homonunculus

I wanted to introduce this often scoffed at concept. Every time it comes up people just automatically scream WHAT THE FUCK FAT DOESN'T REFILL GLYCOGEN LOL, so maybe those people will be more open minded with it coming from someone like Scott Stevenson. It's often not purely fat, it's fat used in conjunction with carbs, a balance to manage spillover. I'm still experimenting with it myself. I think @b-boy practices it, as well.

If you have been on a ultra low carb or keto diet for weeks on end then you try and load a bunch of carbs right before a show....it will not end well!!! LoL

If you have been on a ultra low carb or keto diet for weeks on end then you try and load a bunch of carbs right before a show....it will not end well!!! LoL

Did you ever learn the hard way? The same can often be stated about the guys already on carbs who have been dieting on sweet potatoes and small amounts of rice who then suddenly think I may will fine loading in massive amounts of poptarts and honey etc.

The idea is that whatever you're depriving yourself of during a diet, that's what you refeed on. If you're already cutting on medium to high carbs, odds are you might not need a high carb refeed. If you're on a diet cutting both carbs and fat, you could probably benefit from refeeding on a little of both. Makes no sense to be on a higher carb cut but "refeed" on pop tarts and Gummy bears lol.

Did you ever learn the hard way? The same can often be stated about the guys already on carbs who have been dieting on sweet potatoes and small amounts of rice who then suddenly think I may will fine loading in massive amounts of poptarts and honey etc.
Luckily my knowledge gained from my mistakes were gained in precontest and not before the stage (except my mistake made with front loading at Jr nationals). During a precontest diet where I was keto during almost the entire diet I did a trial run carb up and ended up distended and bloated and gassy where I just didn't have the enzymes to digest carbohydrates due to not eating them so luckily I learned that lesson weeks before the show.

The idea is that whatever you're depriving yourself of during a diet, that's what you refeed on. If you're already cutting on medium to high carbs, odds are you might not need a high carb refeed. If you're on a diet cutting both carbs and fat, you could probably benefit from refeeding on a little of both. Makes no sense to be on a higher carb cut but "refeed" on pop tarts and Gummy bears lol.

Many guys still do it though because they want to take in very high carbs and obviously don't want the food volume of most of the main carbs (potatoes, rice and oats etc) people eat. They often also want high amounts of fast acting carbs as well. I 100% agree and it's stupid (well not always). So many reasons to go over but I won't bore people but obviously shitty foods in high amounts are usually the worst thing for gas and bloating especially if you are not used to eating them.

BBoy makes a great point in his last post in regards to enzymes like amylase, maltase and sucrase etc. Many guys also have slight allergies to certain food and don't realize it. This is not in relation to prep but it makes me think of me and milk. I used to drink it daily with some issues but nothing bad but after months of not consuming it my body stopped producing as much lactase and as a result when I first introduced it again I had extreme gas and bloating.

@b-boy Sorry if I've ever asked this before, but do you bother with counting calories on a higher fat day or just let the chips fall where they will? Do you try to keep it to just higher amounts of fat or do you refill on moderate amounts of carbs, too?

Many guys still do it though because they want to take in very high carbs and obviously don't want the food volume of most of the main carbs (potatoes, rice and oats etc) people eat. They often also want high amounts of fast acting carbs as well. I 100% agree and it's stupid (well not always). So many reasons to go over but I won't bore people but obviously shitty foods in high amounts are usually the worst thing for gas and bloating especially if you are not used to eating them.

BBoy makes a great point in his last post in regards to enzymes like amylase, maltase and sucrase etc. Many guys also have slight allergies to certain food and don't realize it. This is not in relation to prep but it makes me think of me and milk. I used to drink it daily with some issues but nothing bad but after months of not consuming it my body stopped producing as much lactase and as a result when I first introduced it again I had extreme gas and bloating.

I meant to clarify that one can still load carbs when on a higher carb diet, as higher calorie days in general help greatly from a hormonal standpoint if one is running any type of deficit. Research seems to suggest, however, that in order to truly benefit physiologically from a refeed, it probably needs to span two days, possibly more. If you're doing just a cheat meal or whatever, you're really only doing it for mental well being and to maybe have a little extra jam in the gym the next day or so.

Geez... Off-topic sorta, but I thought I about this thing whipped. Been eating nearly carnivore, not really high fat, though. I find if I eliminate a lot of veggies, my digestion is actually better. Anyway, fastest way for me to get fat adapted. Then out of nowhere, something screams YOU NEED SUGAR FATTY. Hopefully this higher calorie day tomorrow takes care of that craving...

@b-boy Sorry if I've ever asked this before, but do you bother with counting calories on a higher fat day or just let the chips fall where they will? Do you try to keep it to just higher amounts of fat or do you refill on moderate amounts of carbs, too?
I count calories and closely keep track of the fat grams on my higher fat refeed day. Valuable information for future preps and diets.
If I'm keto and staying keto then it's only a higher fat refeed. If I'm doing a CKD type approach then it's higher carbs low fat refeed.

I count calories and closely keep track of the fat grams on my higher fat refeed day. Valuable information for future preps and diets.
If I'm keto and staying keto then it's only a higher fat refeed. If I'm doing a CKD type approach then it's higher carbs low fat refeed.

Thanks, dude. I bother you a lot because you and I do things similarly.

Doing my fat load today with nut butters, whole eggs, cheese, avocado, everything cooked in grass fed butter.

If you've got a Costco membership, you ever try that Kerrygold 'Dubliner' Grass Fed Cheese? You can get a nice sized block of it. Awesome stuff, but it dries quickly, so make sure it stays covered.

Man, Vital Farms Pasture Raised Eggs are fuckin delish! Best I've found off the store shelf. I can't buy farm fresh anymore, but damn, these are on par. $5 a dozen on sale at Publix right now, so pricey, but I think they're worth it. Just fried in butter, yolks left runny, Trader Joe's Everyday Season and Green Dragon Sauce

7281.jpeg

From what I remember you werent too fond of competing anymore - so what do you do for maintenance? Or are you trying to gain, diet etc?

Luckily my knowledge gained from my mistakes were gained in precontest and not before the stage (except my mistake made with front loading at Jr nationals). During a precontest diet where I was keto during almost the entire diet I did a trial run carb up and ended up distended and bloated and gassy where I just didn't have the enzymes to digest carbohydrates due to not eating them so luckily I learned that lesson weeks before the show.
The best way to learn is from our own mistakes.

Higher fat today, but calories are down. Down again tomorrow. Ribeye and portabellas fried in copious amounts of real grass fed butter

7419.jpeg

From what I remember you werent too fond of competing anymore - so what do you do for maintenance? Or are you trying to gain, diet etc?
I pretty much try and just maintain, I don't like to gain much fat, I eat just to maintain a certain leanness

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131