over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Drinking while eating. Thought this was interesting

hollaatyaboyy1

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Friend of mine is not into bodybuilding or fitness just wanted to get healthier Nd loose weight. Went to a nutritionist and most if the stuff he was telling me that they said was pretty accurate. As far as portion control and protiens and carbs with healthy fats ... So now he starts talking about how the worst thing in the world is to drink whilebu eat. According to the nutritionist you should wait one hour before drinking anything after you eat

Now I am thinking he is talking about "filling up" on water but no.. he said the nutritionist was saying there is so much acid in the stomach and digestive system that you do not want to dilute it with water because it will effect how it breaks down the food and ur body will not utilize all the nutrients....

They then showed him.an example with a price of chicken in a cup with acid and how fast it was breaking down then they added water and it was taking a hell of a lot longer ....

Didn't know what to feel about this but sounded interesting.... YOUR THOUGHTS
Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

I agree, helps a lot

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think that nutritionist is picking pepper out of gnat shit.

This is absolutely true. I try not to drink anything with my meals except maybe just a sip of something to cool my mouth off if it's spicy food or really hot.

scientifically yes water does dilute acid and make it less acidic or potent. but i think this may be just getting a little to technical for me. For me and the way my job and training is i have to keep drinking water all day long or i would be a dehydrated mess. i ussually eat when hungry which is every 2 hours. id say in between those 2 hours im drinking 1 liter plus of water.

pH = -log [H+]

You would have to dilute a solution by a factor of ten in order to change the solution pH by a single unit. So if the stomach content of digestive juice is 50 mL @ pH 1.5 you'd have to add 500 mL to change it to pH 2.5.

So even though the overall concentration of acid is less, it is still acidic enough to cause hydrolysis (digestion) of the proteins in your food.

On the pH scale stomach acid has a value of 1 - pretty much as acidic as it gets. 1 - 6 - acidic, 7 - neutral, 8 - 15+ - basic.

Also, a lot of digestion and absorption takes place in the small intestine, not the stomach. And liquid aids in digestion, it does not inhibit it. Liquids pass thru the stomach quickly, so the water would drain and the stomach would release more acid to compensate for the increased pH.

I would not avoid liquids while eating.

When I'm trying to gain weight I'd be lost without being able to wash my food down.

But this is very interesting.

If you wanna nit-pick the hydrogen and oxygen atoms are constantly moving so that would help erode your food, just like letting your dishes sit in plain old water helps loosen up everything :D

Last edited:
What about having some apple cider vinegar with a meal? I've used it before to help with digestion and I would assume if you needed to drink a lot of water to wash down your meal this would negate the effect that the water would have on dilluting the stomach acid.

Just my hypothesis, not sure if there is any scientific turth it, but it has helped with bloating and digestion for me in the past.

pH = -log [H+]

You would have to dilute a solution by a factor of ten in order to change the solution pH by a single unit. So if the stomach content of digestive juice is 50 mL @ pH 1.5 you'd have to add 500 mL to change it to pH 2.5.

So even though the overall concentration of acid is less, it is still acidic enough to cause hydrolysis (digestion) of the proteins in your food.

On the pH scale stomach acid has a value of 1 - pretty much as acidic as it gets. 1 - 6 - acidic, 7 - neutral, 8 - 15+ - basic.

Also, a lot of digestion and absorption takes place in the small intestine, not the stomach. And liquid aids in digestion, it does not inhibit it. Liquids pass thru the stomach quickly, so the water would drain and the stomach would release more acid to compensate for the increased pH.

I would not avoid liquids while eating.

500mL is not a lot. I could easily already have that much water in my stomach and drink another L with a meal. That would have a pretty significant effect. I can notice a difference in how soon I feel hungry again. If I drink lots of fluids with a meal I stay full longer. FWIW.

500mL is not a lot. I could easily already have that much water in my stomach and drink another L with a meal. That would have a pretty significant effect. I can notice a difference in how soon I feel hungry again. If I drink lots of fluids with a meal I stay full longer. FWIW.

True - I don't know, but it seems to me that the desire for homeostasis would mean that pH levels will be modified regularly (like the release of addditonal HCL to compensate for increased pH) so it really wouldn't make a significant difference when it comes to absorption.

Also, the long carbon chains in the proteins and starches need to be broken before they can be used by the body. They do this by hydrolysis, which essentially means breaking by water.

So the water that you drink will probably go to breaking the bonds in these chains. I really don't think I would be particularly concerned about it diluting your stomach acid.

But I'm not a chemist. I do have a degree in nutritional biochemistry but like I said, I'm not a chemist. 2 full years of chem though as part of my curriculum.

I understand this concern and makes sense.

However, how granular do you folks what to get here ?

I mean com'on !

I like my food with a nice glass of wine or two, so be it.

Enjoy your food and drink fella's,

Chip

I drink about 5 glasses of water with each meal, I could never eat without drinking.

id say this is a lil too technical for my taste..im a very fast eater always have been and if i didnt drink anything while i eat than i would choke to death!! another example i remember learning in college anatomy class was that you should chew your food at least twelve times before swallowing that will help you actually put on less fat and help the body absorb nutrients better i thought to myself really i gotta count how many times i chew my food?? as we say in jersey FUH GETA BOUT IT!!

I drnk water and soda with atleast two meals a day, water and orange juice in morning, water the rest of the day along with poweraid and possible iced tea. Sorry but I refuse to eat without a drink, and would feel disgusting, like I abunch of chewed up food chillin between teeth and throughout mouth

I don't disagree thatit may be correct but I just can't be that up tight about life. It's bad enough how much time is spent in this life style and I understand that a lot want to make the most of it, but I'd say that about 99% of those who think they will become pro won't, and if just doing this for hobby, looks, fun, health, then you don't have to be that serious. If you are competing and this would help along the way then have at it.

And yes I drink soda, pretty horrid habit. My girl works for a dentist and both of them are always telling me how damaging it is to our teeth, and I can only imagine what it does to the body but I try to drink water with it to attemp to prevent some damage to enamel. I just love a cold drink when eating, love it.But absolutely something to consider with digestion, but I agree as well that allot of the work takes place in the intestines, and even with drinking large amounts of liquids while eating I absorb nutrients just fine, I think.

I could never eat bearded clam without a big glass of water or something. :D

I could never eat bearded clam without a big glass of water or something. :D

Juice the clam into a glass of tomato juice... BOOM Clamato juice.

BEAST

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner