over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Drinking with meals and digestion

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Rather than highjack someone's post I figured I'd start another thread so it can be discussed.

So it was mentioned in another thread that some coaches advise their clients to NOT drink alot of fluids with their meals to help them get the food down and help with digestion.
I've personally never heard of this tactic bit I have heard of drinking plenty with each meal when dieting as it helps keep you satisfied longer between meals.

So aside does anyone else restrict their fluid intake when eating during a "growth" or "bulking" phase to allow them to eat more food.???

Honestly dont think it matters and will gain or lose you 1 oz of mass in real world applications. Stepping over 100 dollar Bill's reaching for quarters. I'd say some pineapple and sauerkraut are more important and then hydrating around training maybe.

When growing, we want meals with plenty of protein and carbs and some fat. The more of anything else you include - vegetables, water, whatever - the less room you have for those essentials. When you're doing 5,000-6,000 calories / day for months you need every advantage possible to keep getting those calories in.

The concept of drinking water with meals while dieting needs to be reversed here - we want to drink less fluids with meals so we're not falsely satiated and can still get down all the food. Beyond that, you're already going to be bloated in a serious growing phase and excess fluid at each meal only makes that worse, both visually and how you feel.

Personally, I really only drink with meals when I feel food getting backed up and need something to get it all down the esophagus. But I'll often down 10-12oz. after a meal to both satisfy thirst and ensure everything is moving through.

I think some things are only for competitors at the highest levels of the sport. The pro stage or trying to get a pro card and you'd want to use every advantage possible, no matter how minute. Some of this stuff is just way too anal for non-competitors; guys that go to the gym. The no fluids while eating and eating the protein first are just two things I will never, ever do.

I know your thread was likely targeted towards competitors. I only chimed in because people of all levels will come across this and think they need/should be doing it too when it's just not worth it to be that obsessive. Especially if they're already consistent with training and meals.

I rarely drink during meals, but do not restrict water 30 minutes before or after eating.

I reduced drinking during meals according to theories that it impairs digestion. All I can say is it has been beneficial for me. Ten years ago it may have made no difference, but at 50+ my digestive system needs all the help it can get.

You know what is funny ?

I learned in elementary school not to drink during meals , i just done it my whole life cause of this

I have never drank with my meals. Especially while bulking. I drink before when dieting down to feel fuller. Or drink after some digestion when bulking to help process it though the system.

I don't get guys who think this is too much or bodybuilders going crazy. Obviously if you are thirsty have a drink. However for someone who suffers from massive bloating issues I started doing this about 5 years ago and it made a noticeable difference. It's not like I deprive myself of fluids I just tend not to drink much whilst I eat. For anyone who doesn't get severe bloating issues they wouldn't need to try it but if you do it could make things/life much better for you. I actually prefer not to drink whilst eating now and it's not like I am anal and time anything but I will usually wait at least 15 mins or so before I drink anything. I would also recommend a short walk after meals when/if possible.

I never drank during meals, not seems something normal or mandatory, however, it seems like a cultural custom, but it doesn't make sense to my body regardless of whether I think in terms of bodybuilding or not. Obviously there are times when you need some water, salty food, too spicy or if you form a mass of dried meat or oatmeal in your mouth that you cannot swallow without a little help.

I can't eat my meals without water because I have to force feed most of my day. I just dont have much of an appetite. If i didn't do this I'd be eating like one small meal a day. What i do might not be ideal but its better than the alternative.

I was on date the other night and she asked me ''so you don't want anything to drink with your meal''?

I said no, I'm bulking.

Some of these threads get silly.

Rather than highjack someone's post I figured I'd start another thread so it can be discussed.

So it was mentioned in another thread that some coaches advise their clients to NOT drink alot of fluids with their meals to help them get the food down and help with digestion.
I've personally never heard of this tactic bit I have heard of drinking plenty with each meal when dieting as it helps keep you satisfied longer between meals.

So aside does anyone else restrict their fluid intake when eating during a "growth" or "bulking" phase to allow them to eat more food.???
Drinking water with food dilutes your stomach acid and impairs digestion. If you have a hard time getting the food in that you need this will definitely help you process more efficiently

I was on date the other night and she asked me ''so you don't want anything to drink with your meal''?

I said no, I'm bulking.

Some of these threads get silly.

The first sentence of this post is in reply to yours the rest is pretty much to everyone. This thread is far from silly. Again if guys can eat and drink want they want go for it. If someone tends to not drink during a meal it doesn't mean they can't have a drink when they go on a date. It doesn't have to be a unbreakable rule and use some common sense. This should also not be about competitor and non competitor. A non competitor might want to be huge and has to eat loads of food to get there. A competitor may weigh 150 on stage. Some guys can eat and drink what they want and they don't get bloated but there are so many variables. This is also not a you're too anal for 1% difference. This can make a massive difference to someone who struggles with digestion issues and they want to get really big. It also doesn't mean people have to deprive themselves of fluids. Drink if they need to drink and I recommend loads of water between meals.

If guys want to drink during meals go for it and that might work best for them. Daniel's post pretty much summed things up. A lot of the guys who totally dismiss this do you ever get digestion issues? Have you ever consistently ate over 5000 calories per day? Again some guys could eat well over 5000 cals and drink loads with every meal but if you do have occasional issues this approach may benefit you. For guys eating 3000 cals per day who don't weigh much and don't want to get huge with next to no digestion issues it's not going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Interesting thread.
I've taken a ton of survival courses and a major concept is if you dont have water, dont eat. Digestion takes water so eating without having a water supply will speed dehydration and your death.
I know its 2 different things, I just think its interesting.
Personally, I generally don't drink with a meal unless something is overly dry. But thats because I shovel my food in like someone is going to steal it. Then I chug water after. This came from years of having 5 min to get in a meal while standing working in a restaurant.
When I'm bulking, I try to get as much down as possible before I have a chance to realize how full I am then hope no one is taking up the bathroom in 2 hours when its time to go turn it into another chernobyl.

Interesting thread.
I've taken a ton of survival courses and a major concept is if you dont have water, dont eat. Digestion takes water so eating without having a water supply will speed dehydration and your death.
I know its 2 different things, I just think its interesting.
Personally, I generally don't drink with a meal unless something is overly dry. But thats because I shovel my food in like someone is going to steal it. Then I chug water after. This came from years of having 5 min to get in a meal while standing working in a restaurant.
When I'm bulking, I try to get as much down as possible before I have a chance to realize how full I am then hope no one is taking up the bathroom in 2 hours when its time to go turn it into another chernobyl.
For a survival situation yes you would need to drink water with your food. But for most bodybuilders.....we are very well hydrated and this isn’t an issue. What is an issue for many of us is that drinking water with food dilutes your stomachs acid causing it to take longer to digest and possibly leading to stomach upset. For someone like me with a whole host of digestive issues I have to do everything I can to optimize my digestion in order to get my meals in. So I take betaine hcl and digestive enzymes with meals, I don’t drink water until 30 minutes before or after eating, I only eat fast digesting carb sources like sticky rice, and a host of other things

I agree with much has been said here. If your stomach produces too much acid, maybe drinking water is fine as it could help dilute acid. If it produces too little acid, then you may get bloating or indigestion or be eating too fast. Dialing this in for yourself should not be difficult. I'm fortunate. I simply drink so much water daily that I no longer even think about it. Before, during, and after just about anything and everything. Then again, I don't get GI problems except when I add creatine. It has always made me bloated.

Usually, if I'm eating, then I'm eating. Sometimes, like turkey for example, it is just so damn dry, it takes a sip just for lack of saliva. Even then I chew the food while keeping the water in my mouth. I've never agreed with "washing down" your food. If you're properly hydrated, your food should go down normally.

I think more importantly, whenever possible, don't rush through a meal. Take your time. Digestion starts in the mouth. Saliva contains amylase and lipase. You're digesting before you even swallow the food. Gulping food and liquids too quickly puts greater stress on your stomach possibly causing indigestion, bloating, or reflux. As your food passes to the upper intestine, enzymes continually break down the food and extract vital macro- and micro-nutrients, and finally to your lower intestine where the fluid is reclaimed and solidified into waste. Alternatively, sometimes the digestive fluid is not reclaimed (for whatever reason) and then you're squirting valuable nutrition into the toilet.

It couldn't take more than a week or two to dial this in for yourself. Many of these things are not a "one size fits all" where one single approach works identically for every last person on Earth.

Optimize your meals/eating habits for maximal absorption. Don't eat under stress. Don't just hurriedly gulp down a maximal amount of food to get calories in everyday and hope you'll get the nutrition from them. I've tried. You won't. You're just taking more and more expensive dumps.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131