over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

dropping your water for the show

ezekiel2320

Registered
could ryroid, wyldeone, bigkiwi or bigA
walk me through exactly what you do the last week before the show to get rid of your water...
how much water do you drink? when do you cut it?
diuretics?
thanks for the help

Drying out

Ekeziel,

I saw you asked me the same in the pic forum, so I thought I'd chime in.

I plan on doing some things differently next go 'round, but here's the basic scheme that has worked in the past. (Had a buddy try the same thing and he actually had to hold back a bit, thinking he was going to come in "too dry" (whatever the hell that means!) LOL)

I have all of this in a spreadsheet that I drag around, b/c during the last week, I barely remember my name sometimes.

Day: Sun M T W R F Sat
Train Deplete Depl. Depl. None none none
Carbs none none post-train (5 g / lb / day) ----------->all protein
Water as des 9 L 10 L 11L 12L 13L 1L

I have a bunch of supplements I take, but I'll just name them, b/c the table thing I started above is a pain in the ass.

Creatine: 20g / day during carb-up
Alph. Lipoic Acid: 100-200 mg / meal during carb up
ECA: Tues through show
Vit C: increase Tues - Sat. to 10g / day on show day
Herbal diuretics: like vitamin C
Potassium: eat like candy Tues - wed.
Sodium: (pick low sodium meat for Fri no carb day - I use chicken)

Most important to all this is:

RAMP the water up until Fri night (I stop around 7PM), then drink none until after pre-judging - this will require some playing around to see how fast you lose the water (may have to stop drinking earlier). 13L of water is like 28lb of water!!! I have considered catherizing myself during the last few days - you will be peeing like a som' bitch, but its worth it... 8^)

Basic idea: 1) Deplete, 2.) carb-up, 3.) don't train (keep glycogen in muscles), 4.) drop carbs, 5.) stop drinking and lose water, 6.) come in dry and full.

Priciple: There is some play in hormonal regualation of water balance - like the shitty thermostat I have: set it for 72 ? and it heats until its 80 (overshoot), before it turns off. When you drink so much water and have so many other things driving diuresis (caffeine, vit. C that must be cleared by the kidney, urea from the pure protein diet, herbal diuretics, etc.), diuresis is turned on to such an extent that there is "overshoot" and you end up dryer. (This can also be though of in terms of hyponatremia that the body corrects via diuresis.)

THis is different than what some guys do: they like to carb-up the days before, but this can lead to holding water. There are lots of variables to jucggle all at the same time this way. My plan handles them one at a time.

Thing I will add and report back on is some carbs during the 12 - 18 hr before the show, to bring out vascularity (and feel better show day), even though I haven't been flat with the above.

-Randy

Re: Drying out

homonunculus said:
Day: Sun M T W R F Sat
Train Deplete Depl. Depl. None none none
Carbs none none post-train (5 g / lb / day) ----------->all protein
Water as des 9 L 10 L 11L 12L 13L 1L
Randy - what do you mean by "deplete" in regards to training?: "Train Deplete Depl. Depl. None none none"

xcel

i agree, randy, its difficult to understand that way.

heres some more info from wylde over on Bolex:

**broken link removed**

Jeez, that looks like shit!

xcelbeyond said:

Randy - what do you mean by "deplete" in regards to training?: "Train Deplete Depl. Depl. None none none"

xcel

SOrry about that - the extra spaces were removed when it was posted, so the columns were condensed and misaligned.

Anyway, by deplete, I'm referring to a depletionn workout. I've done these several different ways:

1.) 3 day split over Sun, Mon and Tues. 10-12 sets of 15-20 reps / major muscle groups, 5-8 sets x 15-20 reps smaller muscle groups. E.g., Sun:Legs; Mon: Back, Bi's, Traps; Tues: Chest, shoulders, tri's, abs

2.) Split as above using german volume training (10 x 10 w/ 1 min rest between sets)

3.) train full body all three days: 5 x 15-20 major, 3 x 15-20 minor muscle groups. THIS SUCKS FRIGGIN' ASS, and might be overkill I think - too damaging to the muscle training 3 days in a row.

Another addition would be to add insulin during the carb-up, maybe at the end to top off glycogen stores.

-Randy

Thing I will add and report back on is some carbs during the 12 - 18 hr before the show, to bring out vascularity (and feel better show day), even though I haven't been flat with the above.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy, could you elaborate on this a little more? i dont understand what you are saying here.

is it that you carb load early and then maintain till show. then if needed throw in xtra cabs in the hours before prejudge?

You got it.

is it that you carb load early and then maintain till show. then if needed throw in xtra cabs in the hours before prejudge?

--------

The plan would have me essentially carb'ed up by Thurs.

As before, I'll drop the carbs on Friday and go with chicken breasts only until the weigh-in.

Post-weigh-in, I'd add carbs again up through the pre-judging. With this scheme, I think it would be good to *finish my water consumption by noon on Friday* (Prob. try to get 6 L or so in), so when I add in the carbs, I'll be drying out and less likely to hold water.

This would also leave me lighter for the weigh-in, which might put me under the light-heavy limit, but I'm not really concerned about that...

Of course, I haven't done or tried this yet, but I probably will ~3-4 weeks out (when I can really see subtle changes) of my show in July.

-Randy

thanks for the links
i'll let you know which one i try

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws