over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

EAA vs Protein Powder

xpoc

Registered
The norm for most bodybuilders is to supplement their diet with some form of protein powder. Duh right. Generally, whey protein isolate seems to be the majority choice. I have read about those interested in cutting calories switching to Essential Amino Acids which have almost no calories. The question is, do EAA's carry the same potency as a protein powder for muscle growth? And what is the ratio...eg. how many grams of EAA = how many grams of whey protein isolate? Is it gram for gram? I was hoping this has already been researched and someone has some science (layman's terms) to support it.

EAA are instantized and "pre-digested." They enter your blood stream almost immediately. Whey protein absorbs slowly over a couple hours. As far as potency for muscle growth, nutrition doesn't function that way. It's merely the "bricks and mortar." How fast your construction happens, depends on the stimulus of the workers. As long as you are eating enough protein, they will have all the bricks they need. So when would EAA be beneficial? When you are breaking a fast and need aminos asap. Or, if you want to make sure your blood is saturated during a specific time (like, during training). Will they have a significant effect on your results compared with the same nutrition but received through other protein sources? Probably (certainly) not. But they can be good for convenience and for those who like to "optimize" certain periods.

Good question as they are essential from my understanding they could replace protein powder but you’d take the amount needed that match the required protein content you’d consume from the whey which would be much more expensive

I will combine both as powder helps keep things cheaper when consuming 400-450gram and using the basic whey concentrate as i dont get digestive issues and found whey iso dymatize to be exact had no difference on digestion vs a cheaper good whey concentrate so I save money

but to the question yes but for money it works out way more expensive

just take your eaa around training and consume whey in foods or shakes for the added protein content

but if money is no concern then that’s completely different

10g EAAs maximally stimulate MPS about equal to 25g whey.

BUT the signaling lasts shorter. At 3 hours the whey protein group MPS was elevated higher then the 10g EAA.

if I was trying to drastically cut protein calories, I’d do something like 4oz lean meat+10g EAA. That should maximally stimulate MPS for 2-3 hours.

but then we have to consider amino oxidized for fuel, MPB rates etc....

example 50g casein is much more anabolic as a whole than 50g whey at bedtime, even though peak MPS will be higher than casein

Adding EAA into my port made a HUGE difference in my recovery after my surgery. I was very limited to how much I could eat (physically in able) so I was still using a J-tube. Initially the hospital was using a Protein/fat combo but was shitty Protein and being it was being injected behind my stomach so I wasn't getting any chemical breakdown of the Protein before the small bowel which caused horrendous gas and cramps.
Simply adding 10g EAA every other hr greatly helped with the healing as well as the muscle recovery.

I think that in times where people are struggling to get in enough food EAA could really help but I don't think they should be used as a complete Protein replacement completely

The norm for most bodybuilders is to supplement their diet with some form of protein powder. Duh right. Generally, whey protein isolate seems to be the majority choice. I have read about those interested in cutting calories switching to Essential Amino Acids which have almost no calories. The question is, do EAA's carry the same potency as a protein powder for muscle growth? And what is the ratio...eg. how many grams of EAA = how many grams of whey protein isolate? Is it gram for gram? I was hoping this has already been researched and someone has some science (layman's terms) to support it.
EAA is the pure form of aminos , so you will absorb 100% them and whey protein needs to be predigested , so the body will not absorb all you drink . But we need both . EAA during workout and whey post workout and during day when needed .

I haven't been here in a while, just started lurking. Good to see some familiar faces 😀
I studied EAAs a lot, and from my personal experience. 10g-20g EAA intra or post work out. And 30min pre meals give me better results than eating a huge amount of protein. Especially if following an IF type diet.

Example instead of 6 meals of 50gr of protein
I can eat 2 meals at 75gr or 3 meals with 50gr protein with 10gr EAA 30min prior. And have 20gr EAA intra/post workout.

I will give you a scenario for a guy on a cut.

He is targeting 200 grams of "protein" per day.

He is currently doing 3 meals with 50 grams of protein per meal and 2 whey protein drinks at 25 grams each, for a total of 5 feedings and 200 grams of protein.

Could that same guy cut calories and get the same benefits from:

3 meals @ 50 grams of protein PLUS 2 separate servings of EAA, say 10 grams per saving. ???

He is currently doing 3 meals with 50 grams of protein per meal and 2 whey protein drinks at 25 grams each, for a total of 5 feedings and 200 grams of protein.

3 meals @ 50 grams of protein PLUS 2 separate servings of EAA, say 10 grams per saving. ???

I would do 15gr for 2 servings, but in my experience yes.

As 25 grams of whey doesn't have enough leucine to trigger the anabolic process from my reading. I would rearrange where some of protein is being taken. 10 grams of EAA doesn't seem to have enough leucine either. If it is being used to just keep from going catabolic then lower doses may be fine. Can't say I have seen anything about that.

As 25 grams of whey doesn't have enough leucine to trigger the anabolic process from my reading. I would rearrange where some of protein is being taken. 10 grams of EAA doesn't seem to have enough leucine either. If it is being used to just keep from going catabolic then lower doses may be fine. Can't say I have seen anything about that.
I use True Nutrition EAA 10gr has 5gr of Leucine.

I do much better with Whey isolate timed ahead of time before a workout that I do with EAA's...or rather, I feel and experience no differences. If anything, I actually feel like I get better gains with whey than EAA's. I feel like EAA's can be of benefit, but only if protein is not already adequate, and you have feeding issues. It can be helpful also for guys who have stomach issues during a workout and and want to use them as an intra nutrition drink. However, when my protein is adequate, I don't really ever feel any benefit to these, personally. Same with Leucine. Here was a study from last year showing that leucine had no benefit when protein was adequate.

Leucine Supplementation Has No Further Effect on Training-induced Muscle Adaptations - PubMed (nih.gov)

off topic but isnt the consensus regarding intra aminos favoring EAA over BCAA here? when does everyone agree best timing for bcaas then?

EAAs may increase MPS faster than whey or whole protein, but they're worse at preventing protein breakdown. Optimally, you should be using both IMO.

off topic but isnt the consensus regarding intra aminos favoring EAA over BCAA here? when does everyone agree best timing for bcaas then?
I don’t use them at all after discussing it with John Meadows a couple years ago.

Iintra workout I do 10g EAA and about 13g hydrolyzed whey.

my EAA has about 3g leucine for 10g and the whey has about 1g. So I’m at 4g leucine intra workout

I have always had a couple meals before training so I have a pool of aminol's to pull from during my workout. I am using Eaa's now and it seems to have a slight benefit but really hard to say for sure.

What brand of eaa's is everyone using? Just buying true nutrition and mixing it in some sort of crystal light?

My intra shake is all True Nutrition unflavored products.
15g EAA , 10g Glutamine , 10g Creatine , 5g L-Leucine , 5g citrulline maleate , 25g-75g lemon lime Gatorade.
If you are following Any of John Meadows programs and truly pushing 100% you will notice a big difference.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member