over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Eating before your workout

jp2007

Registered
I had always eaten 2 1/2-3 hours preworkout then had a shake about 1 hour before my workout.. But I read something mountaindog wrote in a thread, saying he eats a big meal pre workout. For the past 2 or 3 weeks I've been eating about an hour preworkout, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference, not that I was expecting anything super drastic.

I was just wondering how you guys felt about preworkout timing?

I believe emeric says to eat 3 hours preworkout, but mountaindog eats like 30 minutes preworkout or something..

Just curious as to why? I'm a young one, trying to learn :)

its too individual to answer

i can eat before training.....others cant

i def. dont eat a least an hour and half before leg training though

:cool:

I don't think there is a "set" time for pre-workout meals. However, I like to have mine an couple hours before I hit the gym to avoid lifting on an empty or full stomach.

2 hours prior is good for me. Any later than that and I will feel nauseous and bloated the whole time there. BCAAs during, and CFM right after usually works best for me.

ahha bro, same boat here, i can even eat during the workout eheheh

I chug a protein shake down with oats/pb mixed in it an hour before training, I was so damn hungry and had to eat, was just fine...yes, but leg day it would be a whole another story, keep a trash can near is I make that mistake of eating that close before training legs:eek:

I've noticed that when i have a good bit of carbs and protein in my meal 3 hours preworkout, and good bit of fat and protein in my meal 1 hour preworkout my energy levels are more stable throughout my workout. But if i flip those around i get a better pump, but sort of lose my energy quicker during my workout.

You guys are right, it varies from person to person. Maybe i'll try adding more carbs to my preworkout meal and keep the fat/protein the same and see what that does for me.

By the way, 1 hour preworkout i eat 10oz ground beef 85/15 and a couple handfuls of mixed nuts.

I don't eat anything too heavy within a couple hours of training. I usually have a red meat/carb meal around 3 hours before training and then maybe a whey shake and a half cup of oats around an hour before. I don't like having my stomach stuffed with food while I train.

Currently due to my meal timing I hit my fourth meal about 1 hour before working out. If it's back, arms, chest/shoulders then its no problem. If it's legs I like to hold out another 30-45 mins before lifting.

Legs (sometimes heavy back too) require so much blood in the muscle that it draws the blood used for digestion of your food away from the stomach. Your stomach in turn will want to get rid of anything in it since there is no longer blood there to aid in digestion, hence the sick/find a trash can fast syndrome....at least that's my understanding.

Last edited:
i certainly lift better when i have a meal 1/2 to 2 hours before my workout.

I like to eat a whole foods meal 1 hour prior to workout. Then take my preworkout or intraworkout cocktail mix.. Then my postworkout cocktail mix when i get home from the gym. I train in the early evening so i have a decent amount of meals in me prior to my workout, so my preworkout meal doesn't have to be a huge meal.. So i never have to worry about feeling nauseous prior to workout. I don't think its wise to go into a workout feeling bloated or undigested.. This will only interefere with the quality of your workout and the nutrient partitioning during your workout. As stated before, preworkout nutrition is very individual.. Experiment, and find what works best for you..

I usually eat 1.5 hours before, and feel fine in the gym

same boat here.

I learned the eating 1.5-2 hours before a leg workout the hard way=-)

My 4th meal of the day lands about 1-1 1/2 hours before my workout. I usually keep it on the lighter side. About 6oz of some sort of lean meat and only 4oz of complex carbs. More carbs gives me a better pump and more of a full look after I'm done working out but I also crash too hard if I have more carbs and I feel sick afterwards. A big thing for me is water intake before hand and during.

i eat all the time

since i eat whenever i am hungry and i am always hungry i am pretty much constantly eating so always have food in my stomach except upon waking. i alternate LBA's and solid food every other meal.
-JS

since i eat whenever i am hungry and i am always hungry i am pretty much constantly eating so always have food in my stomach except upon waking. i alternate LBA's and solid food every other meal.
-JS

Haha niceee :cool: Wish I could eat like that :(

My appetite suckssss. Cant wait to get on deca

I prefer working out on an empty stomach. With food in my stomach I feel slow and low on energy.

i train in the morning. 45 minutes prior. oatmeal an protein. works for me.

Haha niceee :cool: Wish I could eat like that :(

My appetite suckssss. Cant wait to get on deca

and what do you think deca will do to you???

just curious????

:)

I usually have to give myself 2 hours after eating b4 working out.But recently i started drinking protein shake with creatine in it about 15-30 min b4 my workout and i have noticed a big diff.Im not as sluggish and my strength is up during the workout.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws