over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Effective progressive overload methods for advanced

Would it be 7-8 sets per muscle group?

Yes and occasionally the sets are would down roughly every 3-4 weeks and an extra body part was added to make up for the remainder of the workout so say 4 sets chest 4 shoulders something like that

Just for Luki and Bleed....this is what i liked to do with guys once I caught them up to speed with overall size.

----------------------------------------------

I like

Sunday: chest (and you work one exercise on shoulders and/or triceps if those bodyparts are weak)

Monday: Biceps, Forearms, abs, rear delts, calves (and you work one exercise for back if there is something weak there..like lat width)

Tuesday: adductors. abductors, hams quads (doesnt have to be in that order) just listing bodyparts

Wenesday: off

Thursday: shoulders triceps (and you work one exercise for chest if your chest is a weak bodypart) abs

Friday: Back width and Back thickness, calves (and you work one exercise for biceps if thats a weak bodypart)

Saturday off.

In the above scenario if someone had weak arms (biceps and triceps sucked) his chest day would look like this

first chest exercise progressive warmups to all out set rest paused
second chest exercise progressive warmups to all out set rest paused
third chest exercise progressive warmups to all out straight set
Maybe forth chest exercise progressive warmups to all out straight set
then because he has weak triceps he would bomb away on a key tricep exercise..lets say assisted dips machine for 25 reps rest paused after warmups or whatever exercise he felt was key for himself

Monday would look like this because his back isnt weak
Biceps 2-3 exercises one or two restpaused in there with the other straight setted Forearms (some sort of reverse curl straight set for higher reps)
abs one exercise
rear delts one exercise rest paused
calves one exercise
no back because his back isnt weak....again order is picked by the person...just listing exercises

Tuesday: abductors adductors hams quads (2 exercises for hams one being rest paused), (2-3 exercises for quads)

Thursday: shoulders (2-3 exercises a couple of them rest paused) triceps (2-3 exercises a couple of them rest paused) no chest because chest isnt a weak bodypart for him, abs

Friday: Back width and Back thickness (4 exercises 2 for back width and 2 for back thickness...the back width ones are rest paused (and because his biceps are a weak bodypart he hits a key exercise that he feels strongly about at the end for biceps that is rest paused after warmups)...and calves one exercise

Saturday off.

short workouts..heavy slag iron for reps...bodyparts that are weak are hit 2x a week

I appreciate you bud. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Just for Luki and Bleed....this is what i liked to do with guys once I caught them up to speed with overall size.

I like

Sunday: chest (and you work one exercise on shoulders and/or triceps if those bodyparts are weak)

Monday: Biceps, Forearms, abs, rear delts, calves (and you work one exercise for back if there is something weak there..like lat width)

Tuesday: adductors. abductors, hams quads (doesnt have to be in that order) just listing bodyparts

Thursday: shoulders triceps (and you work one exercise for chest if your chest is a weak bodypart) abs

Friday: Back width and Back thickness, calves (and you work one exercise for biceps if thats a weak bodypart)

Saturday off.

In the above scenario if someone had weak arms (biceps and triceps sucked) his chest day would look like this

then because he has weak triceps he would bomb away on a key tricep exercise..lets say assisted dips machine for 25 reps rest paused after warmups or whatever exercise he felt was key for himself

Biceps 2-3 exercises one or two restpaused in there with the other straight setted Forearms (some sort of reverse curl straight set for higher reps)
abs one exercise
calves one exercise
no back because his back isnt weak....again order is picked by the person...just listing exercises

Tuesday: abductors adductors hams quads (2 exercises for hams one being rest paused), (2-3 exercises for quads)

Thursday: shoulders (2-3 exercises a couple of them rest paused) triceps (2-3 exercises a couple of them rest paused) no chest because chest isnt a weak bodypart for him, abs

Friday: Back width and Back thickness (4 exercises 2 for back width and 2 for back thickness...the back width ones are rest paused (and because his biceps are a weak bodypart he hits a key exercise that he feels strongly about at the end for biceps that is rest paused after warmups)...and calves one exercise

Saturday off.

short workouts..heavy slag iron for reps...bodyparts that are weak are hit 2x a week

I like

Saturday off.

abs one exercise
calves one exercise

Saturday off.

I love this split. Been using it awhile now

Yes and occasionally the sets are would down roughly every 3-4 weeks and an extra body part was added to make up for the remainder of the workout so say 4 sets chest 4 shoulders something like that

I like low volume systems, but I wonder what a quad day looks like compared to a chest or arm day, I guess there are fewer sets for the arms.

I think it could be an interesting topic to discuss and learn from other people.
What progressive overload methods do you use? For years I myself approached it in such a way that my first exercise was done according to some powerfifting schedule and then I went to purely bodybuilding work in the later part of the training. After such 8-12 weeks, thanks to the software, I gained maximum strength and often new PR, which I could use later in the mass building stage and work with greater loads in the "top and back off set" system. But now, years later, it doesn't work that well anymore and, in fact, for 1.5 years I haven't been able to use up to 90% of my old strength. I thought about high volume training, something like training in the oxygen gym, and I wonder how to progress here. I think that the "rep goal" system would suit the best - someone trains with this system or maybe has other ideas for effective progression.
I have been a member here for years to learn and haven’t posted much, but this is a great topic (following) as I was looking to address this coming out of my last show to take some time and grow.

For years I had been a fan of and trained higher volume in style. 5-8 rep ranges for off growth phases to aim for strength and size, as a stronger muscle, leads to a bigger muscle. And 8-12 during dieting just due to the minor loss of strength during cutting.

As timing had it, I had just began speaking with John Meadows about working together and being the awesome person he was gave me some feedback weeks and until just days before he passed. Thought it would be great out of respect to share some of his wisdom as I feel he really addressed this. :)

I had never taken a deep dive into the level of science and detail in his programs and considered them more “power building” to be honest. We landed on implementing a similar version of his Gamma Bomb program (Creeping death I know is one of his most known) .

I am 4 weeks in now and his methods and advice has by far top anything I have ever used or taught.

Using pump and activation sets to start, then moving into explosive training, Supra max pump and then finish with training the muscle from stretched position. Different rest periods for each phase.

This style is done early in the week and and then later in the week upper body is hit with pump sets with 1 min rest sets. All about blood flow and active recovery. The second phase after a 2 week de-load, lower body gets hit twice instead of upper.

Nutrition- intra-workout carbs and EAA’s I think are a must for anyone looking to increase to improve this too as I think is far overlooked.

Absolutely have so much appreciation for his work and level of detail so hope this is well received in sharing.

I have followed many of your post so sure you know all of this and more, but thought it was great insight to share for others.

I like

Saturday off.

abs one exercise
calves one exercise

Saturday off.

Traps would be done with shoulders on Thursday’s?

A typical DC is good but for beginners and intermediate players - first, it doesn't focus on details and weak points, but adding bulk. Secondly, if you have really cranked up your results and are above your genetic potential, it is too burdensome for the nervous system to progress for more than 4-5 weeks before you burn out.

I was thinking about rep goal progression, i.e. we assume that we have 25 repetitions to be performed in 3 series. Let's take squats, for example:
500lbs x10.7.5 rep - we have a total of 22 repetitions, so in the next training we stay on the same load
next training 500x11,8,6 = 25 reps - we reached the rep target, so in the next training we increase the weight to 510lbs and repeat the process. In sets we don't work until we fall down completely, but we end up with a shy fall

Ive competed in powerlifting for quite a long time so my training was mostly aimed in that direction.

Youre right though progressive overload kind of only goes so far.

Its easier to keep moving up in progressive overload when you start with higher reps.
For example you're going to be able to keep adding weight to say 315x15 or 315x20 each week then you'll be able to with like 500 x 1. When doing low reps the ability to keep adding weight will slow much faster than with high reps.

Overall reps like the example your using works really well. You still get to a point where you will need to unload some of that accumulated fatigue. I know you're not asking for my opinion but i do think what you're doing is probably appropriate and a good change from what you were doing.

@luki7788
“In sets we don't work until we fall down completely, but we end up with a shy fall”

Can you explain this a little? I really like the idea and it’s helping me in case I come to a plateau which we all do.

Are you talking about leaving the set off from 1-2 reps before failure? Is this for preserving CNS from overtraining?

@luki7788
“In sets we don't work until we fall down completely, but we end up with a shy fall”

Can you explain this a little? I really like the idea and it’s helping me in case I come to a plateau which we all do.

Are you talking about leaving the set off from 1-2 reps before failure? Is this for preserving CNS from overtraining?
exactly 1-2 repetitions before falling
and yes, it will allow for less cns fatigue and the simulation reps were done anyway

I have been a member here for years to learn and haven’t posted much, but this is a great topic (following) as I was looking to address this coming out of my last show to take some time and grow.

For years I had been a fan of and trained higher volume in style. 5-8 rep ranges for off growth phases to aim for strength and size, as a stronger muscle, leads to a bigger muscle. And 8-12 during dieting just due to the minor loss of strength during cutting.

As timing had it, I had just began speaking with John Meadows about working together and being the awesome person he was gave me some feedback weeks and until just days before he passed. Thought it would be great out of respect to share some of his wisdom as I feel he really addressed this. :)

I had never taken a deep dive into the level of science and detail in his programs and considered them more “power building” to be honest. We landed on implementing a similar version of his Gamma Bomb program (Creeping death I know is one of his most known) .

I am 4 weeks in now and his methods and advice has by far top anything I have ever used or taught.

Using pump and activation sets to start, then moving into explosive training, Supra max pump and then finish with training the muscle from stretched position. Different rest periods for each phase.

This style is done early in the week and and then later in the week upper body is hit with pump sets with 1 min rest sets. All about blood flow and active recovery. The second phase after a 2 week de-load, lower body gets hit twice instead of upper.

Nutrition- intra-workout carbs and EAA’s I think are a must for anyone looking to increase to improve this too as I think is far overlooked.

Absolutely have so much appreciation for his work and level of detail so hope this is well received in sharing.

I have followed many of your post so sure you know all of this and more, but thought it was great insight to share for others.
I haven’t done gamma bomb but have run several of his programs. Creeping death, the gauntlet, Program 3, and the executioner. John is a genius and I loved all these programs. Even when not following a program is still mostly follow his set rep scheme and exercise selection ideas. I.e dumbell press first, then heavy reverse banded inclines for 4-6, then pre pump etc.

Ive competed in powerlifting for quite a long time so my training was mostly aimed in that direction.

Youre right though progressive overload kind of only goes so far.

Its easier to keep moving up in progressive overload when you start with higher reps.
For example you're going to be able to keep adding weight to say 315x15 or 315x20 each week then you'll be able to with like 500 x 1. When doing low reps the ability to keep adding weight will slow much faster than with high reps.

Overall reps like the example your using works really well. You still get to a point where you will need to unload some of that accumulated fatigue. I know you're not asking for my opinion but i do think what you're doing is probably appropriate and a good change from what you were doing.
Progressive overload can go pretty damn far. Look at dusty of JP

Progressive overload can go pretty damn far. Look at dusty of JP
I believe that I have really gone a long way with my potential and it is hard to further progress the load. It is certainly possible, but it becomes simply dangerous at some point when you do the weights that I managed to reach during training
A few videos to understand what it is about and that at such a moment it is difficult to further develop by increasing the load

Though I won't say I don't feel like doing these lifts bigger lol

I believe that I have really gone a long way with my potential and it is hard to further progress the load. It is certainly possible, but it becomes simply dangerous at some point when you do the weights that I managed to reach during training
A few videos to understand what it is about and that at such a moment it is difficult to further develop by increasing the load

Form is on point!!!

Ya you’re pretty stupid strong brother. Might not be so much about continuing progressive overload for you at this point, but finding the volume and frequency that allows you to continue gaining mass. Because you’re right, you’re not likely to get a whole lot stronger anymore

insanity. Crazy physique and crazy strong

I had two ideas
Let’s say you look to progress on compounds
You do 3 sets of x amount of weight for 8-10 reps. Than you rest and do 8 sets of 1 for very short rest periods with the same amount of weight. Just more volume

this could be considered a form of rest pause, but on isolations stopwatch sets

put a timer for 2-3 mins and you see how many sets you can get hitting a given rep range

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131