over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Egg whites in intra workout nutrition?

ah, i apologize. i just looked at the results/conclusion. just saw the 3 graphs in the study.
however as we can see the peak in plasma amino acids is between minute 30 and minute 120... and thats exactly where i would place the workout. by beginning your workout at the 75 minute mark your body is pretty much out of amino acids halfway through (unless you train for 30 minutes). i would want peak AA levels throughout the workout and shortly after (at least until you can eat again).

regarding the second thing, yeah, norton concludes that muscle protein synthesis in response to amino acid elevations is refractory and can only be "spiked" or turned on every 3-4 hours (which suggests that your body needs a drop or an even higher rise in plasma amino acids to turn on protein synthesis. however both insulin and exercise are variables which could turn off this effect, so this is a very interesting topic imo, not just for regular eating patterns but especially in the debate of INTRA workout nutrition)

With Layne's stuff, I almost feel it gets to the point you are splitting hairs. I like entertaining the topic for the simple sake that I find it interesting, but when one is adding size, there comes a point where there is no way your amino acid levels are going to drop by the time you have your next meal... YET, guys are still adding copious amount of QUALITY SIZE.

So you can't be telling me that there NO protein synthesis occurring there... Of course, we also have to factor in insulin, exogenous hormones, types of food... etc...

I just feel that there comes a point where the science becomes a little skewed in favor of application and anecdotal evidence.

With Layne's stuff, I almost feel it gets to the point you are splitting hairs. I like entertaining the topic for the simple sake that I find it interesting, but when one is adding size, there comes a point where there is no way your amino acid levels are going to drop by the time you have your next meal... YET, guys are still adding copious amount of QUALITY SIZE.

So you can't be telling me that there NO protein synthesis occurring there... Of course, we also have to factor in insulin, exogenous hormones, types of food... etc...

I just feel that there comes a point where the science becomes a little skewed in favor of application and anecdotal evidence.

completely agree with you here. but thats what makes it so interesting - it all makes sense in theory, but simply doesnt apply to the real world.

i think you got the refractory period thing a bit wrong though... i think layne came to the conclusion that you can only turn on MPS every 3-4 hours, then it becomes refractory for that time.
that doesnt mean that continuous AA elevations make it refractory ALL the time, you simply become "resistant" to elevations for that timeframe.
maybe pro BBers are pretty much wasting every second meal by eating every 2 hours. ofc at some point eating 3 or 4 meals a day is simply extremely impractical with the total calories these guys need, but maybe 3-4 protein feedings per day are enough, with carb snacks in between. we dont know.
i dont apply laynes principles but i usually have around 4 hours between meals anyway for digestions sake

Good discussion but as you both stated it is splitting hairs. I sometimes eat quite a lot around training and I know it is not needed but I simply like it. Amino powder (EAA's and/or BCAA's) are better than egg whites intra training for me simply due to digestion etc. Egg whites are great pretty much any other time of the day.

I have been having IntraMD during training and post workout I will have meat and rice or simillar. Pre workout usually a synthepure smoothie with oats and pineapple. Sometimes I may even have a synthepure smoothie post workout but instead of oats I use rice krispies or special k (with berries too).

I just ran out of Intra MD but will buy it again as it's the best intra product imo. Until I have it I am going to just have a pre workout meal and a post workout shake (like the above). As you guys have stated if you eat pre workout there is no real need for an intra shake. If I have anything it will just be 1-2 scoops of aminos but thats mainly just due to taste but sure it's not like the aminos are going to hurt my progress.

Since adding in 2 amino shakes through the day (both in 1.5 litres of water) it has definitely helped my progress.

completely agree with you here. but thats what makes it so interesting - it all makes sense in theory, but simply doesnt apply to the real world.

i think you got the refractory period thing a bit wrong though... i think layne came to the conclusion that you can only turn on MPS every 3-4 hours, then it becomes refractory for that time.

that doesnt mean that continuous AA elevations make it refractory ALL the time, you simply become "resistant" to elevations for that timeframe.

maybe pro BBers are pretty much wasting every second meal by eating every 2 hours. ofc at some point eating 3 or 4 meals a day is simply extremely impractical with the total calories these guys need, but maybe 3-4 protein feedings per day are enough, with carb snacks in between. we dont know.

i dont apply laynes principles but i usually have around 4 hours between meals anyway for digestions sake

No, we're on the same page. I just worded what I meant funky.

Basically what I was aiming to say was you can't keep eating non-stop thinking it will continue to raise blood amino acid levels. As you noted, you are going to be resistant to elevations for a given period.

Now, what I wonder is how anabolics alter this refectory period.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws