advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Elbow hyperextended... Any experience or suggestions?

NY Beast

Registered
Just as the title says I jacked up my left elbow pretty good 5 days back.

Seems snowboarding isn't the best idea for progress in the gym (at least for me)

Wore a sling for the 1st 72 hours, been keeping a light wrap on it during the day, and ROM is coming back very slowly. I have absolutely no strength in my arm as of yet.

I've read the articles on the web suggesting RICE and NSAID's, but was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions from personal experience they would share (healing time, rehab, braces, protocols they feel helped, etc...)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Try DMSO gel. I've always found it a farmer stores they use it on horses works really well with joint pain. I would try it at least but other than that rest and stay hydrated.

having ruptured a tricep both with intramuscular canyon size tear traveling up the lateral head and 90-95% of tendon at elbow bursa tie-in... I would say a hinged brace is best bet for stability. it has an adjustable dial to fix your ROM to allow for gradual increases at your own pace.. when I did rehab for 3 mo I had deep tissue massages to break down the scar tissue 2x week (I am "blessed" with keloids so a few times was 3x/wk) and then to promote blood circulation for increased healing time I did the arm bike for 10-15 min gradually increasing resistance over the weeks along with lastly one armed cable pressdown extensions but again to get the blood moving by doing 2 sets of 25 at a weight I could struggle to kill the 25 reps but with out hurting aside from the muscle burn... believe me it was a truck load of humble pie when i first started out and the just one 5# plate on the cable stack was a challenge...

Unless you had an MRI and confirmed there was minimal to no tearing I would do similar to what my ortho had me do tho if you want to do it proper.. I was in a series of fixed splints for the first 2 weeks, first was 15 degrees fixed then 30 degrees fixed before switching to a hinged brace and following that I went through a series of gradually adjusting my ROM over another 2-3 weeks, going 45, 60, 90 degrees before any of the strength exercises was introduced ... now with a hinge brace you can lock out your ROM to act the same as a splint but the icing for first 2 weeks of just doing nothing will help your tendons and ligaments more than you can imagine before you bother with your ROM then the controlled range of motion helps from allowing any scar tissue to run rampant and create ROM restritions.. then lastly get the strengh aspect back into play to reverse the expected atrophy from the minimal use... and dont worry, muscle memory will take back over after a while its just the time spent waiting that is demoralizing and sucks, but you just have to keep looking at the big picture of healing proper.

Last edited:
Kinesiotape elbow as on youtube, and mix winstrol with DMSO. Works wonderfully.

Depending on how bad it is it could take up to 2 years for the joint to re-stabilize and the ligament to "tighten" up enough to feel strong again. And pushing it too soon can cause a relapse of joint instability that will prolong any recovery. With this kind of injury time and slow per4sistance is best. good luck man,

I would use,

Inflammation

Curcumin
Zywobin digestive enzymes
Grape seed extract
Red cherry juice/extract

Rebuilding ligament/tendon

Zywobin(bromealin)
Alpha lipoic acid
Curcumin
MSM
glucosamine and chondroitin

AND Ice as often as you can.

I would stay away from NSAIDS, which can ACTUALLY block connective tissue from healing. The first 14 days are VERY important to connective tissue healing post injury and you should do nothing to stop the healing.

also maybe some Hyaluronic acid and LED light therapy.

About NSAIDs

"Early administration of ibuprofen in the postoperative period was detrimental to tendon healing, while delayed administration did not affect tendon healing."
The detrimental effects of systemic Ibuprofen delivery on tendon he... - PubMed - NCBI

The detrimental effects of systemic Ibuprofen delivery on tendon healing are time-dependent.

Timing matters: NSAIDs interfere with the late proliferation stage of a repaired rotator cuff tendon healing in rats
Timing matters: NSAIDs interfere with the late proliferation stage ... - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
Just as the title says I jacked up my left elbow pretty good 5 days back.

Seems snowboarding isn't the best idea for progress in the gym (at least for me)

Wore a sling for the 1st 72 hours, been keeping a light wrap on it during the day, and ROM is coming back very slowly. I have absolutely no strength in my arm as of yet.

I've read the articles on the web suggesting RICE and NSAID's, but was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions from personal experience they would share (healing time, rehab, braces, protocols they feel helped, etc...)

Thanks in advance!

Its going to be one of the injuries that just take time to heal. Rest,,and some Aleve will do you well. Massage and a heat pad may be of some help now.

Depending on how bad it is it could take up to 2 years for the joint to re-stabilize and the ligament to "tighten" up enough to feel strong again. And pushing it too soon can cause a relapse of joint instability that will prolong any recovery. With this kind of injury time and slow per4sistance is best. good luck man,

I would use,

Inflammation

Curcumin
Zywobin digestive enzymes
Grape seed extract
Red cherry juice/extract

Rebuilding ligament/tendon

Zywobin(bromealin)
Alpha lipoic acid
Curcumin
MSM
glucosamine and chondroitin

AND Ice as often as you can.

I would stay away from NSAIDS, which can ACTUALLY block connective tissue from healing. The first 14 days are VERY important to connective tissue healing post injury and you should do nothing to stop the healing.

also maybe some Hyaluronic acid and LED light therapy.

About NSAIDs

"Early administration of ibuprofen in the postoperative period was detrimental to tendon healing, while delayed administration did not affect tendon healing."
The detrimental effects of systemic Ibuprofen delivery on tendon he... - PubMed - NCBI

The detrimental effects of systemic Ibuprofen delivery on tendon healing are time-dependent.

Timing matters: NSAIDs interfere with the late proliferation stage of a repaired rotator cuff tendon healing in rats
Timing matters: NSAIDs interfere with the late proliferation stage ... - PubMed - NCBI

Just to touch on the matter I personally learned from by breaking my neck in a car crash when 16... no joke, C-5/C-6 fractured with considerable subluxation aka dislocated alignment... in easy terms an xray of neck made spine look like a staircase... and a cpl buddies of mine having tommy john surgeries from playing college baseball... tendons can regain elasticity but ligaments dont.. if your lucky like me they may stretch since that is what happened in my case to keep me from being paralyzed but its a once and done thing.. I had to have a plate implanted to fuse my vertebrae so I could carrying on an active life and not worrying about any movement down the road further shifting the bone and clipping my spinal cord just as how my buds had the tommy johns and they transplant a ligament from your shin and tightly wrap it around the blown ligament like a coil to reinforce it and allow you to be normal again... of course you can take various supplements to help your ligiment health but anything detrimental and surgery is your only option to attempt to be normal again... its been 2 yeas since my tricep rupture and I think I am finally ok and psychologically feel ok just as my ortho said it would probably take as long due to my much higher than average size and level of conditioning...

now my ortho is a kick ass guy in his mid 40's very active with road biking and extremely down to earth despite his prestigious talent and skill set but to quote him, and I thought it was hilarious, he told me " after you were out we got you rolled you into position and had your arm draped down and backside of arm was exposed, I first thought I was operating on a knee of an average sized persons leg but then remembered you were like the size of a bear and I went to work and everything went smoothly and better than planned"... he said planned since he played it safe and figured the rupture was so bad I would need a cadaver Achilles tendon for a graft but luckily didnt and three solid sutures secured it perfectly..

prior to the surgery I was actually dreading if I needed the graft since found a medical book online that illustrated the procedure and it starts with a bolt being drilled into your ulna forearm bone and used to anchor the tendon prior to stitching the graft to your tricep... that route the minimum recovery time would have been 2 years along with chance of tissue rejection etc etc... additional point if ever need surgery... always ask too many questions so you know exactly what is happening...

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws