advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Evaluation of anabolic steroid induced renal damage with sonography in bodybuilders.

MR. BMJ

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I've not read the full study, so I'm not sure on the design details of the study. However, it was kind of interesting that the group using Eq had a higher risk. I would have thought group 1 would have had the higher risk of problems with the dbol.

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2017 Nov 17. doi: 10.23736/S0022-4707.17.06763-9. [Epub ahead of print]

Evaluation of anabolic steroid induced renal damage with sonography in bodybuilders.

Kantarci UH1, Punduk Z2, Senarslan O3, Dirik A4.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of anabolic steroids on kidneys in bodybuilders.

METHODS:
Twenty two bodybuilders were included in the study. Participants were divided into three groups according to the scheme of steroid usage: Group 1 (n=8, intramuscular 500 mg testosterone enanthate, intramuscular 400 mg nandrolone decanoate and oral 40 mg methandrostenolone for 12 weeks), Group 2 (n=7, intramuscular 500 mg testosterone enanthate, intramuscular 300 mg nandrolone decanoate and intramuscular 300 mg boldenone undecylenate for 16 weeks) and Group 3 (n=7, no steroid intake). Blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine (Cr), urine microalbumin and electrolyte levels were measured. Renal volume, cortical thickness and echogenicity were obtained in ultrasonographic scans.

RESULTS:
Renal volume, cortical thickness, echogenicity and protein intake value were significantly higher in group 2 than group 1 and 3. Plasma levels of BUN and Cr in group 2 were significantly higher than other groups (p ˂ 0.001). Urine microalbumin and electrolyte levels were normal in all groups.

CONCLUSIONS:
The results of this study indicate that high protein intake, steroid usage, particularly the schemes, including boldenone undecylenate increases cortical echogenicity, thickness of renal parenchyma and renal volume in bodybuilders.

PMID: 29148625 DOI: 10.23736/S0022-4707.17.06763-9

So we know BUN, GFR and creatine in weight training individuals aren't sitting on the same scale as the average population.

With that being said they are indicators of renal health definitively.

But MOST of the damage seems to be blood pressure related. Then you have harsher androgens like trenbolone who have a negative impact on kidney function to a certain degree regardless of blood pressure control; especially in people running heftier doses.

Blood viscosity will play a role in BP so EQ relation can be tracked there.

What I'm wondering is HOW much are androgens themselves nephrotoxic? Outside of the BP pathway. Are they damaging directly in someway shape or form?

Stewie, and the other smarties please chime in if you can.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is interesting, I too would’ve put my money on the dbol group showing the most damage indicators. The viscocity issue makes sense but I would still expect the dbol group to test worst - at least based on my personal experience.

Looks like the study was small. I dont have access to the full article but would be interesting to see the details of the study Followup tests too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"In 1937 Selye reported that androgens caused renal hypertrophy. Since the kidneys are the main site of erythropoietin production, the effects of testosterone on the kidneys and on erythropoietin production may be related. Studies were performed to clarify this relationship."

The Effect of Androgens on Erythropoiesis and on the Kidney. | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians

I couldn't access the whole paper; maybe I'll look it up at school.

So my dumbass interpretation of this is that: erythropoiesis which is stimulated through the kidneys can lead to hypertrophy of the organ itself (presumably from the stressor of producing more EPO). EQ would be horrible in this regard, and makes sense why it would have it affect on kidney levels.

But again this goes back to BP, and Hema/Hemo control for the most part. Unless the act of producing more EPO in itself causes this issue. Wonder if it's worse in older men as blood viscosity, and response to AAS is thicker in older men.

:) Ain't nothin safe in this world :p

Those are good points, it's out of my area to really say though. A member at another site did bring up a good point, in that the journal itself does also have a low impact factor of only a 1.2.

Initially, I was thinking maybe the added weight gain from the higher dosed nandrolone + dbol, might effect BP more, thus placing more stress on the kidneys, but apparently there may be something else involved. At such a low dose of eq, for a 12 week run, it's kind of surprising.

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner