over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

exercises/routine to build hand mass...

joeboo

Registered
I've been active in combat sports for awhile on and off and I am curious if anyone has any pointers on this. I know that doing heavy lifting will strengthen and toughen the hands, but I am looking for something that directly targets growth in the muscle groups of the hand. Getting those to grow a bit and add a bit of weight would increase the firmness of the fist and add a bit of weight.

If this has been covered elsewhere, I'd appreciate the link. I did try the search first, but perhaps my keywords were off. THanks!

I have a bucket of rice I stick my hand in and do all types of movements. By the time I'm done doing some rice bucket sets my hands are toast and my forearms are pumped as hell. My hands aren't "jacked" but I feel it has functional benefits as well as aesthetic.

I thought this would be a xxx thread 😂

I have one of those cheap plastic spring loaded grips that adjusts up to 50lbs of pressure by twisting it

I do it a few times throughout the day, especially the day before I do deadlifts, to help with grip strength

As alfresco pointed out forearm training and I would also work on your grip strength, these guys (youtubers Juji & Tom) sell a variety of equipment for both purposes:

Lots you can do. Build hand strength, mass will come. (Tendons). Grippers, fat bar work, static holds w/ big weight (and fat-bar), wrist rollers, fat-bar reverse curls, etc.
You can get a 7 foot bar cut (and a 5 ft wile youre at it) at home depot (black plumbing pipe) and its pretty damn sturdy. Use it for your normal lifts you'll see some hand strength come.
Fits Olympic plates almost perfectly. On one of my gym pieces (vintage isometric rack) I placed that plumbing pipe over a 1" bar and wrist roll. I have fat-bars, Inch Dumbbells, circus bells, plumbing pipe bars, etc.
You can have fun with it while building the tendons up. (And forearms).

Attachments

• wrist-roller.JPG
    wrist-roller.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 29
As alfresco pointed out forearm training and I would also work on your grip strength, these guys (youtubers Juji & Tom) sell a variety of equipment for both purposes:

Good find Nyoco. I never heard of this company. When I was thinking of putting my old home
gym back together I looked all over the web for fat bars and grip training equipment and was
disappointed. Good to know this company exists.

That place you mentioned and Rot-Iron66 suggestions (which are great) for grip strength should
get anybody on the path for stronger hands and grip strength pointed the right direction.

I used to rock climb and no training routine has ever made my hands even close to as strong as that. I could easily do double overhand deadlifts with a thumbless grip with 405, nowadays, even though I train forearms directly every arm day, they aren't nearly as strong.

have you been to ironmind dot com ? There is enough equipment there to make a fulltime career out of working out hands wrists and forearms. Little pricey but great quality stuff.

Look into training for armwrestling. Theres a plethora of information to delve into for hand strength. Size can be added, but a lot of that is genetic.

Also the ability to improve grip strength has a lot to do with thickness and how far down your arm your tendons attach.

John Brzenk known as the greatest armwrestler of all time has an insanely long tendon (cant remember the scientific name off the top of my head) that connects a few inches farther down his arm than the average man. This allows him to grip stronger and push himself to higher highs when training.

Its a part of why he was undefeated for 25 years just about. Oleg Zhokh has one giant freaky arm that made him a force at heavyweight for years and he was like a buck 50. Very small guy but had some genetic abnormality in one arm. He got in a car wreck that killed a fellow puller and he is recovering still hoping to return soon.

Rock climbing works well too if your gym has a wall, but those are rare. My old YMCA had one

Try some pinch exercises, as some said climbing is really nice for hand training and also involves a lot of pinch movement. There is no much room to put mass on your hand but near the thumb you can add some size in my experience.

Captains of Crush grippers. Ive got one I use now and it has helped improve grip strength. Gotta be carful though because you can strain the tendons in your hand if you push it too hard. I hurt my left hand pretty bad using their 1.5.

Hand stands.. do them up against a wall... hold for as long as comfortable...good for shoulders,, wrist and hand strength ...and also fun 😬🤗🤸‍♀️🤸‍♂️ plus blood rushes to your hands..
Maybe do a few before combat training see if it makes a difference i how your hands feel 🙋‍♀️🖐👊 random thought but ot could help

I used to rock climb and no training routine has ever made my hands even close to as strong as that. I could easily do double overhand deadlifts with a thumbless grip with 405, nowadays, even though I train forearms directly every arm day, they aren't nearly as strong.
What was your high water mark for climbing? I've climbed since I was a little boy.

5.13a (apollo reed in the new) and v8 (mushroom roof at hueco tanks) were my hardest back in the day.

What was your high water mark for climbing? I've climbed since I was a little boy.

5.13a (apollo reed in the new) and v8 (mushroom roof at hueco tanks) were my hardest back in the day.
I grew up Lake Tahoe, in high school and my first couple years of college I did about every 5.9-5.11 in the basin and surrounding areas. I've top-roped some 5.13s (All Guns Blazing at Big Chief) and even got to climb in Cave Rock before it was closed down. I got to watch Dan Osman (RIP) do his first redpoint of his Slayer (5.14a) in Cave Rock. But the hardest thing I ever redpointed was a few 5.12a's and that was pushing the absolute limits of my ability.

Climbing 5.13a's on lead is a whole other world, besides Osman, there were only a couple of other climbers I knew capable of that in the entire Tahoe basin, nice work, were you professional?

Man so far from pro. I realized a long time ago I won't be professional anything (other than construction worker bahaha). I was like the B team for my group of friends. I had a friend climb 5.14c/d (he was professional) and few friends who did v10-v12. I saw a friend run training laps on a viciously hard v9 just "for fun". I got sidetracked with air sports around 2008 (skydiving the finally settling into a BASE jumping addiction). I still climb for fun but nowhere near 13a anymore, sadly my hobby of weightlifting works against my climbing so I just do everything for fun now without any serious aspirations other than just to enjoy life.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear