over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

EXPERIENCED people who have tried this

Comegetsome

Registered
I was reading an article about the lack of carbs needed to build a real nice/solid & quality physique.
The study showed that the human body is more then capable of making enough energy for the brain and body to function through using protein and good fats . Has anyone ever tried to experiment with this?? I was going to significantly lower my carbs to less then 100g per day. Studies show when lowering carbs GRADUALLY your body will then feed on available fat and spare protein for energy. And your live will convert the fat into energy to run your brain. Supposedly it will not put you into ketosis.

You are simply referring to a ketogenic diet, correct? Yes, I, as well as many others on this site have used them and they are effective for losing fat. Personally, I feel pretty good in ketosis but the days leading up to ketosis I am a bit uneasy.

There a few variations on keto diets... like cyclic keto diets, pure keto diets... but when you limit carb intake and your body is going to turn to stored fat and ketones for fuel. Just make sure you have adequate fat on your diet.

Exactly. Thank you. Its safe to assume I should use the sticks to keep am eye out? Anything else ? Also I would say that @ 215 lbs. 6'2" 100-150 grams of good fats are good? So longs as my protien is about 1.0-1.4 grams per lbs...

I go low carbs year round and I feel fantastic. I primarily eat red meat and nut butters for protein. I like the higher fat cuts of beef and have no problems with my lipids. I feel as good in the gym as I did 20 years ago. Give it a try but be patient as it may take some time for your body to deal with the transition.

This is the basis of a Primal diet (similar to Paleo but higher fat) which is how I have been eating for a while now. It is also the theory for Mauro Di Pasquale's books, "The Anabolic Diet", etc.

While not really a ketogenic diet, it does allow your body to rely on fat for fuel instead of glucose. Mark Sisson refers to as being 'fat-adapted'.

I've personally found that my energy is higher and more stable throughout the day. I stay lean and still make gains. The gains do seem slower but I'm not sure if it's because I'm gaining muscle slower or because I'm just not gaining ugly weight with it that drives the scale up quickly.

Less than 100g carbs might be a little too low for someone doing high intensity weight lifting though. I typically have a PWO meal with 150-200 carbs and that's about it for the day. There are trace carbs in other things I eat but that's the majority. Some people complain of being flat on a diet like this but I don't experience that either.

I would highly recommend giving it a HONEST try for at least a month and assess how you feel. It took me a couple weeks for my body to adapt and I felt pretty lousy for a while, similar to starting a keto diet. I also went gluten-free at the same time so there were some withdrawals from that as well.

I find it easier to eat this way also. I'd much rather have eggs, bacon, sasuage, guacamole and sauerkraut for breakfast than a bowl of oats, bleh. Depending on the day I eat between 200-300g fat, depending on hunger level. Gives me plenty for energy and satiety.

Exactly. Thank you. Its safe to assume I should use the sticks to keep am eye out? Anything else ? Also I would say that @ 215 lbs. 6'2" 100-150 grams of good fats are good? So longs as my protien is about 1.0-1.4 grams per lbs...

Yes, I prefer to use ketostix when going on a keto diet. When going keto I have always had my protein at least at 1.75g per lb. just to fulfill my calorie needs.

I'm not sure what you figure your macros to be for you personally to lose weight, but look at what you have remaining calorie wise and divide by 9 (number of kcals per gram of fat) and determine your fat intake....this could be closer to 200g of fat. Then adjust as you go based on weight loss.

As Tom noted about being patient with the transition, one thing that helps is adding some extra cario. It'll help you burn through glycogen and get into ketosis.

Last edited:
I will in fact give it my best in the attempt and stay patient. Should I still spike my natural insulin in the am with something like oj,or juices? I like the idea of eating 150-200 carbs post. I seem to crave them then.also shouldn't the majority of my fat intake come from fish and oils like evoo or coconut oil?

I will in fact give it my best in the attempt and stay patient. Should I still spike my natural insulin in the am with something like oj,or juices? I like the idea of eating 150-200 carbs post. I seem to crave them then.also shouldn't the majority of my fat intake come from fish and oils like evoo or coconut oil?

Well probably consuming that many carbs post will take you out of ketosis. As Pharmfed stated, he is not really doing a keto diet, so what he is doing PWO in terms of carbs is not in line with the true keto mentality but rather a fat adapted diet.

An EAA or BCAA product high in leucine with induce an insulogenic response. If you are going to have carbs I would suggest intra workout with a high molecular weight carb like Hhighly branched cyclic dextrins or something like karboload/karobolyn.

You want a full spectrum of EFAs, so fish like salmon, fish oil caps, various types of oils (evoo, mac nut oil, coconut oil, avocado oil...), some nuts and nut butters (but not an excessive amount), animal s fats are also not bad especially if you are eating grass fed beef/game, whole eggs and avocados.

Last edited:

The only time I eat a bolus of carbs is PWO. As far fats, most should come from animal products. Fatty cuts of beef, wild caught seafood, eggs, full fat dairy, pastured pork, fatty poutry, etc. Nuts are good sparingly, oils are good if they are the right kind. No industrial seed oils. Stick with EVOO, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, red palm oil, coconut oil. I also snack on olives, avocados, sunflower seed butter, fatback,etc.

If you're interested you can PM me, I have some resources that you might find interesting regarding this topic.

Well probably consuming that many carbs post will take you out of ketosis. An EAA or BCAA product high in leucine with induce an insulogenic response. If you are going to have carbs I would suggest intra workout with a high molecular weight carb like Hhighly branched cyclic dextrins or something like karboload/karobolyn.

You want a full spectrum of EFAs, so fish like salmon, fish oil caps, various types of oils (evoo, mac nut oil, coconut oil, avocado oil...), some nuts and nut butters (but not an excessive amount), animal s fats are also not bad especially if you are eating grass fed beef/game, whole eggs and avocados.

Well, if he and I are talking about the same thing, it's not really intended to be a keto diet. And we are always in varying states of ketosis to some degree anyway. The bolus carb intake PWO is to replenish glycogen and provide fuel for the next glycolytic activity. If you are 'fat-adapted' your body will quickly switch energy substrates after that meal.

Well, if he and I are talking about the same thing, it's not really intended to be a keto diet. And we are always in varying states of ketosis to some degree anyway. The bolus carb intake PWO is to replenish glycogen and provide fuel for the next glycolytic activity. If you are 'fat-adapted' your body will quickly switch energy substrates after that meal.

I completely agree, but since the thread started as looking at a pure keto diet I was pointing out that your diet in not typically what one would call straight keto.

I've used essentially the same approach that you do with regard to carbs consumption and felt that facilitated recovery better than regular keto diets and I was able to train harder. When using that approach I also had some carbs intra workout. Basically focusing on recovery for my intra and post w/o protocols and then fat loss the rest of the day.

I've had less than optimal results from both extremes (no carb/keto) and very low fat, higher carb.

I've found the best way for me is to cycle and time nutrients, mainly carbs throughout the day. I don't eat "high fat" or "low fat," just leaner, pastured/organic/grass fed more rich meats. I don't really add fats, but may snack on some nuts/coocnut here and there, or eat some avocado etc. You get the point. My fat intake is about 75-100g/day with a protein intake of about ~250g. My carbs cycle around from 50-250+ per day, before, during and after training. So I not only cycle the carbs within a day timing-wise, but also cycle them across the week.

I've found this helps maintain a balance and keep the best of both dieting-style worlds so to speak.

Cyclic keto sheds fat, no doubt about it. Make sure you're eating enough veggies and choose your fats wisely and you'll stay healthy.

It's a bit hard on your mind for the first 2 weeks or so, but after that you feel fine.

Fucking hate it.i will never ever go below 300g carbs per day again, ever. Feel like death, moody as hel and can't sleep for Shit. Just done my most successful cut ever on 300g carbs daily and got ripped quickest ever, no fat burners and felt good. I seem to have s strange impunity to get gains on carbs, i don't know why

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I completely agree, but since the thread started as looking at a pure keto diet I was pointing out that your diet in not typically what one would call straight keto.

I've used essentially the same approach that you do with regard to carbs consumption and felt that facilitated recovery better than regular keto diets and I was able to train harder. When using that approach I also had some carbs intra workout. Basically focusing on recovery for my intra and post w/o protocols and then fat loss the rest of the day.

No worries brother. Just trying not to confuse the op with our advice :)

No worries guys. I may have confused you guys. I'm not sure what I was talking about wqa keto diet. After reading it seemed it was. But after reading the last few posts I think its more the your body deeding on fat thing. I blame myself, I read way to much. So I get confused. I will be pm ing you shortly brother. Thank you!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws