advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Experienced users of OTC supps to improve cholesterol.

Freak1976

IFBB PRO
IFBB PROS
Hey guys just curious what you guys have used to bring up HDL and lower LDL I've heard of

-citrus bergamot
-red yeast rice
-niacin (flush version)

And dosages etc. Thanx in advance

Someone else with more experience can chime in, but CB at 500-1000mg is supposed to be awesome at improving HDL/LDL ratios

I have had good results with the CB .500mg/am and 500mg/pm .i am prescribed pravastatin for high cholesterol and stopped using it and have only been using the citrus bergamot .i have done bloodwork a few times and my cholesterol is in normal range without the use of a statin anymore .

Last edited:
C.Bergamot (1g) and Niacin (2g) are good. Look into GW501516 (research chem) as well. On paper, it's the best option. Just not a lot of real world data.

Red yeast rice and policosinol worked great for me. I don't remember the RYR brand but the poli is from NOW. My memory is a bit fuzzed but I do remember both HDL and LDL moved over 20 points. This was also accompanied with some higher fat choices in the dietary outline

Red Yeast Rice worked well for me, I just took the recommended dosage on the bottle, after 3-4 months both HDL and LDL were back into normal ranges.

my doctor wont even prescribe me Niaspan anymore prescription niacin because he says new research studies show it doesn't have much of an impact and the minimal benefit not worth the risk of increased liver enzymes.

A reliable and researched otc not mentioned in your list is flax seed. Adding 1-2 Tb per day to your diet will create change in about the same time as herbals. Improved test results in 3-4 weeks...
Make sure to grind it, and also a valuable source of EFAs.

Last edited:
ones not mentioned in this thread:
Panthothenic Acid (vitamin b5) 500mg per day
Artichoke leaf extract 1500mg per day
Guggul extract x1 per day
Amla extract x1 per day

Currently using certo pectin. Early results are inconclusive, will have a battery idea of if it's working in a few months after my next bloods.

roast

my doctor wont even prescribe me Niaspan anymore prescription niacin because he says new research studies show it doesn't have much of an impact and the minimal benefit not worth the risk of increased liver enzymes.
This concerns me because I take it. Unsure of its worth or its impact an liver yet.

Btw guys, modern RYR has all the statin like compound removed by regulation. It's pretty much useless today. Back in the day it was effective but that was "fixed." It's been discussed here before and I've posted in it. Do a search.

Last edited:
I would like to know more/see the data if possible on niacin, I have been using it at 1000mg 3x per day for a couple years and it has been everything I have needed to get my numbers back down to healthy stable level, it worked a little at a time for several blood tests over several months but it has kept them at the level I like the whole time since

Sounds like evidence is starting to show ryr and niacin are ineffective. Some in the past have proposed fish oil and omega fats but i understand recent studies have shown these also don't work.

What's the science behind citrus bergamot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like evidence is starting to show ryr and niacin are ineffective. Some in the past have proposed fish oil and omega fats but i understand recent studies have shown these also don't work.

I am not scientific so it is hard for me to explain but there was an Italian study done on the effects of using citrus bergamot that has a positive effect on raising Hdl and lowering LDL .it also lower blood glucose .maybe Stewie can chime in here and give a better explanation

Last edited:
IF your considering using Red Yeast Rice I would highly consider reading this first

**broken link removed**

This concerns me because I take it. Unsure of its worth or its impact an liver yet.

Btw guys, modern RYR has all the statin like compound removed by regulation. It's pretty much useless today. Back in the day it was effective but that was "fixed." It's been discussed here before and I've posted in it. Do a search.

I would like to know more/see the data if possible on niacin, I have been using it at 1000mg 3x per day for a couple years and it has been everything I have needed to get my numbers back down to healthy stable level, it worked a little at a time for several blood tests over several months but it has kept them at the level I like the whole time since

I saw the study on niacin not being effective, but that only focused on HDL and LDL from what it looks like. I still take it because it's better than not taking it.

Vitamin B3 Benefits Cardiologists Won?t Tell You About | Dr. Sinatra

There are a bunch of other credible links as well that convince me I should be taking it. Decrease in Lp(a), VLDL3, and triglycerides? Better safe than sorry.

OTC products are hit and miss to say the least as far a quality is concerned. Why not just spring for a low dose statin and be done with it? Most, if not all insurances will pay for this. Although, if you insist on using OTC, a standard protocol would be red yeast rice (which actually contains a statin as the active ingredient) niacin (regular, not the non-flush kind) and fish oil. You will more than likely pay more for the OTC regimine vs Rx as well, but unto each his own :headbang:

Last edited:
OTC products are hit and miss to say the least as far a quality is concerned. Why not just spring for a low dose statin and be done with it? Most, if not all insurances will pay for this. Although, if you insist on using OTC, a standard protocol would be red yeast rice (which actually contains a station) niacin (regular, not the non-flush kind) and fish oil. You will more than likely pay more for the OTC regimine vs Rx as well, but unto each his own :headbang:

Like GIbro already stated red rice yeast is useless because the statin in it had been removed for a couple of years now .many of the Otc supps will definitely cost more money but many do not have the sides associated with the use of a statin .

OTC products are hit and miss to say the least as far a quality is concerned. Why not just spring for a low dose statin and be done with it? Most, if not all insurances will pay for this. Although, if you insist on using OTC, a standard protocol would be red yeast rice (which actually contains a statin as the active ingredient) niacin (regular, not the non-flush kind) and fish oil. You will more than likely pay more for the OTC regimine vs Rx as well, but unto each his own :headbang:

Statins? You are misinformed. it is very dangerous advice to tell a healthy person to take a statin and I suggest you consider discontinuing yourself. You'll thank me later.

The Grave Dangers of Statin Drugs?and the Surprising Benefits of Cholesterol

**broken link removed**

Statins? You are misinformed. it is very dangerous advice to tell a healthy person to take a statin and I suggest you consider discontinuing yourself. You'll thank me later.

The Grave Dangers of Statin Drugs?and the Surprising Benefits of Cholesterol

**broken link removed**

As I am sure you know high cholesterol over a long period of time leads to coronary artery disease leading to death...this is a direct correlation, period. Now, one may be "healthy" but exposure to high levels of LDL and low levels of HDL over a long period of time may lead to problems down the road. Which is the point of starting a regimen early before one becomes "unhealthy" I am sure you are an expert in the field of pharmacology, so tell me why millions of people are on these meds yet tolerate them quite well? Not trying to be a dick here but Iam just curious.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear