over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

EXPERIMENT!

I am curious as to what you are getting at? Do you think this is more because of general neglect of the less advanced people doing incline on a regular basis, or that by doing incline you can improve your flat bench but not the converse? Perhaps both? I am also curious as to what your thoughts are on the development of the chest with respect to both exercises. Can we eliminate the need for flat bench or at least reduce it by supplementing more inclines in workouts?

Just some thoughts, I like the idea of this thread so far.
the majority of your chest is in your upper chest region! inclines work your overall chest better. people have much stronger benches than inclines because their chest is actually weak. and they are incorporation more delt, lat and momentum with their bench press. show me a guy with a big ass incline and i'll show you a thick chest mofo.

Interesting, I wonder what the similarity in moving weight for both exercises might be for the more developed guys? Maybe just the more developed guys work harder in general :D.

I know personally (never competed and the only cycling I've done so far has been on my 10 speed) my incline hangs behind my bench by a good 40-50 pounds. However, like you Phidias I have not noticed much of a benefit from doing inclines (though I still do them).

Maybe all this time my delts have been benefiting and I just haven't realized it.

the majority of your chest is in your upper chest region! inclines work your overall chest better. people have much stronger benches than inclines because their chest is actually weak. and they are incorporation more delt, lat and momentum with their bench press. show me a guy with a big ass incline and i'll show you a thick chest mofo.

Very interesting! I feel that I should work on this and let you know how it goes. Kevin Levrone videos come to mind when talking about big ass inclines and thick chests.

Interesting, I wonder what the similarity in moving weight for both exercises might be for the more developed guys? Maybe just the more developed guys work harder in general :D.

I know personally (never competed and the only cycling I've done so far has been on my 10 speed) my incline hangs behind my bench by a good 40-50 pounds. However, like you Phidias I have not noticed much of a benefit from doing inclines (though I still do them).

Maybe all this time my delts have been benefiting and I just haven't realized it.
phidias might not think he's getting very much out of them but by the weight he's slinging and the fact that his incline is close to his bench shows me that he's getting more out of them than he believes ;)

Very interesting! I feel that I should work on this and let you know how it goes. Kevin Levrone videos come to mind when talking about big ass inclines and thick chests.
ha ha yes young jedi! and ronnie coleman and branch warren also come to mind :)

1. list your best lifts for 12 reps in the bench, incline bench, squat, deadlift, and barbell shoulder press (bench and incline must be barbell also) along with your bodyweight at wich these lifts were performed

Well I'm dieting now..So I have lefted heavier before..But here's what I currently did this week.

Decline Bench 315 for 15, 365 for 8-10
Close Grip Bench 365 for around 7-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfMPDlHV26E
*This was back month or so ago*
Squats 405 for 12-15 (Just started doing this after while not doing them, Been 3 weeks now.
Deadlift - don't do
Barbell Shoulder Press - don't do

I don't count reps..These are just the numbers people tell me that spot me.

Only 2 camera phone pics from recent. (I know you guy's must be getting tired of seeing me)

Last edited:
you want another good example! look at shelby's back and look at shelby's deadlift weights, he has posted a view youtube videos! another point to ponder ;)

Phidias - how many shows have you competed in?

4, Shelby! :)

Two in November 2006 (I won the overall in the first one, and one week later placed 3rd in the biggest contest in my country... an Open called "Weider Trophy Intl"), a qualifier for the NABBA Mr Universe in 2007 (unfortunately I unjured my shoulder a few weeks before the event in Southport, UK, and had to give up) and one last year (our local Nationals where I placed 2nd in the HW - no SHW class).

1. list your best lifts for 12 reps in the bench, incline bench, squat, deadlift, and barbell shoulder press (bench and incline must be barbell also) along with your bodyweight at wich these lifts were performed

Well I'm dieting now..So I have lefted heavier before..But here's what I currently did this week.

Decline Bench 315 for 15, 365 for 8-10
Close Grip Bench 365 for around 7-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfMPDlHV26E
*This was back month or so ago*
Squats 405 for 12-15 (Just started doing this after while not doing them, Been 3 weeks now.
Deadlift - don't do
Barbell Shoulder Press - don't do

I don't count reps..These are just the numbers people tell me that spot me.

Only 2 camera phone pics from recent. (I know you guy's must be getting tired of seeing me)
do you not incline? and if you don't deadlift then give me a bent over row number! and give me an all time squat number, I understand when you stop doing certain excersises the numbers will go down but if you were once had good numbers it still shows my point to a degree.

ok i think i figured this out.
bw 201lbs
5'7"

decline - 375 x 8
weighted dips - bw + 200lbs x 8
pullups - bw + 90 lbs x 9
squat - 345 x 10
bent over db row - 160 x 7
lateral raises 80lbs x 9
dont do incline, deadlift, shoulder press, flat bench
weakest bodypart - legs, chest, back, traps

sorry i couldnt post a back pic i just took these myself. im actually embarrassed to post a pic with all these monsters here, i have so much work to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
Just goes to show, get strong and you'll get thick.
Good thread! I'll have to bump this in a year or so when I do my show to quality. lol
thanks for posting this.

you want another good example! look at shelby's back and look at shelby's deadlift weights, he has posted a view youtube videos! another point to ponder ;)

I have been sticking to machine inclines, but I think I might go back to free weight bar and dumbbells. I will try to get some pics up tonight to let you know what I am working with.

phidias might not think he's getting very much out of them but by the weight he's slinging and the fact that his incline is close to his bench shows me that he's getting more out of them than he believes ;)

LOL! I guess you're right... :p

4, Shelby! :)

Two in November 2006 (I won the overall in the first one, and one week later placed 3rd in the biggest contest in my country... an Open called "Weider Trophy Intl"), a qualifier for the NABBA Mr Universe in 2007 (unfortunately I unjured my shoulder a few weeks before the event in Southport, UK, and had to give up) and one last year (our local Nationals where I placed 2nd in the HW - no SHW class).

Awesome, thanks.

Great track record.

Great thread! Really appreciate the info being put on here to review. Has the makings of a sticky for sure. Great idea BBOY

do you not incline? and if you don't deadlift then give me a bent over row number! and give me an all time squat number, I understand when you stop doing certain excersises the numbers will go down but if you were once had good numbers it still shows my point to a degree.

I have done 405 bent over barbell row 8 reps I think.
545 squats 8 reps
Flat Bench I have done a 495 bench for 4 reps 2 years ago
When I was into powerlifting for my school, I was 161 clean n jerk 315 at school, while dieting for a show..sucked.
After powerlifting was over I was around 185-191 I think..I think I pulled 6 plates on deadlifts for 4-6 reps..I didn't deadlift much.
^^16 yrs old at the time during powerlifting for skool
I'm scared with bench..tore something back when I was 16 warming up on flat bench..so I flat bench every few years when I get a kick..I try and get more reps now.

Weak points for me - Chest & Arms
I'm not real strong on squats but my legs respond pretty good no matter what.

I taped my legs at 30inches in 230's i'm 5'7..

Can't wait to see the theory behind this.

I hope i'm not sounding like i'm bragging..I'm as humble as american pie...I know there's some beast on this board..(Shelby)

Last edited:

My incline is about 25-50 lbs heavier than my bench over the years. I benched a bit in my early days but always did incline BB or smith incline first and at least 7 sets (I read an article by Franco Columbo on how he did inclines first to get that massive split and upper chest development) when volume training then maybe some db bench and flyes both at slight inclines. I have of course over the years played around with different exercises like wide dips and some bench presses to the neck and cambered bar benches etc but the CORE of my chest was built on inclines and still is today.
I do 2 exercises for chest only Incline Smith and or Incline BB one or the other and then follow it with a 20 rep set of flat db presses and a wide grip dip extreme stretch. My max BP was 495 for 2, never maxed out on Incline BB's but at my peak did 485 for 6 reps and 435 for sets of 8.

I really don't believe in exercise rotations after 20 years of training it's always chins and rows for back, inclines for chest, for legs some type of squat and always use (leg presses to warm up the quads hips hams knees etc) calves standing calf raises, abs weighted incline sit ups, forearms hammer curls, biceps some form of preacher curl, delts some form of behind the neck presses and hams good mornings fry my hams more than anything....

Never been a great dead lifter dead lifted 495 for reps and bb rowed 435 for reps so I was always taunted about that LOL

This pic is from a my last comp a little over 10 years ago -(ouch) I can post a rear one as well as my back is my best body part and hams and later on can post up some recent ones today.

Good thread idea B-boy I could write a volume on genetics and response to exercises....I am a walking example...

*disclaimer* this is what works for me I am not discounting other training systems either but I just am not a machine guy -other than the smith and have adapted over the years to be wired into these exercises.

Attachments

• avagf.jpg
    avagf.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,725
I have done 405 bent over barbell row 8 reps I think.
545 squats 8 reps
Flat Bench I have done a 495 bench for 4 reps 2 years ago
When I was into powerlifting for my school, I was 161 clean n jerk 315 at school, while dieting for a show..sucked.
After powerlifting was over I was around 185-191 I think..I think I pulled 6 plates on deadlifts for 4-6 reps..I didn't deadlift much.
^^16 yrs old at the time during powerlifting for skool
I'm scared with bench..tore something back when I was 16 warming up on flat bench..so I flat bench every few years when I get a kick..I try and get more reps now.

Weak points for me - Chest & Arms
I'm not real strong on squats but my legs respond pretty good no matter what.

I taped my legs at 30inches in 230's i'm 5'7..

Can't wait to see the theory behind this.

I hope i'm not sounding like i'm bragging..I'm as humble as american pie...I know there's some beast on this board..(Shelby)
good lifts bro! im just (for now) seeing everyones strength relative to their size. if you want a bigger chest get your inclince up to the weights you are pushing on bench and I will gaurantee you a thick chest! especially in the side chest shot :)

My incline is about 25-50 lbs heavier than my bench over the years. I benched a bit in my early days but always did incline BB or smith incline first and at least 7 sets (I read an article by Franco Columbo on how he did inclines first to get that massive split and upper chest development) when volume training then maybe some db bench and flyes both at slight inclines. I have of course over the years played around with different exercises like wide dips and some bench presses to the neck and cambered bar benches etc but the CORE of my chest was built on inclines and still is today.
I do 2 exercises for chest only Incline Smith and or Incline BB one or the other and then follow it with a 20 rep set of flat db presses and a wide grip dip extreme stretch. My max BP was 495 for 2, never maxed out on Incline BB's but at my peak did 485 for 6 reps and 435 for sets of 8.

I really don't believe in exercise rotations after 20 years of training it's always chins and rows for back, inclines for chest, for legs some type of squat and always use (leg presses to warm up the quads hips hams knees etc) calves standing calf raises, abs weighted incline sit ups, forearms hammer curls, biceps some form of preacher curl, delts some form of behind the neck presses and hams good mornings fry my hams more than anything....

Never been a great dead lifter dead lifted 495 for reps and bb rowed 435 for reps so I was always taunted about that LOL

This pic is from a my last comp a little over 10 years ago -(ouch) I can post a rear one as well as my back is my best body part and hams and later on can post up some recent ones today.

Good thread idea B-boy I could write a volume on genetics and response to exercises....I am a walking example...

*disclaimer* this is what works for me I am not discounting other training systems either but I just am not a machine guy -other than the smith and have adapted over the years to be wired into these exercises.
ha ha shit me and you have a lot of the same thoughts when it comes to training! I did nothing but inclines last year, this year I have mixed things up a lil more, but incline is still the staple of my chest excersies. massive you know where im going with this, I am a big fan of dante and his thoughts on training, even if i don't always do DC training i believe in slinging heavy slag iron to build a sick thick physique, thus the need for me not have to take 4g of shit to compete at the next level, why cause i built a physiqe with heavy slag iron before i ever started tinkering with "supplements" and continue to do so today. I lift big and i eat big (sometimes eat to big LOL).

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws