YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Father has Spinal Stenosis.....any tips?

FrancisK

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
My father is 65 was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, it pains me to see him walk around like a cripple all of a sudden. Besides an inversion table which I already picked up for him does anyone have any tips that can help?

Thank you in advance!

My father is 65 was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, it pains me to see him walk around like a cripple all of a sudden. Besides an inversion table which I already picked up for him does anyone have any tips that can help?

Thank you in advance!

Be careful with the inversion table. Have him take things very slow, short duration, not a steep decline. I was too aggressive with the inversion table and if irritated things causing swelling which pressed against the nerves. It made things so bad I couldn’t walk for weeks and was in severe pain 24/7. Percocet and THC/CBD didn’t help much at all.

When I looking at inversion tables a few years ago after being diagnosed with srenosis, collapsed disc, herniated disc etc. I could only find one study about inversion tables and it showed that people with herniated disc ended up with more pain in general after using the tables.

I am 69 still in outstanding shape but suffer from scoleosis as opposed to sentosis from too many years at the squat rack. Bottom line, both are spinal. 5 years ago my neurosurgeon put me on Lirica (which just went generic) and what a difference it made in my life. Could barely walk at one point and now walk normally, train normally in the gym.

I am 69 still in outstanding shape but suffer from scoleosis as opposed to sentosis from too many years at the squat rack. Bottom line, both are spinal. 5 years ago my neurosurgeon put me on Lirica (which just went generic) and what a difference it made in my life. Could barely walk at one point and now walk normally, train normally in the gym.

What does lirica do? I googled it but it wasn’t there.

I have stenosis and the inversion table made it worse. Ultimately needed two lumbar fusions to correct the problem.

Lyrica is some nasty shit,it's a Class 5 controlled substance. I was on low dosage (100mg) before my fusion,and 600mg afterwards to help with the nerve pain. I was like a zombie and stopping it was worse then coming off opiates. To this day my brain still isn't the same as it was before I was prescribed it. I have trouble putting thoughts together,constructing sentences in my head before I speak and memory loss as a result. It's nasty shit. Avoid if possible.

Last edited:
What does lirica do? I googled it but it wasn’t there.

It's spelled Lyrica and it's Pregabalin, very similar to Gabapentin (Neurontin).

As for the OP's fathers issue, there aren't any drugs here that can fix stenosis. NSAID's, Cortisone Shots, Gabapentin, Lyrica may help some of the symptoms. It all depends on what is causing the stenosis. If it's a disc bulge then PT and cortisone may be able to get the disc back in place. If it's caused by bone spur(s) (calcification), then the only way to fix it is through surgery.

It's spelled Lyrica and it's Pregabalin, very similar to Gabapentin (Neurontin).

As for the OP's fathers issue, there aren't any drugs here that can fix stenosis. NSAID's, Cortisone Shots, Gabapentin, Lyrica may help some of the symptoms. It all depends on what is causing the stenosis. If it's a disc bulge then PT and cortisone may be able to get the disc back in place. If it's caused by bone spur(s) (calcification), then the only way to fix it is through surgery.

Right. Dealing with stenosis now.Had the shots, Gabapentin that made me feel like shit and a bottle of Lyrica sitting on the shelf that I refuse to take. read too many horror stories. Surgeon said operation is the only option. Can't screw with this. Permanent damage is not an option for me...

Last edited:
I am 33 years old and have congenital scoliosis (fun pic of my spine below), 3 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. Went to 2 surgeons and both said they believe I am too young for major surgery at this point. Even with as much as pain as I am in I can still stand, walk around and most importantly lift. I would have to have rods put in for the scoliosis and a fusion for the discs. Since they both said the risks involve death and possibly come out worse than before I decided to wait a few years until I have no other option but to do it.

I had a nerve ablation two years ago that did absolutely nothing for me but I know many others have had success with that so its something to look into.

So for the time being I am on pain management of 5mgs Lortabs in the morning and 15mgs morphine sulfate for the evenings along with Valium to help me fall asleep. Thank god I don't have any addiction issues and have not had to up my dosage over the last few years. I even take days off to make sure I don't have a physical dependency. A few times a year I get steroid injections but I don't think they really help.

At home I invested in a zero gravity chair (Positive Posture Luma) which was not cheap but absolutely amazing to relax in and watch TV as a lot of my pain comes from lying on the couch or even in bed. This relieves all that pressure. I also bought a back brace on Amazon that I wear around the house when I'm doing normal activities like cooking, the dishes, outdoor work, etc... for extra support.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• spine1.jpg
    spine1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I am 33 years old and have congenital scoliosis (fun pic of my spine below), 3 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. Went to 2 surgeons and both said they believe I am too young for major surgery at this point. Even with as much as pain as I am in I can still stand, walk around and most importantly lift. I would have to have rods put in for the scoliosis and a fusion for the discs. Since they both said the risks involve death and possibly come out worse than before I decided to wait a few years until I have no other option but to do it.

I had a nerve ablation two years ago that did absolutely nothing for me but I know many others have had success with that so its something to look into.

So for the time being I am on pain management of 5mgs Lortabs in the morning and 15mgs morphine sulfate for the evenings along with Valium to help me fall asleep. Thank god I don't have any addiction issues and have not had to up my dosage over the last few years. I even take days off to make sure I don't have a physical dependency. A few times a year I get steroid injections but I don't think they really help.

At home I invested in a zero gravity chair (Positive Posture Luma) which was not cheap but absolutely amazing to relax in and watch TV as a lot of my pain comes from lying on the couch or even in bed. This relieves all that pressure. I also bought a back brace on Amazon that I wear around the house when I'm doing normal activities like cooking, the dishes, outdoor work, etc... for extra support.

Hope this helps!
Your spine looks exactly like mine did before my fusion. I had no discs left between L2-S1 and it was bone on bone resulting in nerves being crushed. I had the surgery done before any nerves died off. But before I had that done I had a severe,excruciating burning pain going down the entire length of the back of my left leg,and into my foot/toes. That burning pain is now 100% gone.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws