YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

FBI file on controversial steroid guru Daniel Duchaine reveal his skill at evading th

Loved reading his stuff in the 80's! Young guys today can't imagine how valuable his writings/books were. There was no internet back then, no easy way to look up steroid information. Dan was a hero! LOL!!

Loved reading his stuff in the 80's! Young guys today can't imagine how valuable his writings/books were. There was no internet back then, no easy way to look up steroid information. Dan was a hero! LOL!!

I had heard of the book but didn't know where to get it. All the info I got was through the gym and guys I knew personally. Buying stuff was only done through people you got to know and they trusted you.

He was on these same forums in the 90's....he ran the show wherever and whenever he posted. Guy was brilliant. You guys who were not around back then really missed something special. I wish he was still here today to give his thoughts on everything. There will never be anybody close to Duchaine, he was such a weird, unique and genius of a man. I have not seen anybody close to him, even though there are some very intelligent individuals amongst us in this subculture. He was the Tesla of the BB/AAS/Underground world.

He was on these same forums in the 90's....he ran the show wherever and whenever he posted. Guy was brilliant. You guys who were not around back then really missed something special. I wish he was still here today to give his thoughts on everything. There will never be anybody close to Duchaine, he was such a weird, unique and genius of a man. I have not seen anybody close to him, even though there are some very intelligent individuals amongst us in this subculture. He was the Tesla of the BB/AAS/Underground world.

That's a splendid tribute... and coming from you, BMJ, it means even more. :)

Thanks Phidias, I hope you know that feeling is mutual, my friend:)

His writing style was very good. He was the best at posting something to get reactions and people to discuss matters, or to find things out. It wasn't just in his articles. People that were around back over in the mfw days will probably remember him posting, but he was also on some private forums as well. The guy was super nice, but intimidating as well. yea, little Dan could make you feel 2" tall if he wanted to, he could be vicious if he wanted to (Think Lyle McDonald type). I was a nobody back then, just some young kid in a candy store type of feeling (not that I consider myself much now either, lol). One thing he was good at was bringing guys with practical experience together with guys that had strong science backgrounds, and then it grew from there. I don't think he gets enough credit for that imo. He noted a few times how he couldn't stand Bill Roberts, but he was smart enough to know that we needed guys of that caliber to advance a lot of things in the field, and how we use and apply and generate new ideas and compounds.

I wish dante and some others would write more on him here. Dan wasn't always right on some of his theories, but he was right more than wrong, and when he was wrong, things developed from it and we learned from them. He was good at going back and stating he was wrong on stuff from the past, which was always cool. For never taking a science class, he was a damn genius imo. What he knew was unheard of with only a background in like theater IIRC.

I do have to throw a disclaimer in here though. I never met Dan, and I can't say I conversed with him much. Like I said, I read everything he put out like a bible, and I would ask him questions here and there on the forums and email (he always answered your questions even if he was snarky), but that was it for me. He wouldn't even remember me to be honest, lol.

I had his book too. Ate it up and the information was like gold. I lived in the San Diego CA area and would go to TJ and he had a section on counterfeits in Mexico and the real stuff and that was very good information indeed.
saved me a lot.

BodyOpus was my bible when I first decided to stop just weight training and actually wanted to get in shape and compete.
As said above - Dan was on the forums (not sure if it was "bolex or meso - just remember him). He was sure nuff an odd dude - but was like a bio-chemist savant.

Steroid information available to us in the late 80's early 90's

Steroid information available to us in the 80's...

**broken link removed**

underground-steroid-handbook1.jpg

23944580.jpg

going back in time . . .

Beg to differ. There was the ‘internet’ back them. It was call the Usenet,
unix based, originally developed by and for universities communication,
the ability to read and post messages called ‘news’ to one or more
categories, known as newsgroups. This is going back ~30 years ago, 10
years before the www . . . so, maybe, technically, not the ‘internet.’

But there was tons of steroid information available in that newsgroup
way back then. So it was an easy way to get steroid info, but you had to
have access to Usenet newsreaders. I did through work.

Dan Duchaine was a regular poster and I was a regular reader at
rec.fitnes.weights; I think that was the correct category . . . it’s been
awhile :( Perhaps some of our older member will remember that time.

I read it every morning but never posted to the best of my recollection.
A lot of real characters in that news group (nothing’s changed ;) ).
It was very free and open and unmoderated in many cases. There was
some weird shit being posted on some of the newsgroups (don’t ask).

Like I said, Dan was a regular and prolific poster (also experimenter?)
about the use of steroids with many ‘novel’ approaches. Very
knowledgeable. Don’t think he ever looked the part or worked out that
much, if at all, was really into bicycling too I think.

I have always loved his writings and I have always been inspired by them. I'm Dan D. where I come from!

Yea, the misc.fitness.weights (mfw) newsgroup was a feeding ground for brutal arguing and people fighting with each other. I never posted there, it was like a clusterfukk of who could call the other person more names and still get a point across. I was only like 18 years old when I first joined. It had all the guys from the magazines in it. You really had to have a thick skin to be there. What we see today is peanuts compared to the bashing on that newsgroup, lol. It drove a lot of people away, but like anything, you always went back reading more. There was good info there, a lot of it, you just had to sift through the garbage.

^^^ DAMN - that's old... I graduated HS in 90 and remember hearing about usenet - but I didn't have access. I never knew anyone personally that got into the bodybuilding message boards - but knew some guys that were tech geeks that were always talking. Was that back when you had to actually put the phone receiver on the cradle (whatever it was called)

sorry . . . a bit off topic

Yea, the misc.fitness.weights (mfw) newsgroup was a feeding ground for brutal arguing and people fighting with each other. I never posted there, it was like a clusterfukk of who could call the other person more names and still get a point across. I was only like 18 years old when I first joined. It had all the guys from the magazines in it. You really had to have a thick skin to be there. What we see today is peanuts compared to the bashing on that newsgroup, lol. It drove a lot of people away, but like anything, you always went back reading more. There was good info there, a lot of it, you just had to sift through the garbage.

Remember Rob Schuh? Just learned he has passed. Sad. He was one of the real
shit disturbers on mfw. A real character. Very very opinionated (but knowledgeable
too). Makes Tenny look like Mr. Nice Guy :p When I talked to Robert last, and we
talked quite a few times . . . oh, ~ ten years ago, he was very helpful to me. He had a
host of medical issues he was going through. Everybody wanted to blame it on
his steroid usage so nothing changed there ;) He was a hell of a bodybuilder (and
a drummer . . . played with Jaco) when he competed.

Yea, mfw was not for the faint-of-heart. Like you said, you had to have a thick skin
to participate there and what we see here is nothing compared to that newsgroup.
I never posted, just lurked and tried to absorb, separate the wheat from the chaff.
People who think this forum is rough have no idea.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.makers.percussion/mmyfWGTFi_g

Last edited:
This is gold and a delightful blast from the past. Duchaine was a God to those of us who were trying to find out about steroids in the 80's and early 90's...nobody else has come close to his vision, genius, and writing ability. In the 80's all I could do is read Duchaine's work and go to the library to check out Bob Goldman's "Death in the Locker Room."

misc.fitness.weights came along, and Muscle Media 2000, and Dan's work was promoted to a wider audience of eager disciples. Dan was reckless but visionary and imaginative...and a damn funny writer when he wanted to tell a good story.

We ended up having mutual connections. I count myself blessed to have talked to him on the phone once, and consumed GHB cooked up in his kitchen. Those were the days, guys today have no idea what they missed in that more innocent age of the past.

I didn't know shit about it back then but man do I miss ultimate orange, did my best wrestling jacked up on that stuff....

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws