over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

FDA article on bodybuilding "products"

Bigorexia

Registered
Caution: Bodybuilding Products Can Be Risky

Body Building Products Can Be Risky
Red envelope icon for Gov delivery Get Consumer Updates by email.
Your buddy at the gym can’t say enough about the bodybuilding products he’s been taking to help build muscle mass and strength. You wonder, are they all safe to use?

According to CDR Mark S. Miller, Pharm. D., a regulatory review officer at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), bodybuilding products that contain steroids or steroid-like substances are associated with potentially serious health risks, including liver injury. “Some of the liver injuries were life-threatening,” CDR Miller says.

CDR Miller was the lead reviewer assessing hundreds of adverse event reports made to the FDA from July 2009 through December 2016. Thirty-five reports showed evidence of serious liver injury.

In addition to liver injury, anabolic steroids have been associated with serious reactions such as severe acne, hair loss, altered mood, irritability, increased aggression, and depression. They have also been associated with life-threatening reactions such as kidney damage, heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs), and deep vein thrombosis (blood clots that occur in veins deep in the body).

These bodybuilding products are promoted as hormone products and/or as alternatives to anabolic steroids for increasing muscle mass and strength. Many of these products make claims about the ability of the active ingredients to enhance or diminish androgen, estrogen, or progestin-like effects in the body, but actually contain anabolic steroids or steroid-like substances, synthetic hormones related to the male hormone testosterone.

Bodybuilding Products May Contain Steroids

Cara Welch, Ph.D., a senior advisor in FDA’s Office of Dietary Supplement Programs, explains that many of these bodybuilding products sold online as well as in retail stores, are labeled as “dietary supplements.” “In fact,” she says, “many of these products are not dietary supplements at all; they are illegally marketed, unapproved new drugs.” FDA has not reviewed these products for safety, effectiveness, or quality before these companies began marketing.
CDR Jason Humbert, a regulatory operations officer in FDA’s Office of Regulatory Affairs, says that potentially harmful, sometimes hidden ingredients in products promoted for body building continue to be a concern. “The companies making these products are breaking the law by exploiting an easily accessible marketplace to get these products to consumers,” he says. “In the end, it’s consumers who are put in harm’s way by taking dangerous ingredients from products promoted as having miraculous results or making empty promises, and who may not understand the risks.”

Some who use bodybuilding products engage in “stacking,” using multiple products (including stimulants or products providing false assurances of liver protection) to enhance results or “gains.” These combinations may put consumers at greater risk for serious and life-threatening reactions.

What to Do

If you’re taking any body building products that claim to contain steroids or steroid-like substances, FDA recommends that you stop taking them immediately because of the potentially serious health risks associated with using them, CDR Miller says. The agency also recommends that you:
Talk to your health care professional about any body building products and/or ingredients you have taken or are planning to take, particularly if you are uncertain about those ingredients.
Talk to your health care professional if you are experiencing symptoms possibly associated with these products, particularly nausea, weakness or fatigue, fever, abdominal pain, chest pain, shortness of breath, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes), or brown or discolored urine.
FDA Taking Regulatory Action

In addition to issuing warning letters, CDR Humbert says, the agency can pursue other regulatory or enforcement actions against sellers of these illegal products. However, this can be challenging, particularly when sellers operate exclusively online. “Firm names or websites often are easily changed, or products can be relabeled in an effort to evade authorities and scam consumers,” CDR Humbert says.
The FDA encourages consumers and health care professionals to report adverse events or serious side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA’s MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program (MedWatch).

This article appears on the FDA’s Consumer Updates page, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.

June 20, 2017

Man I wish they list which products. Those are probably the ones that actually work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Man I wish they list which products. Those are probably the ones that actually work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Lol! Funny I thought the same and was hopeing they would mention some.

What a joke.

Alcohol causes liver problems. Why not bash that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I thought drugs cure, prevent or treat disease... how can these be labeled as drugs...
If the label makes a drug or a disease claim its a drug in the eyes of the FDA

Argumentum ad ignoratiam

I thought drugs cure, prevent or treat disease... how can these be labeled as drugs...
For example a bottle of moisturizer labeled "skin lightening cream" is a drug. Skin lightening is a drug claim. It has its own OTC monograph and only products which comply with the monograph can make that claim. And a bottle of moisturizer labeled "soft skin, " is a cosmetic because soft skin is neither a drug nor a disease claim

Argumentum ad ignoratiam

why is it so difficult to see that our current systems, methods and ideas of dealing antiquated and insufficient.

society struggles with supplements, drugs, herbs... why?

well mostly we keep trying to make round pegs fit in square holes.

we need change brothers.

time to stop accepting fda.

time to stop accepting F anything!
as a matter of fact...

F the F'.d's!!!!!:eek:
:headbang:

why is it so difficult to see that our current systems, methods and ideas of dealing antiquated and insufficient.

society struggles with supplements, drugs, herbs... why?

well mostly we keep trying to make round pegs fit in square holes.

we need change brothers.

time to stop accepting fda.

time to stop accepting F anything!
as a matter of fact...

F the F'.d's!!!!!:eek:
:headbang:

society doesnt. feds do. why? cuz they arent regulated.
anything, or nothing, can be in the bottle. thanx to lobbyists for the supplement industry.
here. frontline's episode on it, the first part is kinda what the op's post referred to, watch it, maybe u'll learn something.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr-IcuhvU3A"]PBS FrontLine Supplements and Safety 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

society doesnt. feds do. why? cuz they arent regulated.
anything, or nothing, can be in the bottle. thanx to lobbyists for the supplement industry.
here. frontline's episode on it, the first part is kinda what the op's post referred to, watch it, maybe u'll learn something.
PBS FrontLine Supplements and Safety 2016 - YouTube

here again my friend...
square peg round hole...
venture outside of the box!

i am well aware that most sups are... not quite what they are supposed to be... probably that has fueled some of my.... lol

feds have no place in any of this.
not in my sups
not in my body
not in my life

i as an free and educated consumer should be free to purchase what i like for my own use.

who are these ppl to tell ME how i should use whatever.... look at them!

the problem is everybodys less then moral quest for money...:lightbulb:

technology has changed as has the world.
we now have the technology to test products accurately.
gcms n what not.

using this technology we could ensure what is being sold is whats on the label.

govt and anyone else be damned.
more laws and more restrictions are bad for us all.

here again my friend...
square peg round hole...
venture outside of the box!

i am well aware that most sups are... not quite what they are supposed to be... probably that has fueled some of my.... lol

feds have no place in any of this.
not in my sups
not in my body
not in my life

i as an free and educated consumer should be free to purchase what i like for my own use.

who are these ppl to tell ME how i should use whatever.... look at them!

the problem is everybodys less then moral quest for money...:lightbulb:

technology has changed as has the world.
we now have the technology to test products accurately.
gcms n what not.

using this technology we could ensure what is being sold is whats on the label.

govt and anyone else be damned.
more laws and more restrictions are bad for us all.

I agree with this. In this free country I am a citizen of, I have worked hard, paid my taxes and never once committed a crime. I'n the guy who helps my neighbors and will help anyone in need. I hit 50 and my hormones slowed down, couldn't get it up and my quality of life was fading. So what did I do? I started going to a local men's clinic, the legal route, ok? They messed me up even worse, so I took matters into my own hands. I spent three years educating myself and some trial and error, have tweaked myself into the best physical health and well being I've been since I was probably 20 years old. I am smart with my decisions, research and run labs and am careful with what I do. But oh, this free country I live in, tells me I'm breaking all sorts of laws and should be labeled a felon, for responsibly taking my health and well being into my own hands. And I have done better for myself that any doctor was willing to, or able to.

I think personal use hormones, should be legal in all forms. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone treating low T and using anti-aging things.

Bodybuilding has been thrown under the bus since the early nineties. Look what happens when TMZ and ESPn get a hold of the Dallas Mccarver and Rich Piana story, they cover the hell out of that. Yet refuse to cover the Olympia, or even masters guys who are 50,60 and 70 and look incredible compared to the average guy

I agree with this. In this free country I am a citizen of, I have worked hard, paid my taxes and never once committed a crime. I'n the guy who helps my neighbors and will help anyone in need. I hit 50 and my hormones slowed down, couldn't get it up and my quality of life was fading. So what did I do? I started going to a local men's clinic, the legal route, ok? They messed me up even worse, so I took matters into my own hands. I spent three years educating myself and some trial and error, have tweaked myself into the best physical health and well being I've been since I was probably 20 years old. I am smart with my decisions, research and run labs and am careful with what I do. But oh, this free country I live in, tells me I'm breaking all sorts of laws and should be labeled a felon, for responsibly taking my health and well being into my own hands. And I have done better for myself that any doctor was willing to, or able to.

I think personal use hormones, should be legal in all forms. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone treating low T and using anti-aging things.

thank you for sharing that.
perfect example of what i mean.

many people make this decision when it is forced on them for health reasons often later in life.

for me it happened when i was quite young 20 ish.

i made a concious decision to not age the way those before me did.
i wanted to be how i wanted, look how i wanted feel how i wanted and fuck how i wanted.

who is anyone to tell me those joys of life are not avialable to me?

who is to tell me i have to be sick/weak/suffer?

why should there be only one option?

for some, many the normal dr approach just does not work.

the example above( video) shows what "normal" people do next... they look for some dipshit to tell them what to do!

zero person responseabliity. they do what is told. like children. adults go looking to someone else asking hey, what do i do? what do i take? how do i take it? for how long? how many caps a day?

i want to smack people in there fuckin mouth for such idiocy!

man up!
grow up!
take responsability for you!

that shit isnt always fun either.

the problem is most people dont want the truth...
truth you need some real physical exercise or activity in your day!

need motherfucker need. if you dont have that you suffer!
i do. i cant live without the gym, biking, running, fighting something to push!

yet when one makes this decision one quickly learns that we are not free!
this is a what the fuck people modern situation that i dont understand.

my body, should be my right.

we can make our selves fat and sick and drink and smoke to death.
we have monuments of society built to alcohol and tobaccoo wich will fuck you up and kill you no question no doubt no joke.

then we lock ppl up for various plants?????

what the fuck people???

there has to be another option!:banghead:
:welcome:

That FDA article wasn't supposed to bash steroids
it was simply a warning to un-informed individuals that may be taking designer steroids.

They seem to just want to decrease the danger, said to talk to your doctor about what you're taking or are going to take which is what you should be doing but many don't. At least then you'll have a doctor giving you tests for certain things that CAN go wrong (not WILL)

The FDA isn't clueless about bodybuilding and PED's in other sports

"Talk to your doctor before taking these products"

My doctor is usually a moron whose overweight with bad bloodwork himself.:p

That FDA article wasn't supposed to bash steroids
it was simply a warning to un-informed individuals that may be taking designer steroids.

They seem to just want to decrease the danger, said to talk to your doctor about what you're taking or are going to take which is what you should be doing but many don't. At least then you'll have a doctor giving you tests for certain things that CAN go wrong (not WILL)

The FDA isn't clueless about bodybuilding and PED's in other sports

i think really the only way to reduce danger is to be honest.

honesty is missing.
i look back and i started taking "prohormones" when they first came out, back then i thought "steroids" were bad... lol 20 years ago

now half of the board is jumping up n down wishing they had those "prohormones" again.. lol thay were just more aas. we know now, i know now.

i am very much the minority in much of this. lol

we have so much denial and bullshit going on and 100% that fucks people up... dumb kids look to "supplements" as a "safe" alternative to aas, thanks to bullshit marketing and lies and...:rolleyes:

20+ years and worse then before. great job by the feds! kik:banghead:

thank you for sharing that.
perfect example of what i mean.

many people make this decision when it is forced on them for health reasons often later in life.

for me it happened when i was quite young 20 ish.

i made a concious decision to not age the way those before me did.
i wanted to be how i wanted, look how i wanted feel how i wanted and fuck how i wanted.

who is anyone to tell me those joys of life are not avialable to me?

who is to tell me i have to be sick/weak/suffer?

why should there be only one option?

for some, many the normal dr approach just does not work.

the example above( video) shows what "normal" people do next... they look for some dipshit to tell them what to do!

zero person responseabliity. they do what is told. like children. adults go looking to someone else asking hey, what do i do? what do i take? how do i take it? for how long? how many caps a day?

i want to smack people in there fuckin mouth for such idiocy!

man up!
grow up!
take responsability for you!

that shit isnt always fun either.

the problem is most people dont want the truth...
truth you need some real physical exercise or activity in your day!

need motherfucker need. if you dont have that you suffer!
i do. i cant live without the gym, biking, running, fighting something to push!

yet when one makes this decision one quickly learns that we are not free!
this is a what the fuck people modern situation that i dont understand.

my body, should be my right.

we can make our selves fat and sick and drink and smoke to death.
we have monuments of society built to alcohol and tobaccoo wich will fuck you up and kill you no question no doubt no joke.

then we lock ppl up for various plants?????

what the fuck people???

there has to be another option!:banghead:
:welcome:

I'm a lot like you in the sense I have to be busy, working, training, doing, something to beat, overcome and accomplish. To me, that is living. With that and now being 50, I fucking refuse to age gracefully and like my peers becoming fat lazy slobs with high estrogen and sitting around bitching like old women. LOL. That is what many of my life long guy friends are becoming. Me? I've been a gym rat all my life, so I had a good base and was in decent shape, but noticed the decline. Not recovering the same, muscle mass fading some, libido in the tank and just starting to look old. Turn to doctors and they just send you home with a bag of pills, or some T-gel and tell you good luck, come back in 6 months for labs. They don't care about estrogen spikes, etc.

I manage every aspect of my hormones now to a fine tune. And in the 8 months I managed it on my own, I changed myself completely. Not without some adjustments needed, but I'm finally getting there. I look at least five years younger, sleep better than I have in years, gaining hard lean muscle mass, vascular and my penis works again for the most part. I'm healthier than I have been in years.

Why should what I am doing be against laws? WHY???? It's pure nonsense. If I followed the "law" I'd be back to agind, dying, not enjoying sex, not keeping my younger hot woman, not being driven, not being as productive, etc.

Fuck that! :headbang:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner