over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

FDA recalls Hydroxycut

Dado5

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
FDA warns dieters: Stop Hydroxycut use immediately

WASHINGTON – Government health officials warned dieters and body builders Friday to immediately stop using Hydroxycut, a widely sold supplement linked to cases of serious liver damage and at least one death.

The Food and Drug Administration said the maker of the dietary supplement has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products. Available in grocery stores and pharmacies, Hydroxycut is advertised as made from natural ingredients. At least 9 million packages were sold last year, the FDA said.

Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said the agency has received 23 reports of liver problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy living in the Southwest. The teenager died in 2007, and the death was reported to the FDA this March.

Other patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver.

There was no immediate comment from the U.S. distributor of the diet pill, Iovate Health Sciences, headquartered near Buffalo, N.Y. Made by a Canadian company, Hydroxycut is used by people trying to shed pounds and by body builders to sharpen their muscles.

Dietary supplements aren't as tightly regulated by the government as medications. Manufacturers don't need to prove to the FDA that their products are safe and effective before they can sell them to consumers. But regulators monitor aftermarket reports for signs of trouble, and in recent years companies have been put under stricter requirements to alert the FDA when they learn of problems.

Katz said it has taken so long to get a handle on the Hydroxycut problem because the cases of liver damage were rare and the FDA has no authority to review supplements before they're marketed. "Part of the problem is that the FDA looks at dietary supplements from a post-market perspective, and an isolated incident is often difficult to follow," she said.

The FDA relies on voluntary reports to detect such problems, and many cases are never reported, officials acknowledge.

Health officials said they have been unable to determine which Hydroxycut ingredients are potentially toxic, partially because the formulation of the products has changed several times. A medical journal report last month raised questions about one ingredient, hydroxycitric acid, derived from a tropical fruit. The article said it could potentially damage the liver.

**broken link removed**

I guess Jay Cutler isn't going to win Olympia this year without his secret HydroxyCut Hardcore in his bag of tricks... I get MuscleTech forgot to mention that it might be bad for you in their oh so colorful advertisements.

Thanks for the post, I know a couple guys who use this. I will let them know.

First Venom Hyperdrive and now this...:mad:
People abuse fat burners, they think more is better, and if you take more pills you dont have to diet hard..
I own supplement store and you wont beleive how many people are taking this stuff over and over,, from month to month without stopping. They are addicted to it

ever since MLB banned the usage of ephedrine, FDA has been up manufactures asses trying to strictly regulate shit they shouldn't have to regulate!

Its not really the companies fault that people don't read everything printed on the label. I wish there was a way to educate the masses better but I guess it is understood now that liver damage could be a problem with this substance.

Interesting Debate

Here is a link to a scholarly "back-and-forth" over Hydroxycut:

**broken link removed**

Are you kidding me?

9 million bottles sold last year, and they have 23 cases of liver damage. WTF That's less than .001%!!!!

Multi-vitamins are gonna give hydroxycut a run for their money.

its dumb

I got a call from my mom flipping out telling me not to take hydroxycut cause people were dying from it and i was like wow thats so dumb , I can bet you anything that the people that had liver problems , didnt take the precautions , as in drinking enough water, taking the right dosage , and avoid drinking alcohol and other drugs. Im sure there has to be some sort of some abuse of some other kind , I mean come on people do Abomb cycles and seem to be fine , how the hell can hydroxycut do this. I had a friend that took it and would binge drink 4, 5 times a week , and did oxys, painkillers etc, and yeah I could say he is a good candidate for some type of interaction with the drugs and possible liver damage , but not if you take the necessary precautions when you take it.

Sooooooooooooooo?

Is that Harcore,Max for the Ladies, 7 day cleanse or haven't they said. I just downed the New Hydroxycut hardcore Grape last night not bad probably better than Redline, Abb Speed Shot all are 8oz and range between 250mg-300mg of caffiene.

Is that Harcore,Max for the Ladies, 7 day cleanse or haven't they said. I just downed the New Hydroxycut hardcore Grape last night not bad probably better than Redline, Abb Speed Shot all are 8oz and range between 250mg-300mg of caffiene.

hahah my gym just got redline, and of course, as most gyms, suckered into selling ABB products. Ive had a chance to try many. Their Speed Shot INTENSITY is really good, I feel it through my body. I was hoping zenelean on its own would provide the same rush but it i dont feel it like that which in a way is a good thing, i dont like being super jittery but damn, that purple frost speed shot intensity gets me goin.

i always thought hydroxycut was pure garbage, might as well buy no-doze pills. i doubt people are dying from it, thats some ridiculous media hype. at least they took it off the shelves so people can stop wasting their money on crap that doesnt work. they could have done it without the sensationalism though.......

9 million bottles sold last year, and they have 23 cases of liver damage. WTF That's less than .001%!!!!

Multi-vitamins are gonna give hydroxycut a run for their money.

That's the exact point I was gonna make.. It's alot lower than even .001%.. It's similar to accutane - over a 20 year period, many millions of people took the drug, and they found that 37 committed suicide.. This caused an uproar, but the funny thing is, when you take into account the total amount of people that took it, 37 suicides is below the national average.. You can group millions of people together for whichever reason you want, but a certain percentage of them is still gonna commit suicide..

So this very small percentage of people taking Hydroxcut developed severe liver problems, with I think 1 death - out of many millions of people.. Well guess what, group people together for a totally unrelated reason, and a very small percentage of them developed severe liver problems too.

First Venom Hyperdrive and now this...:mad:
People abuse fat burners, they think more is better, and if you take more pills you dont have to diet hard..
I own supplement store and you wont beleive how many people are taking this stuff over and over,, from month to month without stopping. They are addicted to it

I have seen this and it spells all sorts of problems. This is why ephedra / stacker2 got banned

Here we go again

Look for more regulations from congress concerning supplements. My guess is, sooner or later, they will try to do away with supplements or require the same process that drug manufacturers have to go through to approve new drugs. This may kill the industry and will surely kill innovation of possible new products.

Look for more regulations from congress concerning supplements. My guess is, sooner or later, they will try to do away with supplements or require the same process that drug manufacturers have to go through to approve new drugs. This may kill the industry and will surely kill innovation of possible new products.

i doubt it dude, multi vitamins alone is a 60 billion dollar industry a year for the USA. think of all the tax dollars they lose esp during this economic time.

this ones easy to figure out

I'll tell you exactly what happened with this one. Somewhere, in some town, some dumb fuck kid was using hydroxycut along with D-bols or Anadrols, drank his ass off with his friends at the same time, and then when he came down with liver problems it was Hydroxycuts fault, not the abused gear, minimum water consumption, and alcohol. It was just easier to explain to mommy that good old Hydroxycut was the culprit, not his lack of responsibility. By the time the testing was done the orals were out of his system anyways.

Muscletech is hyped overpriced garbage anyway.

maybe if I ever shit out my liver I will blame it on hydroxycut instead of the dbols

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass