over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

FEDS to subpoena 104 BB Players-want names of suppliers to prosecute

Massive G

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This is going a little too farther than far.
"Report: U.S. government may subpoena as many as 104 MLB players

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 18, 2008, 12:39 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

As many as 104 Major League Baseball players could be subpoenaed by federal investigators in connection with the BALCO steroid distribution case after the United States attorney's office obtained positive steroid test results from 2003, according to a published report.

The results, according to The New York Times, were part of the 2003 tests conducted by Major League Baseball that were intended to be anonymous. But through some deft legal maneuvering, the U.S. government seized the records from two different companies hired to provide the tests.

An anonymous source told the newspaper that the federal government plans to question all 104 players about their positive steroid tests and how they obtained whatever substance was found in their urine sample.

The potential list of suppliers named by the players would be sent to federal prosecutors around the country. The investigations that result from that information could lead to player names being revealed in court documents.

Players who tested positive for steroids may have to testify before grand juries or as witnesses in a jury trial. Their names may also be revealed in documents used to obtain search warrants or in charging documents for a specific case involving an alleged steroids distributor.

The 2003 anonymous tests came about when Major League Baseball and its players union were coming under intense public scrutiny about alleged steroid abuse in the sport. There were no planned punishments for positive tests, but if more than 5 percent of tests came back positive, then a punishment phase would kick in.

While each urine sample had a code next to it and not a name, one company hired by MLB possessed the samples while a second company had the corresponding list of names that matched up with each coded sample, according to the report.

The BALCO connection came to light when federal prosecutors in California wanted to see if 10 players who had testified in the San Francisco-area case had lied to a grand jury.

In their search for those 10 names, the U.S. Attorney's office issued a subpoena for the 2003 tests. The two testing companies -- Comprehensive Drug Testing and Quest Diagnostics -- refused to comply -- and were prepared to take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court, according to The Times.

The MLB players' union told prosecutors they intended to file a motion to quash the subpoenas. The government then moved quickly to obtain search warrants and executed them the next day, according to the newspaper.

In their search, federal investigators came upon the full list of 104 players, far more than the 10 they believed may be linked to BALCO. With the list in hand, investigators then went to the other lab and matched the codes and names with the positive test results.

The players union continues to battle the government in hopes of keeping the test results confidential. The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco ruled in January that the government acted within the law and could keep the results. The court may still rehear the case at the union's request.

Once the legal process is exhausted and if the government prevails, it may be a matter of weeks before the 104 players are contacted by federal prosecutors, according to the newspaper.

"

There's no issue of personal privacy or security the gov't went in both places and got the documents they wanted and are allowed to keep them according to a Supreme Court Ruling.
Sad that these players will be drug through the gauntlet of the press.

I think this is great! They need to let all the crack, heroin, cocaine, and other drug addicts go home and never ask them who there suppliers are around the country. ( I hope everyone knows I am being a smart ass):eek: How many more jackass officials can fit in our government.

I sure as hell hope these suppliers read this and shred any paper trails, and clean up so no charges can occur.

What these congressional assclowns don't realize is that 90% of those sources are gone dried up and new ones took their place.
The War on Drugs is a failure-just like these puffed and stuffed old relics "running" our country into the ground. I could care less about AAS and GH anymore except for anti-aging as I get into my 4th and 5th decade-but they have made it impossible.

We are the ones who elected these idiots into office and allowed them to put these laws into place. They are pissing our tax dollars away and taking our freedom from us. Remember this shit the next time you vote and if you don't like what they are doing then speak up. All elected officials work for us "the people". Don't let them forget that either.

PB

We are the ones who elected these idiots into office and allowed them to put these laws into place. They are pissing our tax dollars away and taking our freedom from us. Remember this shit the next time you vote and if you don't like what they are doing then speak up. All elected officials work for us "the people". Don't let them forget that either.

PB

Actually, We do not have much choice, it is all about money and power. That is why you only have 2 parties(that are good for shit) That is why Obama is beating Hilary. More money! We don't have much choices, look who we have to pick for a president, a bunch of Liars! The big corporations put these people in office, not us.

HE THAT HAS THE MOST GOLD RULES!

we need a congressional session called just to interrogate that legless dude running around on truck springs.

otherwise the children will never be safe.

This is why I think its funny when people say they are gonna go after the customers next. The busts happened over 6months ago, im pretty sure the customers cleaned up by now. I hope.

the demand isn't going anywhere, so the supply will always be around. all you have to do is look at other drugs and what has happened. legislation does nothing to curb demand; it only increases the risks associated with selling and using the drugs.

the suppliers of heroin, coke, weed, etc. won't stop because of the risk of supplying them. greed will always outweigh caution.

steroids will work the same way. yes, some suppliers have closed shop, but look how many pop up to take their place.

this is all bullshit posturing by the govt. there will be some casualties of course, but drugs are here to stay until the demand is gone.

I think the peculiar thing about baseball is that many people in older generations have turned it into a religion, not a sport. They become very attached to the stat numbers and history... there is a pervasive maudlin nostalgia about the game that i personally can't stand, but some people get off on. When generation RX invalidated these "sacred" records, it made the baseball worshippers question their overall impact on posterity.

the massive driving force behind this inquisition is the aging baby boom generation's fear of death.

(my apologies to all of the more venerable members who may read this... i am not lumping you into this!)

I have said it before and I will say it again...The US government wants us all weak and like sheep!

The chances of them finding the suppliers of all 104 players is prolly 0. I would imagine that any dealer to professional or minor leagure players has either closed up shop, or cleaned house so well that no charges would stick even if they were arrested. This witch hunt has now gone to levels beyond absurd. Does the general public even care about this anymore? I would venture to say no. So give it a rest already FEDS. jesus.

They are attacking baseball more, b/c it would be too bias and profiling attacking bb'ers and too many lawsuits would occur.

I really do not understand why they are attacking baseball so much. Why not the sport of Bodybuilding? How long will it be before Mr Olmpia is treated the same way as Barry Bonds? I say give it 10-20yrs. Its so stupid, the only thing I can see is its a controlled substance so they want "control" of prescribing it. But if some one is not selling and they are using it for personal use leave them alone, how are they hurting any one. Doesn't our economy need some thing attractive like Baseball right now? Home run's sell tickets, leave the athletes alone if they want to take "performance enhancing drugs" to better there performance, then more power to them. No one would even know about steroids and baseball if they didn't give so much attention to it. I'm sure guys have been juicing for 30 years in the sport and you never heard any one talking about it until the media jumped on board and put the spot light on this. They should be focusing on cleaning up the USA ghettos, finding the suppliers for drugs like meth, heroin, and crack. Those are drugs that truly ruin life's and bring the quality of this country down.

God forbid our government would use our tax dollars for something worthwhile like helping our own economy!!!

I hope the players tell the feds to go fuck themselves when they come knocking w/ questions.

Staff online

• Bio
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar