over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Feedback from military and business savvy individuals

RetiredArmy0513

Registered
I want to share with you guys my goals for next year. Please hear me out. I will be getting my degree in health and nutrition in December of this year. I will also be getting my NASM certificate around the first of the year. For those of you that deployed in sure you know lifting and exercising is HUGE while deployed. It gave me an inner peace and something to look forward to as a means to forget about all the shit you are in and doing. Anyway some of you know just I was shot and was in a MRAP rollover in which I suffered TBI and I have PTSD. It is safe to say that working out and exercising saved my life. I was on a destructive path with alcohol and drugs and I even tried a feeble attempt at killing myself by drinking myself to death. When I was in my inpatient program at the military nuthouse, they had a small weight room. I started working out again to stay sane there and pass the time. Fast forward to now. I want to give back. I want to personal train for Veterans with mental and physical disabilities. It won't be about making money because most Veterans don't have money. My dilemma is I am not he most business savvy person on the world. My first thought was to charge 100 dollars for 90 days on which I would be training these individuals in person. But if charged them 100 dollars could I not make his business a non for profit?? These are the kinds of things I am unsure about... and for my military guys... is this something that Veterans would be willing to try. I have a small sample size and I'm getting a lot of positive feedback. What constitutes a non for profit. Like I said I know I'm not going to make a lot of money, probably hardly any at all, but if I am charging 100 dolllars for 90 days do I have to incorporate it or make it an LLC? Please be respectful of your comments, I just shared something really personal and dear to my heart. So I'd you have negative comments please don't comment at all. Just trying to get some feedback and maybe some pointing in the right direction
Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2862

Currently attempting to do something along the same lines with disabled children. From my experience so far, get help and write everything down. There are grant/business proposal seminars if you're near a big city. My University offers assistance so I'm going through them.

I'm a Marine. The VA sucks horse dick. If you can find someone with a brain and not lazy thats your best bet.

Thanks for the link!! Awesome... been going to the VA for a while and had no idea they had a program like that!

I have a long-term goal of setting up a similar kind of treatment program, but using therapy dogs instead of weight training. I think that's a great idea.

Maybe also do some random keyword searches on Youtube too, such as "personal training business tips" and "non-profit small organization startup" and things like that. Good luck.

I love the idea and think it's viable if in a big enough area with plenty of vets. I clean commercial Buliding and one is a non profit. They have 7 floors of all different kinds on nonprofits from refugees to cannabis activist. I would call a lead nonprofit and ask how to move forward. Mine rents spots all the time. The big deal for you is as a nonprofit you will be tax exempt! This is huge!

You may need to be a Physical Therapist because many vets have disabilities
and will require specialized training. I am unsure of what requirements
you will need to be hired or volunteer at a VA in this profession.

A NASM or degree in Health and Fitness are nice to have but are basically
useless with the people you want to help. For example, I have a MS in Exercise Science and the skills I learned wouldn't help in this situation.

A HUGE part of training any trauma victim is being equipped to handle the
mental challenges that they face. That's tough stuff to be able to handle,
as you well know.

Since you asked that this thread be positive, I will add this:

More importantly than any degree or certification, and the thing that everybody needs to mend their physical and mental scars is developing
a strong Faith based Ministry with how to pursue a relationship with Our Creator.

Because so many vets have witnessed horrific things, their heart has
understandably become hardened to this simple Truth. So to be successful, you will need to be very comfortable sharing this into your endeavor.

Good luck J!

-MT

I appreciate everybody's feedback so far. It looks like I may have some investigating to do but I do have about a year to go to the VA and check out other avenues. When I was at the nuthouse, they had a yoga instructor come weekly, some were into it but there were Vietnam vets there as well and some had injuries that prevented from trying, but they at least went to the class to look at the instructor lol...it's something that I know I can maybe at least do something like that for something more small capacity. Sometimes the VA surprises you and actually helps you out. And MT you made a good point about physical disabilities. My guess would be I would need a Dr letter approving said person of doing exercise and what kind of limitations they have. The other thing I really didn't think through is the logistics...not sure if a bigger gym would appreciate me training a bunch of clients at the gym, although they would have to get a membership at least, I guess that is something else I'll need to look into if I get to do something down the road

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner