over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Feeder Workouts - Pumping a muscle after meals for improved nutrient uptake

ShZ

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm sure some of you've heard about Rich Piana's so-called “feeder workouts”. While I definitely don't agree with everything he had to say, I think he does have some good points with this one and tons of people swear it works.

What I'm referring to, is hitting a muscle with very light weight (less than 30% of your 1RM) for 50+ reps for a couple of sets once or twice per day, preferably after meals, in order to improve nutrient uptake and speed up recovery. Keeping in mind that only a 10 minute walk after a meal drastically improves insulin sensitivity inside the muscle cells, this could have some legitimate benefits for weak body parts, provided that all other variables like training and nutrition are on point and you're not overstimulating the trained muscles so you don't actually impede recovery.

Adding a couple iu's of insulin with a meal prior could obviously further benefit the protocol. I've been doing it for biceps and triceps lately with 3-4 sets of dumbbell curls and lying triceps extensions. I've found stretching inbetween or after the sets further enhances the pump and I have to say it does seem to work. I've gained about half an inch to my arms in less than a month while my legs basically stayed the same.

Obviously, there aren't any studies done on this topic, so everything's just anecdotal and theory, but I'm really interested in your thoughts

I think you're doing a good job and it works similarly to the now popular walks after meals - I'm thinking of implementing it myself and I'm thinking, for example, about 2-3 marches after 10 minutes after a few meals + session with weights you write about before bedtime, I think it's also would have an impact on better morning glycaemia

I think you're doing a good job and it works similarly to the now popular walks after meals - I'm thinking of implementing it myself and I'm thinking, for example, about 2-3 marches after 10 minutes after a few meals + session with weights you write about before bedtime, I think it's also would have an impact on better morning glycaemia
Yeah it makes sense, especially if you're using GH or MK-677. There's nothing better for blood sugar control than exercise. But I thought to myself, why just taking a walk and preferentially shuttle the glucose and all the other nutrients into my legs (which already are a strong body part for me) when I can shift them into my lagging body parts instead

I’m not sure I’d take advice from a guy whose muscles were filled with silicone

But Stan Efferding has made mention of post-meal walks, so I believe there’s definitely value in that

I guess you forgot what Rich looked like before he started using SEO (or silicone - what the fuck does it matter)

I guess you forgot what Rich looked like before he started using SEO (or silicone - what the fuck does it matter)

True, he did used to look fantastic

But some rather strange ideas haven been attributed to him - including an 8 hour arm workout that will supposedly add an inch to your arm

I don't see it hurting. While carbing up for a show we pose after each meal. The concept here is still the same although in a slightly different context.

True, he did used to look fantastic

But some rather strange ideas haven been attributed to him - including an 8 hour arm workout that will supposedly add an inch to your arm
Yeah that's BS. The feeder workouts are probably the only good advice he was giving

It may also help with joint pain or nagging injuries. Not just increasing blood flow to the muscles but also to bones, ligaments and tendons. From my experience, doing higher rep training with light load, sore joints seemed to heal a lot faster than not training them at all. Anyone else experienced this before?

It may also help with joint pain or nagging injuries. Not just increasing blood flow to the muscles but also to bones, ligaments and tendons. From my experience, doing higher rep training with light load, sore joints seemed to heal a lot faster than not training them at all. Anyone else experienced this before?
Yes - I once saw a study where if I'm not mistaken 30% of maximum load was used for very high reps (something like 50+ even up to 100 reps) and it had an effect on hypertrophy and strengthening of tissues like tendons and ligaments

Interesting you mentioned hypertrophy as well since the research I'm aware suggests that anything below 30% of your 1RM seems to be suboptimal.

I'm wondering if there's still more to it than just nutrient partitioning. The relationship between muscle growth and metabolite training aka the pump is still not very well researched and understood. I see why it may not be practical to perform hundreds of reps for an exercise but the recovery time is minimal. Since you're not causing excessive damage and your joints aren't loaded with heavy weights, your volume could be a lot higher than with traditional training. You can work a given muscle daily if not multiple times per day and get a new stimulus with an increase in protein synthesis and growth factors each time you train.

I wouldn't necessarily do it for bigger body parts like legs or back though, but for smaller muscles, where your limiting factor isn't the cardiovascular system, it could be a great way to increase someone's training volume without demanding long recovery times. And as the research shows, more volume means more growth, as long as you can recover.

Never tried this before doesn't seem like there are any downsides. I did do fst 7 when it was popular but didn't see anything special.

Never tried this before doesn't seem like there are any downsides. I did do fst 7 when it was popular but didn't see anything special.
I haven't tried FST-7 but as far as I know it's an intense form of super-set training to maximize the pump during a workout, nothing you'd do for a given muscle on a daily basis. I haven't seen any potential benefits with this technique myself as I get a great pump just as well as without. I might argue, doing the feeder workouts as outlined above, gives me the same if not even a better pump in 5 minutes than during an entire workout that lasts over an hour. I feel like after a couple of good sets, the pump reaches a peak after which it doesn't get further pronounced and eventually diminishes with further sets

Several months ago I did bi's and tri's together which I don't normally do. I'm usually 8 to 15 reps but I did cable curls for 50 reps and tricep pushdowns for 50 reps. I was in hell..LOL! Either direction my arm went, it cramped. I took Magnesium Citrate which helped.

Rich did the feeder workouts every night before bed for arms or delts. His theory was if get enough blood and pump going it will help with recovery and also stretches the fibers with the pump. He said if any thing he has said before this is the one thing he wants everyone to try it works

Several months ago I did bi's and tri's together which I don't normally do. I'm usually 8 to 15 reps but I did cable curls for 50 reps and tricep pushdowns for 50 reps. I was in hell..LOL! Either direction my arm went, it cramped. I took Magnesium Citrate which helped.
Yeah the pumps from repetitions that high are insane. I'm on Test, Superdrol and MK-677 right now and my arms feel like they're going to explode each time. Never had problems with cramping though. I make sure I'm well hydrated and get enough minerals through my diet. I've found fruits to be very helpful in this regard. IMO they are just as important as you're complex carbohydrate sources and often neglected in bodybuilding diets

Such workouts have been around for years to some degree with different spins. Robert Kennedy had his. if anything i would think any extra growth would just be from more volume of work in a weeks time. As muscle grows very slowly and the amount of blood isn't in there for all that long i doubt the nourishment is the reason for any real growth long term. I can see an increased size shorter term from the extra added inflammation to the muscle.

Such workouts have been around for years to some degree with different spins. Robert Kennedy had his. if anything i would think any extra growth would just be from more volume of work in a weeks time. As muscle grows very slowly and the amount of blood isn't in there for all that long i doubt the nourishment is the reason for any real growth long term. I can see an increased size shorter term from the extra added inflammation to the muscle.
This is what I would think, extra growth coming from just more volume. But he says 30 percent of 1 ROM, I'd wonder is that even heavy enough to count as extra volume? I guess if they do 50 reps and that is eventually close enough to failure it is stimulus for growth?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear