over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Feeding window for intermittent fasting

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For those of you that do IF or know a lot about the science behind it I was wondering if there is any significance to the 4-6 hrs that you eat?

It seems like everyone I see has their feeding window set up so that their last meal falls at the end of the day closer to bed so they are eating from say 2pm-8pm. I’ve been trying IF on the weekends but the issue I’m having is that I have to wait at least 4 hrs after eating before I can go to bed (ulcer issues) so I’ve set up my eat time from 9am to 3pm which works out good because I train at 4:30-5:00 in the afternoon.

I’m not in a position where I’m trying to grow at all , just dieting down for summer , taking 400mg primobolan on top of my prescription TRT and 2iu HGH Twice a day so I don’t think I’m at risk to lose much if any muscle.

That main question is , is there any significant issue with not eating after training , and would this eating window compromise anything as far as health or fat loss goes?

For those of you that do IF or know a lot about the science behind it I was wondering if there is any significance to the 4-6 hrs that you eat?

It seems like everyone I see has their feeding window set up so that their last meal falls at the end of the day closer to bed so they are eating from say 2pm-8pm. I’ve been trying IF on the weekends but the issue I’m having is that I have to wait at least 4 hrs after eating before I can go to bed (ulcer issues) so I’ve set up my eat time from 9am to 3pm which works out good because I train at 4:30-5:00 in the afternoon.

I’m not in a position where I’m trying to grow at all , just dieting down for summer , taking 400mg primobolan on top of my prescription TRT and 2iu HGH Twice a day so I don’t think I’m at risk to lose much if any muscle.

That main question is , is there any significant issue with not eating after training , and would this eating window compromise anything as far as health or fat loss goes?

The simple answer is no.
I've found that the feeding window doesn't make much difference as long as appropriate protein amounts and calories are maintained for the goal in mind.

My fasts are 14-22hrs just depending on the day, schedule, overall feeling, etc. I almost never eat pre or post training and my muscle loss is nil on TRT doses(caveat..I've been carrying around 210-225 for over a decade so my body maintains weight setpoint very well). I too, am not looking to put on appreciable amounts. I'm also full keto(70% fat, 20-30% protein, 0-10% carb).

Health and longevity wise, my blood work, especially with respects to inflammatory markers greatly improved with this method of eating. I'm sure consistent deficits are also to be pointed to as well, though

In the end of it, if you do start to notice muscle loss, which you wouldn't loose much before noticing, you could always supplement some EAA's around training to increase synthesis/inhibit breakdown. Small, temporary decreases in strength are to be expected but I found those to come back after a short period of time.

I'm fairly well read and experienced with IF. I've tried doing that layout but with my body, I'm not really hungry before I lift in the day and usually am starving after so I had a hard time just because I was hungry and did better lifting fasted and eating after.

But if hunger is not an issue, you'll be fine. The guy who really popularized IF for lifters, Mark Berkhan (the guy behind the leangains site) advocates that approach as well.

Not ideal for maximizing muscle gain (well no IF approach really), but you did say that's not your goal either so I think you'll be fine.

Holy shit.. I can't even imagine training at 5pm and not eating until 9 the next morning. Fuck that! I'd be starving all night long trying to sleep.

Holy shit.. I can't even imagine training at 5pm and not eating until 9 the next morning. Fuck that! I'd be starving all night long trying to sleep.

Man I know exactly where you are coming from. Even when I was in the corps and 165 lbs in full BDU - I couldn’t make it though the night without waking up with pangs.
BUT - my wife is an IF nazi and so I said f it and tried it. It does get better...

Don't worry about the anabolic window bologna which has been overstated for years. Sure its "ideal" peri workout nutrition but no way in God's name is it absolutely needed.

My intermittent fasting routine is as follows:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday I do 18:6. 12 noon and around 5/5:30pm are my only 2 meals.

Wednesday and Saturday I do a 24 hour fast and just eat once at dinner.

I train at 8am. So yes my "post workout" meal rather far away from my training

I also throw in a 48-hour fast from time to time depending on my mood and what's going on

Also I dont eat carbs...I'm keto but moreso carnivore lately.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I always did 2p-8p. Bed around 9:30 but I trained at 4. Sorry I’m zero help. Could you not do one meal PWO of 1/2 whey/casein?

why do u want to do it? if it's just as a way to lean out, just eat less. u wanna improve health markers maybe it can work but in the end its just another way to cut calories and that's THE only way to lose weight/fat. as far as body recomp goes, cals in v cals out. the end. all this carbs make u fat, insulin, blah blah, is bullshit. too many potato, pizza, fast food, and twinkie diets have proven that over and over. and over.
i get it that people need some plan to follow tho.

why do u want to do it? if it's just as a way to lean out, just eat less. u wanna improve health markers maybe it can work but in the end its just another way to cut calories and that's THE only way to lose weight/fat. as far as body recomp goes, cals in v cals out. the end. all this carbs make u fat, insulin, blah blah, is bullshit. too many potato, pizza, fast food, and twinkie diets have proven that over and over. and over.
i get it that people need some plan to follow tho.

Mostly due to stomach issues I have and not being able to eat for 4hs before bed (5-6 is better) , having to wake at 3:45 every day forces me to get to bed by 10 at the latest. I train at 5pm so by the time I get home and eat it's 7:00-7:30 and if I go to bed at 9:30-10:00 I'm up all night with stomach issues so being able to not worry about eat after training makes life way easier and I can go to bed even earlier.

I've got a good handle on what it take to diet for growning as well as the stage. Just trying to make.lufe easier.

I usually just keep a 6 hour window depending on when I wake up. eat 4 times in those 6 hours and thats a wrap.

I will be honest although I don't compete and have no idea if it would effect getting below 8% as I've never really tried to go lower.

When I'm leaning down, I make sure I have EAA's, and HBCD....maybe even a little Hydrolyzed whey through my workout.

But after that.....I honestly let my appetite dictate when I eat. I have a set amount of Macros and calories for the day.....and my only rule is that I don't go over that total averaged for the week.

Somedays I will end up under.....and somedays I will go over....not by huge amounts.....But my daily average for the week is no higher than my daily allotment.

But like you, I'm up early. I'm at the gym by 4:00am. But depending on how work is when I get there....and my appetite....I may have a meal within an hour of working out....or it may be 5 hours later.

But most importantly, I don't see a dramatic change in my gym logbook unless I'm putting together days of not hitting close to my macros. At that point I will make sure I'm getting more calories in.....but it usually takes a week or so of eating far under my average to notice.

I loose fat fairly easy that way. But like I said....getting into contest shape is something I have never tried. At a true 8%.....I'm leaner than most in my gym anyway....aside from the ones who are struggling to get lower....or those who aren't really carrying a lot of muscle for their frame.

And I'm constantly trying to push my log book even when in a calorie deficit!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

My question is, if you're intermittent fasting, can you still grow muscle if you're still meeting your caloric needs?

I mean, how many BBers, or people who are looking to put on quality size actually do this time restricted eating with success?

My question is, if you're intermittent fasting, can you still grow muscle if you're still meeting your caloric needs?

I mean, how many BBers, or people who are looking to put on quality size actually do this time restricted eating with success?

yes, as long as you can fit in your daily required amount of kcal you will grow muscles.
I am just 195lbs soi dont need much food and typically eat from 6pm till 8:30pm, so short window. it is no problem to get 2k-3k from quality food in this time frame for me.
for big dudes (230++) i guess it will be harder to cram in 4-5k kcal in such a short window. I guess thats the reason most big guys at several times a day.
me for myself, i have not realized a difference in muscle building going from 6 meals to 1-2 if macros are nearly identical

Most of the studies and evidence based rationale can be found at www.leangains.com

I personally don’t think I could take in the food and assimilate it all in a 4-6 hr feeding window , I could certainly get in the calories but it would be from shitty food not muscle building nutrition.

I know that there are several IFBB pros that have done intermittent fasting for a significant period of time , I don’t think any of them built and noticeable amount of muscle but they didn’t lose any either “b-boy” here is one of them.

I train (not weight lifting) with a several SOF guys from NSWG that do a 18hr fast and 6hr feeding window and are reasonably sized guys (6’1” 220lb range) with single digit body fat they eat 3 meals a day and some days do more physical training than most bodybuilder do in a week. They all prefer this lifestyle and say that it’s only had positive impact on their physical abilities

I train (not weight lifting) with a several SOF guys from NSWG that do a 18hr fast and 6hr feeding window and are reasonably sized guys (6’1” 220lb range) with single digit body fat they eat 3 meals a day and some days do more physical training than most bodybuilder do in a week. They all prefer this lifestyle and say that it’s only had positive impact on their physical abilities

It def makes perfect sense for those dudes as they need to be strong enough to throe a 200lbs dude over their shoulder while retaining the ability to run 18min 3 mile times, swimming, etc.

I'm 6'3" @ 220lbs at the moment and the goal is to reach a lean 230lbs and hold there. Guess I'll give this a go for the next 6 months and see what my body does.

I don't see it as the most stomach healthy way of eating. Since the meals are larger would they not aggravate the ulcers more?
Personally if I don't spread the meals out I get bad heartburn so I tend to stick with the 16/8.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws