over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Feet Placement For Squats

jtcraig3

Registered
Just curious. I was always taught that feet should be about shoulder width apart, and toes should be straight ahead. Go all the way down, ass to ankles.

But I see a lot of people, pros even, that have a wider stance and their toes flair outwards. I always found it easier to squat that way, so I never did...considered it "cheating."

I also do "sumo squats" with legs wide as possible and toes flared out as much as possible, to really focus on hams and glutes, but that's for a completely different day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you will see if you have a wide stance with your toes pointed straight forward is your tracking will be off. Meaning you will stress the ankles because your knees will want to track with the direction of your toes which would be to the inside of your squat stance. Point the toes out and track the knees directly in line with the toes and you will not place horizontal stress on the ankles. Yes your wide stance will hit the hamstrings more.

Now for a standard squat there are variations. To point the toes straight forward you can take a narrow (neutral) stance and everything will line up. But for anything wider than that the toes should go out.

Another common mistake I see that makes me cringe is not keep your feet flat on the ground. You should be in either a lifting shoe, barefoot, or a shoe that is completely flat on the bottom similar to converse. Do not wear running shoes or anything with a sole that has any give to it. This will allow you to evenly distribute the weight on to your feet. You absolutely DO NOT at any point want to lean forward on to your toes or back onto your heels. You should have a solid foot flat on the floor through the entire lift.

Last edited:
ill tell you this....sumo style squats has to be the worse
thing for your knees and hips....

you wont last very long doing those...

and you've answered your question, the best way to perform
the squat is what is most comfortable....

:lightbulb: smith machine makes it impossible to lean
forward out of the hole..

:cool:

ill tell you this....sumo style squats has to be the worse
thing for your knees and hips....

you wont last very long doing those...

and you've answered your question, the best way to perform
the squat is what is most comfortable....

:lightbulb: smith machine makes it impossible to lean
forward out of the hole..

:cool:

x2

Expect to meet and greet hip snapping syndrome with sumo squats if you continue to do them. If you are a bodybuilder and want bigger quads do QUAD DOMINANT squat. Sumo style is about moving loads of wt from point a to point b.

squat motion = mother nature = squat what is most comfortable as Lenny said

U will have a happy squatting journey this way and minimise issues. all the best

Personally, I don't put me feet much wider that shoulder width unless I'm squatting for powerlifting. Like others have said, if you put your feet too wide, it can cause some stress on the hips and ankles.

Do whatever feels most comfortable, allows you to lift the most weight and targets the muscle best.

What ever is comfortable is the way to go! I personally have feet just slightly of where my hips fall and toes pointed at a slight angel.

Just curious. I was always taught that feet should be about shoulder width apart, and toes should be straight ahead. Go all the way down, ass to ankles.

But I see a lot of people, pros even, that have a wider stance and their toes flair outwards. I always found it easier to squat that way, so I never did...considered it "cheating."

I also do "sumo squats" with legs wide as possible and toes flared out as much as possible, to really focus on hams and glutes, but that's for a completely different day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Mark Ripptoe. Look him up on YouTube. Thank me later.

Feet shoulder width and toes straight would be incorrect because the shoulders are wider than the hips. NEUTRAL/feet where they naturally would be placed which would be directly under the hip joint is when it would be OK to have toes pointed straight. Anything wider than that you should angle your foot more according to the width of your stance. This allows your knee to properly track over your foot and avoid too much lateral flexion in the ankles which also puts more stress on the knees.

Just imagine what it would be like taking a super wide stance but pointing your toes straight forward. Extreme lateral pressure on the ankles and knees! That's what your are doing to yourself with your toes straight at anything wider than a neutral stance, just to a lesser degree.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity