over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Figure girls and anabolics?

pumpputnam

IFBB PRO / Featured Member
IFBB PROS
I just noticed a thread where a figure athlete was wondering about drug dosages and stated that they have used stuff. Let me go on the record to state that BY NO MEANS AM I JUDGEING ANYBODY! I hope this thread helps stir up some talk and educates those who may need it.

Here is what I wish to say. After speaking to three of the highest respected NPC and IFBB officials(names not needed) Jess and I have a clear understanding on how they are trying to judge and where they desire the sport to go. "The category(figure) is designed to recognize BEAUTY combined with physique rather than overly muscular bodies". This comes straight from the IFBB rules. Notice beauty comes first. Some people may disagree but this is the way it is. Looks are very important. Each judge stated this. Often they look at the face first. The point here is that your face can't show signs of anabolic abuse(use). We were told by the head judge at the Pittsburgh Pro that if they can tell and or see apparent drug use then you should be looked past. I know some of you may disagree and say look at the pros, that they are harder. I brought this up and I was told that this is about to change. They can only change the sport if they put through girls who are softer yet toned. They want a beautiful face and shape. It is figure. That means broad shoulders, small waist, and shapely, flowing legs. It means the old girls on the top will get the boot by the new girls coming up.

In closing, stay off the juice if you want to excell in figure. I see these girls that have such great bodies who are busting their butt's off but yet will never place well at national level shows. Even worse are the girls that use to bodybuild and then for what ever reason they get this itch to compete in figure. It ain't going to happen. Don't bust your tush if you know the judges aren't going to reward your look. And for you girls that have used and done fairly well... stop before you cross over. The judges are looking for all the physical signs. I was told that the they like Jessica's look because she is softer and her face could be desired outside the sport. They said we can tell she has never used anything and that will be her strength in time. So yes, the judges are aware that top figure pros are using and they don't wish for this.

I am just telling you want I have been told. If you have any other questions feel free to ask Jess or I. I have so much more I could say here. If there is any official out there that wishes to correct me and or add to this please do.

Last edited:
How would this compare to "fitness?" - just wondering

Well..

I DO agree with the direction that the figure catagory is headed in the sport.
I would have to admit that although we would like the figure competitors to all be equal in the dedication to the sport and competing on a "level playing field", I just don't think it will ever happen.
Even if the figure became drug tested there are still ways to pass that.
I know my good friend shelby (who Jess has competed against and knows) gets very upset to see some of the figure girls that she competes against that are suspected drug users maybe place better than what is laid out in the criteria for judging the figure category.
I hope all continues to go well for you Peter and Jess.

Mike, he's not suggesting any drug testing or leveling of the playing field.

Women can use drugs and show no signs of virilization. What Peter is saying is they need not take it overboard to the point where Judges can SEE it is apparent. I know quite a few women who've used that you would never know it. So obviously it can be done and is being done.

It is now becoming quite apparent that there are many fitness users/abusers though, and they are what Peter is talking about. And by all means they should stray away from it.

I guess I need to clarify my question.

"Fitness" being a category of womens competition, not a condition one is trying to achive. Fitness was the predecessor to the Figure category. You see fitness competitiors that could've won bb'ing contest years ago and womens bb'rs that could've won "mens" contests years ago :eek:

It seems that Fitness competitions are being rapidly replaced with Figure. While "I" believe a nice face is important on a woman Fitness or Figure competitor, I didn't think it was a prerequisite for Fitness as I'm hearing pump say it'll be for Figure.

The real "shame" to this new trend/requirement (how "beautiful" you look) is the important thing in winning, which you CANNOT improve through better nutrition or working out - it really is "genetics"/how pretty you are. Beauty contests are nice but I don't believe are necessary to be associated with bodybuilding/fitness contests - things that you have control over improving/changing.

xcelbeyond said:
Beauty contests are nice but I don't believe are necessary to be associated with bodybuilding/fitness contests - things that you have control over improving/changing.

My thoughts exactly. A Figure contest is not supposed (at least wasn't when originally launched) to be another "Miss Universe". A gal with an ugly face but showing a lot of work on her body should be allowed to win.
Well... she mustn't be too ugly :p

Phidias said:
My thoughts exactly. A Figure contest is not supposed (at least wasn't when originally launched) to be another "Miss Universe". A gal with an ugly face but showing a lot of work on her body should be allowed to win.
Well... she mustn't be too ugly :p

It is a physique competition, so the girls look nothing like a "Miss Universe" comp. Figure girls are more toned, and shapely. But note as mentioned earlier that beauty is a key factor. They truly want our sport to be respected to a broader audience. I know some hard core nuts would rather keep it unique and in the closet. I feel it is about balance and that is what they are trying to do. To clarify, I think it is safe to say it isn't all about the face or the athlete being georgous or not. Looks help in anything in life, let's face it. Even in bodybuilding, those often with better looks tend to receive more exposure because their image is received better. In closing the issue is not having a masculine face from anabolics. Sure some people can't help the way they look, but let's be real... pretty people get ahead in life. You can see it every where. You don't have to be drop dead beautiful in the face to win, you just shouldn't look like a man.

Last edited:
I DON'T THINK SO

I JUST RECENTLY ATTENDED A FEMALE FIGURE COMPITITION AND I THINK THAT SOME GIRLS GET A BUM RAP ABOUT BIENG JUICED UP FOR INSTANCE THIER ARE WEMAN WITH DIFFERENT VERY MUSCULAR BUILD BODY TYPES.
YOU ARE 100% CORRECT WHEN YOU SAY THE JUDGES OFTEN TOSS THEM OFF AS BIENG JUICED UP.
HERE AGAIN THEY GAVE IT TO THE SKINIEST OF ALL OF THE GIRLS WHICH WAS A LITTLE DISAPOINTING WHEN TO ME IT LOOKED LIKE SHE SPENDS LITTLE TIME HITTING THE WEIGHTS SINCE SHE WAS NOT OVER ALL BUILT.
IT TAKES ALOT OF HARD WORK TO HAVE MUSCLES, WE ALL KNOW THAT.

xcelbeyond said:
I guess I need to clarify my question.

"Fitness" being a category of womens competition, not a condition one is trying to achive. Fitness was the predecessor to the Figure category. You see fitness competitiors that could've won bb'ing contest years ago and womens bb'rs that could've won "mens" contests years ago :eek:

It seems that Fitness competitions are being rapidly replaced with Figure. While "I" believe a nice face is important on a woman Fitness or Figure competitor, I didn't think it was a prerequisite for Fitness as I'm hearing pump say it'll be for Figure.

The real "shame" to this new trend/requirement (how "beautiful" you look) is the important thing in winning, which you CANNOT improve through better nutrition or working out - it really is "genetics"/how pretty you are. Beauty contests are nice but I don't believe are necessary to be associated with bodybuilding/fitness contests - things that you have control over improving/changing.

Bump this.

Kaiser said:
Bump this.
So there's fitness, figure, and female BBing right?
I guess I'm curious if you guys think these comps are turning into beauty pageants? I guess what I'm saying is that the woman's face has nothing to do (or maybe it does?) with her level of fitness or her figure. Where does the line cross from figure to say, a beauty pageant? I hear the above where women training hardcore only to lose to some girl who drinks a slim fast for lunch and never uses the gym in her life. Obviously you don't want women to suffer the effects of virilization due to AAS (even women don't want this) but I've seen even totally natural girls in the gym who train hard, take no drugs, but still begin to take on some of those traits. You guys notice that? One of my ex's, Lori, started training and one day she came home from the gym and I was on the couch and I looked up and her arms were so big in that tank top, I said "Holy shit, Conan!" I remember feeling terrible because I really told her that she had enough size and was starting to look man-ish. What an A-hole right? Well she went back to cardio, her arms and legs shrunk up, we broke up and that was that. This girl just liked to be strong and I was such a jerk and after that, I made up my mind, whatever they want, just like us guys, they can do it.

Still more questions because I've been wondering about these things for a long time. For men, does hair, face, skin, etc. play any role in the way he's judged? I mean if the judges see huge zits all over a guys back what happens? I look at old photos of Sergio Olivia and then see some of the massive, large wasted guys today. I wonder sometimes if it's progress. Seems these guys had a longer shelf-life too.

At what point do you drop the "sheer size" mentality in favor of aesthetics? Not that it would have to be some abercrombie, underwear model fiasco. Certainly for men and women both there's a middle ground found somewhere between the two extremes.

i'm glad figure is taking over for women. women's bodybuilding is about dead. people say figure is nothing but having a pretty face but i beg to differ. the one's who put in the hard work in the gym and the tough diets do come out on top; if they don't look like men! i say it's easy to come in lean, hard, dry and vascular (drugs). try to come in lean with no veins showing and not to overly dry and have some softness. especially in the face. that is tough to do and i like the proticol. keeps the drugs out of it for the most part which is great. putnam is dead on with this. all these bodybuilding shows will have winners with the best genetics....so will figure. if you can't hang...jump down. :rolleyes:

oh, some say monica was robbed at the arnold and mary should not have won....think about what i just wrote above!

nandro said:
i'm glad figure is taking over for women. women's bodybuilding is about dead. people say figure is nothing but having a pretty face but i beg to differ. the one's who put in the hard work in the gym and the tough diets do come out on top; if they don't look like men! i say it's easy to come in lean, hard, dry and vascular (drugs). try to come in lean with no veins showing and not to overly dry and have some softness. especially in the face. that is tough to do and i like the proticol. keeps the drugs out of it for the most part which is great. putnam is dead on with this. all these bodybuilding shows will have winners with the best genetics....so will figure. if you can't hang...jump down. :rolleyes:

oh, some say monica was robbed at the arnold and mary should not have won....think about what i just wrote above!
I know the guy who lined up Mary's diet and he swears she is drug free. Not a single winny tab, not one tab of clen. She refused. Just for some perspective fellas.

yup, no drugs...none, nada. there's pics of her before she ever lifted a weight back in college and she had the same musculature then. i think she said chad n did her last diet.

Dammit!

I saw this thread and thought "Hey, I love figure girls AND anabolics. I have to check this out."

Boy was I dissapointed. :eek:

;) :p

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear