advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Figuring out what to do when size gains stop?

rp2100

Registered
So you've reached a plateau in body weight. It's not too hard to maintain that setpoint, but you're not having any luck putting on additional muscle. How do you figure out what you need to change?

As I see it, there's 3 things that we can change: diet, training, and drugs.

We all know that you can put on weight by eating more. But we don't just want to put on weight, we want to put on muscle. My "theory" is that if the body wants to put on muscle, it will. For example, a boy in puberty or a guy on his first cycle will put on muscle even if he isn't training or eating to support muscle growth. The body wants to gain muscle so it does its best to make this happen using the calories and protein that it's receiving. It's kind of like how if you diet like a dumbass and crash your metabolism, your body will do everything it can to hold onto its fat stores even though your calories are extremely low. Conversely, if the body doesn't want to gain muscle but you eat more than maintenance calories, the body will store those extra calories as fat, not muscle.

Back to the question, how do you know what's holding back additional muscle gains? How can you tell if your body wants to gain muscle (because of your training and drugs) but simply needs more calories to do so? How do you know if your diet is fine but you need to create a stronger impetus for muscle growth through training? Or maybe your current drug use isn't enough to support further muscle growth? (As they say, you're only as big as your dose.)

I'm sure there's no definitive way to tell what's holding you back, and maybe the best way to proceed is through trial and error: change one variable, see what happens, and then reassess. Still, it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts and experiences.

Usually I would say it's the diet and training to change first
Ask yourself how long you been training a certain way ? If more than 10 to 15 weeks switch it up
Also how supportive is your diet to your training.... Are you doing something silly like high volume and high intensity with a low carb diet ? Mhmmm
That's my simple thoughts

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

Id slightly up calories first and see ff I can squeeze out a few more reps or lbs on my big lifts with the extra food. If you get fatter but not stronger you've probably reached the limit for your dose. Id also be focusing on insulin sensitivity

Myostatin levels in many cases

Try low volume training.

Try low dose cruising to resensitize.

Usually when gains stop for me i either add in a oral like d bol are androl are up my dosages. Also, try switching up your work out routine.. Try different exercises more reps less weight, lless reps more weight.. Keep the body guessing!

Id slightly up calories first and see ff I can squeeze out a few more reps or lbs on my big lifts with the extra food. If you get fatter but not stronger you've probably reached the limit for your dose. Id also be focusing on insulin sensitivity

Try low volume training.

Try low dose cruising to resensitize.

x2. I would use both ways at different times depending upon current factors.

I didn't read everyone else's post jus the original so sorry if this was already said. But I truly think the only way is to continuously experiment and keep changing variables. But its best to keep a journal. Somen of the beatable like Yates kept journals of everything from diet to training to drug protocols. Only thing ish gotta be completely honest with urself or if u have the option have a partner whose brutally honest and hives u the stra ok get up truth

Eat more protein, keep carbs fairly reasonable, take rest days, smash fucking weights. Repeat.

If it's not working for you then try different combinations of those 3 things. Find balance. Have fun. It's your road to travel experience is the best way to learn!!

I keep all variables fixed and change one at a time to see any results.

I found:

Fixing a variable (either training, drugs, food)
* Increased training volume/intensity, but kept drugs and food the same. No progress.
* Increased food, but kept drugs and training the same. Just got fatter.
* Increased drugs, but kept food and training the same. Depends, but I usually got bigger to a point of utliising the amount of food.

The only thing that I found to make any noticeable progress was
* Increased Norditropin / Saizen + Increased Insulin 100iu+/day.... big increase in muscle size
* Increased testosterone with HGH in blood + Insulin.... big increase in muscle size, which of course resulted in more food in take
* Increase Trenbolone.... big increase in quality of muscle but not much in raw weight gain

Though as mentioned, I had to fix all variables an change things one by one.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Try low volume training.

Are you assuming that my training is currently high volume and so you're suggesting that I change it up and try low volume? Or is there a specific reason why you suggested low volume?

Are you assuming that my training is currently high volume and so you're suggesting that I change it up and try low volume? Or is there a specific reason why you suggested low volume?

It's just a guess, but there is very little chance you are actually undertraining. Overtraining is just too common. Now much overtraining is probably the result of poor recovery (nutrition, etc), but even if you assume that is in check, there are many other factors that could lead to overtraining.

But ultimately, my advice is just from personal experience, when my gains stopped for a long period of time in my early 20s, I adopted HIT training, and experienced explosive growth over the next couple years.

It's just a guess, but there is very little chance you are actually undertraining. Overtraining is just too common. Now much overtraining is probably the result of poor recovery (nutrition, etc), but even if you assume that is in check, there are many other factors that could lead to overtraining.

But ultimately, my advice is just from personal experience, when my gains stopped for a long period of time in my early 20s, I adopted HIT training, and experienced explosive growth over the next couple years.

X2. Great post. I myself have experienced a lack of growth that I attributed to under eating/resting or too low a dose.

Was convinced my diet and training was on point because I was eating a lot of clean food and training with a great intensity.

Only problem was I had came off a contest diet and continued my "rebound" phase by keeping in cardio everyday and doing superset upon superset to keep my heart rate as elevated throughout my workout as possible.

Once I convinced myself to lower my cardio to 3x a week and weights to 4x with no supersets or giant sets (am a sucker for throwing them in anytime I can), I noticed my recovery and fullness take a big jump from before. Managed to ride out a few more weeks of successful bulking before cruising.

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner