over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

FLEX Magazine To Stop Being Published April 2018

chainheart

Kilo Klub Member
this is my monthly world news post. FLEX Magazine is going to stop being published after 35 years. it will no longer be on your grocery magazine rack, the final edition will be next month - April 2018.

over the years i would subscribe from discountmags.com and other sites that would give those $3.99 and $4.99 insane deals. how could you pass that up for a magazine that gave you headlines that were written two and three months in advance. nothing like Jerry Brainum's Applied Metabolics or even Muscular Development, but it will be missed. sad but true story.

Industry News: FLEX Magazine to cease publication after April 2018

This is sad. I had read years of Flex cover to cover growing up. I guess the kids are going to have to rely on YouTube and Boston Lloyd to learn about how to bodybuild from now on.

When I was a kid every Sunday my family had a big Italian dinner and after we would go for a walk ....get ice cream [ not in winter ] , and then go to the book store .........At 10 ....I remember asking my dad to buy me a comic book ......he said , " Son , you are getting old to be reading comic books .....why do you look at something that is real ? " and he handed me a Muscle and fitness [ which I still have ] and I was hooked .......I still have a collection of thousands of magazines and buy old back issues here and there ......The mags were always fun to me and I couldn't wait to the issues hit the stands .......Flex was awesome in the mid 90s ....cheezy and full of shit ......lol ....but it was cool all the same ........I still have subscriptions to the mags that are left today and man they are just awful ......just not the same at all .....and all the Photoshop bs is just stupid .......I will miss Flex .....I think Muscle and fitness ....and MD are all that is left now ........I still go back and look at Issues of mags I collected from the 70s and 80s to this day .....it 's is funny I always find something that is insightful or to try when i do .

Sad because of what it is but I agree Flex is awful these days. Its the same stuff printed over and over. They even use the same pics many times as well. I used to buy it every month and enjoy it but now just get it when I am flying. Actually half the time I don't bother and opt for things like rikudo or sudoku. Most of the time I end up looking at the pics and scan over a few articles but get nothing from it. It's a shame it will be gone though but no surprise they weren't selling enough to keep it going.

Sad because of what it is but I agree Flex is awful these days. Its the same stuff printed over and over. They even use the same pics many times as well. I used to buy it every month and enjoy it but now just get it when I am flying. Actually half the time I don't bother and opt for things like rikudo or sudoku. Most of the time I end up looking at the pics and scan over a few articles but get nothing from it. It's a shame it will be gone though but no surprise they weren't selling enough to keep it going.

I noticed that also. But a sad time though.

There is something about holding a magazine you just can't get from online publications. I had a subscription to musclemag international during the late 80's all thru the 90's. I couldn't wait for the mailman to deliver it every month.

I still go back and look at Issues of mags I collected from the 70s and 80s to this day .....it 's is funny I always find something that is insightful or to try when i do .

Ain't that the truth!!! :)

And I can almost say with certainty I wouldn't have kept working out after all those years now hadn't my passion been built by reading mags when I was a teenager... I would literally spend night after night looking for routines and diet advice, thinking to myself "One day I'll be the one pictured inside"... haha... :p

Honestly, I don't see how kids these days can build the same kind of passion behind a screen... I agree with DetroitDawg, there's really something special about a book or mag (well, paper) that just can't be duplicated numerically.

Or maybe it's just that I'm getting old... :eek::p

It sounds like they don’t spend money on decent writers and are too cheap to fly to where the freaks are to get good photos.

When will muscular development be out of print. It’s been a fraction of its original size for years and believe been reduced to print less than 12x year.

Times have changed. Very small market for it.

This will eventually happen for mainstream news, they are already not reporting actual news. Even though that's been going on for quite some time.

Crazy the level even once great outlets like YouTube are censoring and banning the content that they don't want you to see.

For example I watch Jordan Peterson religiously among others, but he's rarely to never the first suggestion on my feed in addition to Youtube not monetizing their videos. Yet if I watch one left leaning video(because I watch both) my feed will be nothing but SJW extreme left BS.

Algorithms of peace. :eek:

Last edited:
When will muscular development be out of print. It’s been a fraction of its original size for years and believe been reduced to print less than 12x year.

They could possibly save face if they would focus 100% into wed based, get some good writers in, have a solid youtube channel, and actually pay their employees.

Ron is not a personable or likeable guy imo. Not saying he needs to lose his job because I don't personally know him, but get a different face for the company/interviewing and someone people actually like rather than running off anyone of value they once had.

Imagine if someone like Kevin Levrone were to take over lol, or even a Jose Raymond.

Last edited:
Wilbur shit in the shower again

i used last month's magazine issue to chop it up, and it went down the drain alright.

i used to have a ton of old flex,musclemag, ironman, and muscular development magazines i wish i still had them for the nostalgic purpose now.

So is it going to be an online mag or is it just dead?

That's a sad sign of the times. Back in the 80's and early 90's, the muscle mags were all we had to inspire us. So many great memories of wanting to be like Lee Haney, Rich Gaspari, Gary Strydom, Shawn Ray, Aaron Baker, Berry DeMey. In the 90's when I was competing, my dream was to be on the cover of Flex magazine someday.

Ah well, things aren't the same today. Kids I see in the gym today don't have the same work ethic, they play around on their cell phones more than lift. Back then we were inspired by Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies, today they still have The Rock but the work ethic just isn't there. More access to online drugs than ever, but nothing can replace heart and soul and drive.

I haven't read Flex in years, but it makes me sad to see it go. But letting go of things is just part of getting old, I guess.

That's a sad sign of the times. Back in the 80's and early 90's, the muscle mags were all we had to inspire us. So many great memories of wanting to be like Lee Haney, Rich Gaspari, Gary Strydom, Shawn Ray, Aaron Baker, Berry DeMey. In the 90's when I was competing, my dream was to be on the cover of Flex magazine someday.

Ah well, things aren't the same today. Kids I see in the gym today don't have the same work ethic, they play around on their cell phones more than lift. Back then we were inspired by Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies, today they still have The Rock but the work ethic just isn't there. More access to online drugs than ever, but nothing can replace heart and soul and drive.

I haven't read Flex in years, but it makes me sad to see it go. But letting go of things is just part of getting old, I guess.

It's not just Flex, it's magazines in general.

Flex is getting what they deserve. No reason they couldn't have been shifting all their content to their website over the last few years. Instead, they continue to let their website stagnate - nothing gets posted for weeks, then 6 articles go up in one day (at least 1 or 2 of which are advertorials), the nothing again for weeks.

They're lucky they own the Olympia and other publications through AMI. If Flex was standalone, it would've been out of business quite a while ago.

Had a subscription in the early 90's all through middle and high school. Still have a Lee Haney poster and Dorian Yates poster hanging in the stairwell to my parents basement. Luckily, I saved all the issues and every now and then, I like to page through and see all supplements that were being advertised at the time and the guys who were super human to me back then. RIP Flex

this is my monthly world news post. FLEX Magazine is going to stop being published after 35 years. it will no longer be on your grocery magazine rack, the final edition will be next month - April 2018.

over the years i would subscribe from discountmags.com and other sites that would give those $3.99 and $4.99 insane deals. how could you pass that up for a magazine that gave you headlines that were written two and three months in advance. nothing like Jerry Brainum's Applied Metabolics or even Muscular Development, but it will be missed. sad but true story.

Industry News: FLEX Magazine to cease publication after April 2018

I was real unhappy to receive a post card in the mail about FLEX magazine not being published any longer. I just renewed a 3 year subscription that's now going to be replaced by Muscle and Fitness :( I was a little sad at the same time though knowing its not going to be published anymore. I've had a subscription for as long as I can remember.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear