advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Flush-free niacin or normal Niacin for HDL lvl's?

hompie

Registered
Im really bad at handling the flush when I take Niacin.
It feels like being on fire over my whole body.
Now I bought flush-free Niacin and take 1500mg a day to raise HDL.

There are different opinions on this being effective.
Can some body please tell me for sure?
Thanks...........

FYI

High doses of Niacin can impare liver function if useed for extended periods. You need to know that especially if you are on orals. A buddy of mine was on Niacin 2000mg every day for over a year. His liver enzyme levels were 3x what they should be. His doctor asked if he was a heavy drinker or worked around toxic chemicals. He quit the Niacin took MilkThistle & Liv52 after 3months liver levels were back to normal.

Crystaline Niacin aka regular Niacin is more effective. Therapeutic dose starts at 500 mg / day.
Time released can be worse on the liver. If you take flush free make sure it is Inositol Hexaniacinate. I think I spelled that right...
BTW, 1/2 an asprin taken 30 min. prior to Niacin will decrease the flush.

Last edited:
Niacin

There are 3 forms of niacin available:
1. Immediate release (crystalline)
2. Extended release
3. Slow release

#1 is just plain old niacin that causes the flushing. As Quad-smack said, aspirin will help. For me, I drink a lot of water with it (like 32 oz.) and the flush is minimal. That precludes taking it at bedtime, though, which is probably the optimum time to take it. You do NOT want to divide the dose over a day to avoid the flush. It's the extended exposure to niacin that impacts the liver.

#2 is available by prescription only under the name Niaspan. Works, but need a prescription.

#3 is available under many different brand names but none are proven except for one: brand name Slo-Niacin, which is available OTC. Even Costco has it.

AST/ALT levels should be checked to make sure the liver is doing OK.

There are 3 forms of niacin available:
1. Immediate release (crystalline)
2. Extended release
3. Slow release

#1 is just plain old niacin that causes the flushing. As Quad-smack said, aspirin will help. For me, I drink a lot of water with it (like 32 oz.) and the flush is minimal. That precludes taking it at bedtime, though, which is probably the optimum time to take it. You do NOT want to divide the dose over a day to avoid the flush. It's the extended exposure to niacin that impacts the liver.

#2 is available by prescription only under the name Niaspan. Works, but need a prescription.

#3 is available under many different brand names but none are proven except for one: brand name Slo-Niacin, which is available OTC. Even Costco has it.

AST/ALT levels should be checked to make sure the liver is doing OK.
Can you post anything to back that product brand up?
Cause most of the stuff I have read and experienced on flush free points to no benefit.

"Joe was a Track Your Plaque Success Story. With a starting heart scan score of 278, he dropped it 12 months later to 264, a 5% reduction. Though not a huge reduction, Joe's risk for a heart attack or other coronary event was virtually zero. I was very proud of Joe.

Among the culprit lipoprotein patterns that caused Joe's plaque was lipoprotein(a), or Lp(a). Niacin was therefore crucial to his program. It was among the principal reasons he dropped his heart scan score and reduced his risk for heart attack so dramatically.

Since he retired, Joe has been freewheeling around the country, traveling and having a great time. He consequently stopped thinking about his heart disease and Lp(a). He also tired of the occasional hot flushes he'd experienced with niacin. Though the flushes were promptly aborted by drinking two glasses of water, he simply didn't want to be bothered.

So when Joe saw this interesting and tantalizing "flush-free niacin" on the store shelf, he grabbed it.

Joe came back to the office. His blood pressure was 190/94, so high that he was having occasional chest pains from it (which can happen when something called "left ventricular diastolic dysfunction" develops from hypertension). His lipoprotein patterns were terrible, including a big upward jump in Lp(a) and drop in HDL. So I asked him to have another heart scan right away: Score 371, a 40% increase. In other words, his program went down the toilet.

Why?

Simple: Flush-free niacin. I've said it before (No flush = No effect and No flush niacin kills) and I'll say it again:

Flush-free or No-flush niacin is a complete, unadulterated, completely ineffective SCAM.

Flush-free or no-flush niacin is not a substitute for niacin. Joe is yet another example of how dangerous this scam can be. It turned one of our great success stories into a failure.

Please, please, please do not fall for this misleading and potentially dangerous scam product. While the product itself is not intrinsically dangerous, it denies you the benefits of the real thing: niacin.

Thankfully, the mistake in Joe's program was caught before a heart attack or other catastrophe. He did manage to pass a stress test, though with a flagrantly out-of-control blood pressure response. We'll get him back on track--but with niacin, the real thing."

The only benefit I have read about from flush free (Inositol Hexaniacinate) is that it may decrease triglycerides. Other than Niaspan, it is the only one that is not harsh on the liver.
So, if you want to raise HDL's then take Crystalline Niacin, start with 500mg/day with food and take 1/2 an asprin 30min before to help with flushing. Get your lipids & liver function checked every 3 months and adjust as necessary.
Other things that help:
Vitamin D3
Fish Oil
Humanofort
Red Yeast Rice (Natures Plus extended release)
Pantethine
Pterostilbene
Phytosterols
Tocotrienols

The only benefit I have read about from flush free (Inositol Hexaniacinate) is that it may decrease triglycerides. Other than Niaspan, it is the only one that is not harsh on the liver.
So, if you want to raise HDL's then take Crystalline Niacin, start with 500mg/day with food and take 1/2 an asprin 30min before to help with flushing. Get your lipids & liver function checked every 3 months and adjust as necessary.
Other things that help:
Vitamin D3
Fish Oil
Humanofort
Red Yeast Rice (Natures Plus extended release)
Pantethine
Pterostilbene
Phytosterols
Tocotrienols

Are these ok to order?
**broken link removed**

I just met up with my doc and she said NONFLUSHING niacin is best.

Along with some flax seed oil and a good diet.

There are several things sold as niacin, but to my knowledge the no-flush version that does help your lipid profile is Inositol Hexanicotinate. Good luck!

There are several things sold as niacin, but to my knowledge the no-flush version that does help your lipid profile is Inositol Hexanicotinate. Good luck!

I wish I was sure, so may different opinions in this thread.
Edge 250 and Steak Helmet did you get your info from a general doctor cause I think Massive gets the info from a cardiologist?
I dont wanna waste 3 months swallowing the wrong stuff ;-)

Can you post anything to back that product brand up?
Cause most of the stuff I have read and experienced on flush free points to no benefit.

Yes. This is also from the trackyourplaque.com site run by Dr. Davis. He recommends only one slow release niacin, Slo-Niacin® (Upsher Smith Pharmaceuticals), available OTC.

He sites the HATS study as follows:
The HDL-Atherosclerosis Treatment Study (HATS) was another landmark study demonstrating niacin’s huge benefits. In HATS, 160 participants (149 males), all of whom had documented coronary disease, were given combinations of simvastatin (Zocor®) and niacin or placebo. When the group receiving simvastatin and niacin were compared to the placebo group, there was a 90% reduction in death and myocardial infarction (12 events placebo;1 event simvastatin + niacin) over three years. In other words, coronary events were nearly shut off. Small numbers but persuasive.

(To put this into perspective, recall that all the major clinical trials of lipid therapy, such as 4S, LIPID, AFCAPS/TEXCAPS, Heart Protection Study, etc. achieved event reductions of 25-35% over approximately 3 to 5 years when LDL cholesterol was lowered by statin drugs. The 90% achieved in the HATS Trial is therefore truly phenomenal.)

Rarely do we see a treatment effect as powerful as the reduction in events seen in the HATS Trial.

The type of niacin used in the HATS study was the Slo-Niacin brand. I guess, though, that one might wonder about the small number of participants and also that they were on a statin as well. What does it mean for someone only taking Slo-Niacin?

For plain, ordinary niacin, he sites the following:
Niacin reduces heart attack risk dramatically. The Coronary Drug Project, a landmark study in heart disease prevention, was the first to establish niacin as a powerful agent to slash heart attack risk. 8,341 men who had suffered heart attack were given 3000 mg of niacin (“crystalline”, or immediate-release) over six years. Total cholesterol levels were reduced by 10% and triglyceride levels by 26%. Treatment with niacin resulted in a decrease of 27% in heart attacks among the nicotinic-acid treated subjects. They also experienced 26% fewer strokes.

Taking 3000 mg, though, would definitely require keeping an eye on liver values.

The Slo-Niacin brand he lumps into the category of slow release niacin which is available under various brands but he only recommends Slo-Niacin brand.

The no-flush category is different all together and there are some other posts in this thread that mention it. It's a different compound. Again, quoting Dr. Davis:
No-flush niacin—Or inositol hexaniacinate. No-flush, no-effect. Theoretically, this agent should work. It contains six niacin molecules attached to an inositol molecule. Rats do great on it, but humans lack the enzyme to break it down to effective niacin. It’s also expensive—an expensive scam.​

I'm only quoting the doctor; please don't shoot the messenger. :) Dr. Davis' claim to fame is that he says he has not only halted but reversed plaque growth in his practice. Of course, he's only one doctor. For myself, I take 1000 mg of regular niacin. The flush doesn't bother me and seems to have diminished since I started on it.

Hope this helps.

No we are on the same page ;) I know the niacin works and have heard good things about it..especially the slo release
The Flush free is a different compound all together, and I have seen people post that they got nothing out of it also suprised to doc's recommending supplements...

Raised mine 20 points in 2 months.....Humanofort

Hey Phil-
Thought Humanofort was for naturally occurring IGF levels and Test levels. If that helped you that much--I need to try it. I have genetically low HDL. 20 points would be great! How does it help your HDL man? Thanks
GL

Hey Phil-
Thought Humanofort was for naturally occurring IGF levels and Test levels. If that helped you that much--I need to try it. I have genetically low HDL. 20 points would be great! How does it help your HDL man? Thanks
GL

Thats what I would like to know too ;-)
And how much do we need to take?
Also Phil , I know you took Nolvadex for your HDL, how do I cycle this when only doing HRT?

No we are on the same page ;) I know the niacin works and have heard good things about it..especially the slo release
The Flush free is a different compound all together, and I have seen people post that they got nothing out of it also suprised to doc's recommending supplements...

I take the no flush now, but ordered the regular time released niacin just to make sure ;)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131