advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Foam Rolling. (never done anything for me)

bananas007

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Lot of experts have recommended this to me over and over. I have tried and done it many times, and once consistently for 2-3 months. It Never does anything for me. But I hear such great reviews from almost everyone else.

Is anyone in the same boat as me, where foam rolling doesnt do much besides burn some calories and take up some time in the work out?

People who speak about how effective foam rolling is are neglecting to explain that it is infinitely more effective if/when you put pressure on only the area/areas that are knotted up; THat is to say foam rolling should really be practiced by pressurizing the affected area and not moving it. It is effectively accupressure taken to another extent. My wife uses it in this manner as a part of her myofacial release therapy practice with good results. Try lying still on the affected areas and see what happens.

You said lots of experts have recommended this to you over the years. What has it been recommended for? Hopefully the advice by method2madness helps get you some relief. Depending on the issue, not every treatment works the same.

Rolling my thighs and upper back has loosened them up quite a bit.
I am currently dealing with some low back pain. I've been using a lacrosse ball and like said above, I lay on it with the ball on the knot and keep it there, maybe moving around an inch or less on it and it has done wonders for helping me loosen up and recover. I can literally feel the knots loosening up.

Foam rolling has made a huge difference for me. My quads tend to get super tight which lead to improper alignment of the knee joint. Since I started foam rolling (and lots of stretching), my knee pain has completely disappeared. As previous posters have stated, be sure to slowly move on the roll and dwell on places that are painful and tight-feeling, slowly going back and forth over it, much like in a deep tissue massage. Also, make sure the foam roll is sufficiently hard. Tried some of the softer ones first and they don't really generate enough pressure and wear out very quickly.

Foam rolling has made a huge difference for me. My quads tend to get super tight which lead to improper alignment of the knee joint. Since I started foam rolling (and lots of stretching), my knee pain has completely disappeared. As previous posters have stated, be sure to slowly move on the roll and dwell on places that are painful and tight-feeling, slowly going back and forth over it, much like in a deep tissue massage. Also, make sure the foam roll is sufficiently hard. Tried some of the softer ones first and they don't really generate enough pressure and wear out very quickly.
That is the experience I had as well. Knee pain was much better after going to the rolling. Sure does hurt when you do it right!

Ymmv, but I find doing the stretching and soft tissue stuff immediately before lifting can be counterproductive.

I do it at another time. I understand for most people this is not practical.

i have bat ITB in my left leg, foam rolling has helped it temendously. As was said earlier, make sure your taking it nice and slow, might even stop on some of the sore'r parts from now on as well (based on above suggestions)

The biggest problem is that self inflicted massage tends to make us "take it easy"
when it hurts. This is why it's better to let someone else fuck you up.

Ymmv, but I find doing the stretching and soft tissue stuff immediately before lifting can be counterproductive.

I do it at another time. I understand for most people this is not practical.
You're doing it wrong then

i have bat ITB in my left leg, foam rolling has helped it temendously. As was said earlier, make sure your taking it nice and slow, might even stop on some of the sore'r parts from now on as well (based on above suggestions)
Technically the parts that are tender or bound up need up to 2 minutes of pressure per spot. Even theragun has this in their directions. Rolling up and down does nothing

My lats get really tight, which causes shoulder pain

I have a big PVC pipe that I lay on which loosens everything up and sorts me out in a matter of minutes

Technically the parts that are tender or bound up need up to 2 minutes of pressure per spot. Even theragun has this in their directions. Rolling up and down does nothing
Exactly. I roll around a little until I find the spot and then stay there until it loosens.

+1 on the benefit of foam rolling

older powerlifting friend of mine recommended it & it's made a world of difference

excellent book on related matter is:
"Becoming a Supple Leopard"
The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
Book by Glen Cordoza and Kelly Starrett

You're doing it wrong then
How long is your total trigger point routine?

I'm not saying the rolling doesn't help me, I do it and it does. It just seems that over a certain amount of time on the ground doing this right before lifting tends to disperse my intensity.

+1 on the benefit of foam rolling

older powerlifting friend of mine recommended it & it's made a world of difference

excellent book on related matter is:
"Becoming a Supple Leopard"
The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
Book by Glen Cordoza and Kelly Starrett

I ended up buying the
Book.
I may be doing it wrong? Maybe I am not surpassing the pain threshold needed to see improvements . Kelly even recommends having a glass of wine. Before. I may use that as an excuse to drink a glass.

It’s hard for me to differentiate know pain from tactile pain of a hard object pressing on a muscle. If I push hard on something there is pain; I just can’t tell when this pain is pathological and I need to spend more time on the spot.

Does the voodoo flossing stuff work?

personally i ditched the foam roller and started using a pvc pipe

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner