over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Folding over on squats

comedycentral

Registered
I'm finding just lately that with a heavier squats I'm starting to fold forward as I ascend on the squat, it goes from a squat to a sort of good morning.

What's going wrong, I'm trying to keep chest up and I hit hams first ghrs etc and I think my hams are pretty good so I'm stuck.

I'm constantly straining my lower back just lately.

What do you think front squats??

When your squatting try not to look straight forward, but look upwards with your head tilted back. I try to find a focal point on the upper wall in front of me which in my case is the chrome trim on the top of the mirror on the wall at my gym. This will help with your momentum from going forward and from you leaning forward or bending over in that 'good morning' position.
Hope that makes sense and helps bit.

Folding over is typically a result of a core that isn't strong enough to handle the weight, either abs and/or lower back. I'm sure you're doing abdominal work already, and since you're having some lower back issues, sounds like that could be the source. If you're not doing good mornings, try adding those for a few weeks and/or lower back raises, see if that helps. And like biggmike noted, keep your head up by picking out a spot high to keep your eyes on.

For me, I must keep my chin up and my eyes focused on a point high on the wall in front of me. And I was taught to always drive with my heals. Doing so forces me to keep my back in a vertical position as I ascend with heavy weight.

I do think it is important to have the same routine all the time. For me this is especially important with squats and dead lifts.

badham

Thanks however i don't think it's lower back as I do back raises and dead regularly

I'd try low bar squatting. Once I switched, never looked back.

Its important to keep your hips under the bar
Think hips forward as you are coming up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 389
It's a flexibility issue. You need to start stretching post workout. You have low flexibility in your hips, hams, and back. When you descend on your squat your body leans forward as a result of inflexibility. When your weight is shifted towards your toes, your body starts to bend. You need to keep you weight on your heels which is why high backed oly shoes help. This will also help engage your glutes. I used to have the same issue. You can also try a wider stance until you gain more flexibility. Do not tilt your head up. The spine has more power when aligned as does the whole body. Rather, fix your gaze on something straight ahead, hold your breath while descending (to keep core tight), exhale at the top of every rep. Good luck!

NW

Also, stretch your calves. The ability to keep your heels planted will help. Hip flexors and calves need to be right to squat right.

do more quad work such as front squats and look into possible flexibility issues, maybe even try a low bar squat, sam byrd and dan green both believe quad weakness is the reason for falling forward in a squat, doing good mornings will only reinforce the issue and it will likely become worse

Tight hips, lack of glute/hamstring activation, weak abdominals

falling forward could be a number of things but one thing is for sure if you are falling forward you are going to heavy. i compete in powerlifting and work 60-90 percent of my max throughout my training cycle. trust me start small and make small increments.

in the hole of a deep squat your upper back supports the bar and starts the lift. if your hips start the lift you could fall forward. your upper back is whats connecting you to the bar if you have a weak or loose upper back you can roll forward. could be hip flexibility.

i wouldn't stretch too hard prior to squat but i would spend some time warming up. i usually toss 95lbs on the bar and do some warmup good mornings prior to squats. then toss 135lbs on the bar and do some ass to grass squats pausing at the very bottom and slow shifting side to side to warmup the stabilizers. on a heavy day only work up to 90% of your max for 3-5 reps focusing on form and exploding out of the hole.

also once a week immediately after squats alternate between good mornings and box squats. even if you can do 4x4 on these two lifts once you're done squats.

I had the same problem, start stretching your hams, glutes, and hip flexers. Trust me it will help a ton! Since your hams are strong as you stated above, they are probably pretty tight. Think about the mechnics of the motion. If the hams and glutes are tight they will not allow your hips to sink right, as stated above.

It's a flexibility issue. You need to start stretching post workout. You have low flexibility in your hips, hams, and back. When you descend on your squat your body leans forward as a result of inflexibility. When your weight is shifted towards your toes, your body starts to bend. You need to keep you weight on your heels which is why high backed oly shoes help. This will also help engage your glutes. I used to have the same issue. You can also try a wider stance until you gain more flexibility. Do not tilt your head up. The spine has more power when aligned as does the whole body. Rather, fix your gaze on something straight ahead, hold your breath while descending (to keep core tight), exhale at the top of every rep. Good luck!

NW

I had this exact same issue stemming from poor flexibility and poor training habits. I lightened up the weight a bit focusing on getting extremely deep while working in pause squat sets. I also purchased a pair of oly lifting shoes that i wear on leg day. Dave Tate has a free instructional squat guide that is a great read! It is focused more on powerlifting but the man definitely knows squat!

I like to do what I call duck walks before leg day. You get in a squat position and walk. I start with short steps to warm up then open my stride up to get more of a stretch. Make sure you are actually walking too and not just pivoting on one foot.

too many opinions, lol

it is easier than that, just lower your weights a bit, a bit wider than shoulder width stance and tuck your elbows in (elbows under the bar, close to the body. not flared to the back)

I had the same problem, the elbows fixed everything

As others have said could be one or more of a number of issues(tightness, imbalance, weakness, load too heavy). So without knowing whats wrong I would suggest for starters to practice good form using lighter weights and progressively increase load but only if your form stays good.

If your form brakes with light weight then its probably due to tightness in some key areas such as hips, ankles, etc so stretch and work on flexibility in these areas.

Also incorporate overhead squats as part of your warm-up and rehab work. These really test and condition core muscles and also help with hip flexibility. Just use the bar only and sit down in bottom position and hold it to stretch tight areas. Hope this helps as it does me.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131