advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Food Expiration Dates... eat it or throw it out?

Fit2Serve

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have had food poisoning 3x in my life and i wanted to literally die each time. worst feeling EVER. I think it has made me VERY leery of Expiration Dates on food products. I cant get myself to eat anything past the "best if used" or best if sold by xyz date" i just cant do it....

Do you guys eat food that has expired date on it? If so, what and how long had it been expired?
What are things safe to eat past expiration? (if anything)
-F2S

The only thing that ever concerns me is the sell by date on raw meat like steak. Ive cooked up meat that was 5 days or a bit more out from the sell by date but never had any problems. I smell the meat and I store it in the fridge in the same drawer as my frozen chicken breasts, so it is quite cold. Once a week I thaw out a big package of chicken I had frozen. I put that in a meat drawer and store the raw meat I get at the grocery in there to keep it extra cold.

The sell by date is on meat and I think they give you at least 5 days or so after that to cook it up. Once you cook it, its good for a week in the fridge. I keep our fridge set at 35 degrees F.

The use by date on stuff like bread isn't a worry since at worst it will just be stale and taste like crap. I have used some hamburger buns that are 1 month past use by date and they taste like new! Arent stale at all, nice and soft like new. They put so many preservatives in that stuff.

Things like eggs I wouldn't eat past the use by date.

Normally I always eat my food before the expiration date, but a few weeks ago I bought some chocolates on offer that have already expired, and can it eat without problems.

Meat, eggs, fruit, vegetables ... I always finish it before they spoil.

It depends on the food.
I've eaten cereal 1 year past expiration
Currently eating quest bars that are 4 months expired, and some protein cookies that are 3 months expired.
Used protein powder 1 year expired
Yogurt almost two weeks
Cottage cheese 1 week
Eggs two weeks expired
Probably a ton of other stuff, this is just off the top of my head.

Never bad food poisoning before

I used to smell everything before I ate it as a young kid and my mom would get confused. I don't remember doing it, but it's wired in there for a reason I suppose.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The dates have nothing to do with food expiration and are only put their to help stores manage inventories.If it smells rotten or has mold growing on it, toss it out. When meat products get slimy or sticky, that's a good sign they're rotten, too.

So much perfectly good food is wasted because of those stupid dates

The dates have nothing to do with food expiration and are only put their to help stores manage inventories.If it smells rotten or has mold growing on it, toss it out. When meat products get slimy or sticky, that's a good sign they're rotten, too.

So much perfectly good food is wasted because of those stupid dates
100%

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have had food poisoning also.
So now I don't take any chances and it's a crime how much food I throw out.

i totally understand

I have had food poisoning also.
So now I don't take any chances and it's a crime how much food I throw out.

had some chicken in the fridge couple days ago that said "sell by 2/10/19" it was 2/12/19 when i asked my wife if i should grill it and eat it or not. she said smell it and if smells good i wouldnt worry about it. i couldnt bring myself to eat it. even tho smelled fine. food poisoning is a powerful mind/body influence.
-F2S

You'd be surprised how far past the date you can go on certain stuff. Eggs jump to mind, pretty much all dry goods. Just wouldn't play around too much when it comes to meat. But usually a sniff check and your good to go. Lol

Manufacturers have to put a use/sell by day on that will guarantee them from liability from the biggest idiot that will use their product.

Manufacturers have to put a use/sell by day on that will guarantee them from liability from the biggest idiot that will use their product.

Agreed. My wife is a nut about expiration dates but I eat things past the expiration date and have for years. Never had any issues. Obviously if it smells bad or looks questionable then toss it but otherwise it's gtg in my book

I have noticed that when chocolate comes close to expiration time or expire get thin white film on top of it, just looks a bit whitish. taste is same. end of the day the expiration date is there for a reason so we better pay attention and eat when its good to go

I have had food poisoning 3x in my life and i wanted to literally die each time. worst feeling EVER. I think it has made me VERY leery of Expiration Dates on food products. I cant get myself to eat anything past the "best if used" or best if sold by xyz date" i just cant do it....

Do you guys eat food that has expired date on it? If so, what and how long had it been expired?
What are things safe to eat past expiration? (if anything)
-F2S

I got food poisoning from old vegetables. The pain was horrendous! I toss food out now. With meat I’m very picky. I toss it before it expires a lot.

The only thing that ever concerns me is the sell by date on raw meat like steak. Ive cooked up meat that was 5 days or a bit more out from the sell by date but never had any problems. I smell the meat and I store it in the fridge in the same drawer as my frozen chicken breasts, so it is quite cold. Once a week I thaw out a big package of chicken I had frozen. I put that in a meat drawer and store the raw meat I get at the grocery in there to keep it extra cold.

The sell by date is on meat and I think they give you at least 5 days or so after that to cook it up. Once you cook it, its good for a week in the fridge. I keep our fridge set at 35 degrees F.

The use by date on stuff like bread isn't a worry since at worst it will just be stale and taste like crap. I have used some hamburger buns that are 1 month past use by date and they taste like new! Arent stale at all, nice and soft like new. They put so many preservatives in that stuff.

Things like eggs I wouldn't eat past the use by date.

That’s funny maldorf because eggs probably last longer than all of those! Eggs are only bad when there is black in the yolk, they are good for months after the exp date. Even organic, my chickens eggs were still good months later when I had a farm.

Most foods last well beyond the expiry date. For meats the longest I have gone was 2 days. Meat can go bad fast but it's usually easy to tell. I would rather not risk it. The same for fruit and that can often go bad before the expiry date so I try to eat it as soon as possible and never let it get too close. For things like protein bars I have bought them 2 months expired and they have been fine.

That’s funny maldorf because eggs probably last longer than all of those! Eggs are only bad when there is black in the yolk, they are good for months after the exp date. Even organic, my chickens eggs were still good months later when I had a farm.

Didn't think they would be good months after the expiration date. As it is, the expiration date is about 3 weeks after you buy them. That is nuts. Still don't think I am ready to test that out! LOL

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131