over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Food getting stuck in esophagus

sometimes usually when i eat plain rice, it will get stuck feels like halfway down and hurts like a motherfucker. it hurts man. and its just stuck there, so i end up tryin to puke it up....my mouth gets all fulla spit, i like, force burp and try to get it up, jump up and down.....nothing works. just pain and more pain. ts
finally it goes away but godam....then im scared to swallow more...almost always its plain white rice that does it .

sometimes usually when i eat plain rice, it will get stuck feels like halfway down and hurts like a motherfucker. it hurts man. and its just stuck there, so i end up tryin to puke it up....my mouth gets all fulla spit, i like, force burp and try to get it up, jump up and down.....nothing works. just pain and more pain. ts
finally it goes away but godam....then im scared to swallow more...almost always its plain white rice that does it .
Exact same shit with me and I just sip water as I eat now and take smaller bites. Sticky rice was the worst and I love that shit

All these symptoms justify an upper endoscopy. If your truly concerned and food is repeatedly getting stuck you should
get it checked out. A good gastroenterologist should be in every bodybuilders contacts list.

This was me yesterday. Felt like it was going down, made myself cough and burp and it came up more. I couldn't decide if I wanted to get it down or up, was afraid I'd eventually have to make myself puke.

The diet coke and hot coffee helped but I think they just soothed my throat so I couldn't feel it as much temporarily.

I think the best thing you can do is chew the foods more. When you say you scarf down food, I can relate. I eat fairly fast and I'm guilty of not chewing the food more. I haven't had an issue with food getting stuck...so far. Better to take a bit more time to chew it and get it down, than have something harder and somewhat jagged like beef jerky tearing the esophagus. Be careful man, depending on the size of the tear, you could find yourself in a similar situation like Dusty Hanshaw. Maybe not as severe but being fed by a tube in order to heal an esophagus tear would not be fun!

It's funny, one of the things that Charles Atlas recommended was chewing your food until it was completely ground up so you would get more nutrients out of it. I'm sure that's true and helps with digestion. **NOTE - I'm older but Charles Atlas was waaaay before my time..LOL! My dad ordered his information when he was a kid and told me about it.**

The one thing that almost got me was a fish bone. Slurped it down with some soup, think it was from cod. Fucker must have been 2 inches long and curved, wouldn't go down, wouldn't come up. Tried eating some shit to force it down - no go. After about 20 min of struggling finally hacked it up...

That shit can be scary. As bodybuilders I think we are particularly at risk because of the volume of food we eat and how many times eating becomes like a job.

I think the best thing you can do is chew the foods more. When you say you scarf down food, I can relate. I eat fairly fast and I'm guilty of not chewing the food more. I haven't had an issue with food getting stuck...so far. Better to take a bit more time to chew it and get it down, than have something harder and somewhat jagged like beef jerky tearing the esophagus. Be careful man, depending on the size of the tear, you could find yourself in a similar situation like Dusty Hanshaw. Maybe not as severe but being fed by a tube in order to heal an esophagus tear would not be fun!

It's funny, one of the things that Charles Atlas recommended was chewing your food until it was completely ground up so you would get more nutrients out of it. I'm sure that's true and helps with digestion. **NOTE - I'm older but Charles Atlas was waaaay before my time..LOL! My dad ordered his information when he was a kid and told me about it.**
Good points. I need to rethink my eating behavior. I've been known to try to swallow pills dry (when I didn't have water) , eat all of an apple including core and stem, and eating the shell and the shrimp. After the beef jerky experience doubt I'll be doing any of those habits again lol

All these symptoms justify an upper endoscopy. If your truly concerned and food is repeatedly getting stuck you should
get it checked out. A good gastroenterologist should be in every bodybuilders contacts list.
I agree. I know about this stuff both from being a bodybuilder and because one of my long-time clients was a bariatric surgeon who also did endoscopies, hiatal hernias, etc.

Good points. I need to rethink my eating behavior. I've been known to try to swallow pills dry (when I didn't have water) , eat all of an apple including core and stem, and eating the shell and the shrimp. After the beef jerky experience doubt I'll be doing any of those habits again lol
Changing how you eat is key. One easy thing to implement is buying meat scissors and cutting your protein into tiny pieces before eating. Start chewing as much as you can - aim for 30-40 chews (what I roughly do) before swallowing. Try to chew carbs even more as the enzymes that break down carbs get produced in the mouth.

If you truly are having food get stuck you really should get checked out. Just because you don't feel acid reflux doesn't mean you don't have it - the acid can still be hitting your esophagus and over long-term can cause scar tissue.

Reactions: Bio
I've had this happen a few times lately. I try to chew good but sometimes go back to bad habits and scarf food down.

Typically I can make it come up but yesterday it was a piece of beef jerky and wasn't coming up. I could breathe but could feel it. Diet coke, hot coffee, banana, yogurt, all the things suggested online finally got it down but I was worried for a while because now when it happens I think about a thread here where a former member had to go to the ICU.

Anyonelse have this happen? It seems to be happening more frequently, or maybe I just worry about it more after reading that thread. Obviously chewing good solves the problem but no one is perfect and it's human nature to eat fast when in a hurry.
you are robbing yourself by swalling food near whole and in big chunks

chewing secrets digestive enzymes, more digestive enzymes in motion and work = higher nutrient absorption and bioavailability

one time unrelated i was cooking palomilla (a type of carne asada) steak on grill and it was really chewy and fatty, i choked and couldn't get it disloged, ran like 20 seconds sprint and pounded on roommates door scared the shit out of them finally it dislodged i though I was dead though, it was a piece that was halfway in my mouth and hallway down my throat held by a tendon string lol

Sounds like GERD. My buddy had it. He went gluten free, dairy free and changed his akaline levels. I believe he’s all good now.

Sounds like GERD. My buddy had it. He went gluten free, dairy free and changed his akaline levels. I believe he’s all good now.
i have gerd and did alkaline water for about 7 years straight, only alkaline water, and it nuked my HCL, and i was a candida factory eventually. this is worth keeping an eye on.

I have this same problem now I'm older. It's worst depending on food selections. Rice is the biggest culprit along with any soup noodles for me, but it can happem with any food. It feels like the food is stuck in upper chest and it's very uncomfortable. Sometimes trying to dislodge with fluid makes it worse as if it backing up esophagus pipe even more. This can also cause choking so becareful when sipping fluids. I've learned the only things you can really do is give it time to slowly go down, beat your chest a little to encourage mvmt or try to vomit it up. When vomiting it up, you got to be careful not to induce choking. But after a while you eventually get a feel for what is the best solution. As far as treatment I know Maldorf a member here has this problem too and is prescribed protonix which supposedly helps. My guess is it helps keep Gerd inflammation down which would help keep esophagus more open.

I have this same problem now I'm older. It feels like the food is stuck in upper chest and it's very uncomfortable. Sometimes trying to dislodge with fluid makes it worse as if it backing up esophagus pipe even more. This can also cause choking so becareful when sipping fluids.
What you're describing are symptoms I had been experiencing for about 4 years. Certain foods like marinara sauce, spicy or deep fried foods and especially that morning cup of coffee. They'd all leave me with that symptom of feeling like food was stuck in my chest, SOB and this frustrating cough that would gradually diminish as the food digested. Saw my Gastro, did an end/colo. My results were lining changes in my esophagus. Severe erosions to what's referred as your Z line. This was after being on either Pantoprazole or Omeprazole (PPI) over that 4 years. Doc also diagnosed me with a large hiatal hernia which he felt was the root cause of my reflux. Said if I didn't do something about it it could turn into Barretts and possibly esophageal cancer. Referred me to a bariatric surgeon who repairs hiatal hernias.
About 4.5 months back (right before Christmas) I had surgery called a Nissen Fundoplication. Instead of doing a full wrap (360) of my fundus around my esophagus, he did what's called a Toupet (270) wrap. Post Op was a bit rough. Everything I ate had to be an applesauce consistency for about 2-3 weeks as the lower esophageal sphincter created by wrapping the top of your stomach (Fundus) around your esophagus makes it difficult to swallow regular texture foods. Also the procedure makes it so you can't belch/burp so no carbonated beverages (no beer). I consider farting my new superpower:) Another drawback is not being able to vomit so food poisoning has to go completely through you. I order everything well done these days.

I've completely recovered from the surgery. I can eat whatever I want again although less. Discovered I CAN drink Guinness once the nitro bubbles dissipate. I have zero symptoms and I'm completely off PPI's and H2Blockers. My microbiome is finally optimized. I'm actually "digesting" protein again and in general feel so much healthier. Again, if you suspect food is getting stuck in your esophagus or your having chronic reflux symptoms, go see a gastroenterologist and ask if an endoscopy is warranted.

Though this entire ordeal my main question was how did I develop my hiatal hernia in the first place? I suspect that the Intra abdominal pressure I placed my gut under from years of bodybuilding and then powerlifting and using that Inzer belt as the primary cause. There is a genetic predisposition as well but most who develop a hiatal hernia never develop symptoms. My gut tells me (pun intended) that there are a large # of us out there with this problem!

It’s something to take very very seriously. I got really bad acid reflux after Covid. My dumb azz was chewing tums like they were going out of style versus proper meds or seeing a gi doc. Apparently it caused some scaring. I started getting meat and breads stuck on occasion. I could eventually clear it. I was just so tired of doctors/hospitals. A late dinner and extra rush to eat because of how late it was. Next thing I know I am getting an ambulance ride while I choked, spit and hacked on that stuck food in between very short breaths when I could get them. Then the wait for the on call GI team to show up. It’s not worth the risk. Get scoped if needed and a treatment plan from a doc. They had me double up on acid reflux meds. it was crazy how fast things turned around for me.
It also made me realize I eat like a pig. I had a career where there was no such thing as a proper lunch or dinner breaks. Ya woofed some food down and got back the task at hand. It was what was expected of us. Now, I realize I have to undo the way I eat. Smaller bites and slow way down. Talk about a hard habit to undo. I’m getting there slowly but surely.
I have had several people I know afterwards tell me they had friends who put off seeing a gi doc and are no longer alive because they died from choking.

This!I had the same problem and with the endoscopy found it was is a hiatal hernia causing all sorts of digestion issues.

What you're describing are symptoms I had been experiencing for about 4 years. Certain foods like marinara sauce, spicy or deep fried foods and especially that morning cup of coffee. They'd all leave me with that symptom of feeling like food was stuck in my chest, SOB and this frustrating cough that would gradually diminish as the food digested. Saw my Gastro, did an end/colo. My results were lining changes in my esophagus. Severe erosions to what's referred as your Z line. This was after being on either Pantoprazole or Omeprazole (PPI) over that 4 years. Doc also diagnosed me with a large hiatal hernia which he felt was the root cause of my reflux. Said if I didn't do something about it it could turn into Barretts and possibly esophageal cancer. Referred me to a bariatric surgeon who repairs hiatal hernias.
About 4.5 months back (right before Christmas) I had surgery called a Nissen Fundoplication. Instead of doing a full wrap (360) of my fundus around my esophagus, he did what's called a Toupet (270) wrap. Post Op was a bit rough. Everything I ate had to be an applesauce consistency for about 2-3 weeks as the lower esophageal sphincter created by wrapping the top of your stomach (Fundus) around your esophagus makes it difficult to swallow regular texture foods. Also the procedure makes it so you can't belch/burp so no carbonated beverages (no beer). I consider farting my new superpower:) Another drawback is not being able to vomit so food poisoning has to go completely through you. I order everything well done these days.

I've completely recovered from the surgery. I can eat whatever I want again although less. Discovered I CAN drink Guinness once the nitro bubbles dissipate. I have zero symptoms and I'm completely off PPI's and H2Blockers. My microbiome is finally optimized. I'm actually "digesting" protein again and in general feel so much healthier. Again, if you suspect food is getting stuck in your esophagus or your having chronic reflux symptoms, go see a gastroenterologist and ask if an endoscopy is warranted.

Though this entire ordeal my main question was how did I develop my hiatal hernia in the first place? I suspect that the Intra abdominal pressure I placed my gut under from years of bodybuilding and then powerlifting and using that Inzer belt as the primary cause. There is a genetic predisposition as well but most who develop a hiatal hernia never develop symptoms. My gut tells me (pun intended) that there are a large # of us out there with this problem!
I'm glad they were able to properly diagnose and get you treated. It sounds like your doing much better, that's fantastic! Your right though I need to see a gastroenterologist before I really mess myself up more. Thank you!

It’s something to take very very seriously. I got really bad acid reflux after Covid. My dumb azz was chewing tums like they were going out of style versus proper meds or seeing a gi doc. Apparently it caused some scaring. I started getting meat and breads stuck on occasion. I could eventually clear it. I was just so tired of doctors/hospitals. A late dinner and extra rush to eat because of how late it was. Next thing I know I am getting an ambulance ride while I choked, spit and hacked on that stuck food in between very short breaths when I could get them. Then the wait for the on call GI team to show up. It’s not worth the risk. Get scoped if needed and a treatment plan from a doc. They had me double up on acid reflux meds. it was crazy how fast things turned around for me.
It also made me realize I eat like a pig. I had a career where there was no such thing as a proper lunch or dinner breaks. Ya woofed some food down and got back the task at hand. It was what was expected of us. Now, I realize I have to undo the way I eat. Smaller bites and slow way down. Talk about a hard habit to undo. I’m getting there slowly but surely.
I have had several people I know afterwards tell me they had friends who put off seeing a gi doc and are no longer alive because they died from choking.
You guys officially have me very concerned now. No more procrasting. Calling my PCP today to get a referral a gastroenterologist.

Get it checked... I have been having this rarely with supplements or bread etc, and when I mentioned to my dr he immediatly set me up with a gastro guy---I see him in 2 weeks. Apparently it can be caused by precancerous conditions

Another drawback is not being able to vomit so food poisoning has to go completely through you. I order everything well done these days.
Why can’t you vomit after this procedure? Also, what happens if you would?

Personally I HATE throwing up! I’ll do anything and everything to avoid doing it. Even if it means I’ll feel shitty for a longer period of time. Just HATE HATE HATE the feeling of throwing up! Causes major anxiety for me to this day!

Cage

Why can’t you vomit after this procedure? Also, what happens if you would?
It can cause the repair to fail. The surgeon wraps the stomach around the esophagus and sutures it in place. This creates a very tight junction where liquids/food only go one way...down. The repair creates an artificial LES essentially. Vomiting/dry heaves can cause the sutures to tear. The concern is greatest shortly after surgery but is something to be aware of long term as well.
I eat just about everything well done now and avoid eating leftovers more than a few days old.
I don't use a belt in the gym anymore and avoid deep leg presses/hacks etc.

A late dinner and extra rush to eat because of how late it was.
Big issue right there. I had the same problem. Get home at midnight after a very busy evening shift hungry as a MFer.
Ideally you should give your gut 2-3 hours to digest that late meal before you go to bed. Yeah right!
Don't and your waking up choking/coughing with this awful acid taste in your mouth because of reflux. You aspirate on that acid/undigested food, it goes into your lungs and you can expect a bad case of bronchitis or worse pneumonia. I placed 6" bricks under the head of my bed posts to get gravity working for me. Not sure how effective that was as I lived with chronic bronchitis for about 4 years.
Since my surgery that chronic cough is gone and my bed's flat again. Makes the wife happy as well.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131