over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Food Label Experts needed

mammoth

Registered
How do I tell what % of the total calories that are listed on a food label come from fat, protein or carbs. I am trying to write myself a new diet and I am going to base it on a 50/20/30 ratio (pro/carbs/fat). Its kinda hard to do when I can't figure out the percentages from just looking at food labels. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Or am I going about it all wrong. :)

?

:D what food sources, the food label has to carry that next or close to the amount in grams of protein, fats, and carbs. Sometimes if the food source has a small or little amount of the nutrient then it does not give a percentage. But usually the most important nutrients/minerals will show a % of daily value that the food product holds per serving. I believe it is now illegal to not have food label on the food product. You may have to go online to find nutrient/mineral per serving.
Gooey

If you look at a food label you will notice that it has total calories listed. Now how do I tell what percentage of those calories are from protein, fat or carbs? Also the percentages shown are usually only the percentage of RDA. Which does me no good because I don't base my diet from the RDA.

Lets back up here so I don't sound like I am a confused monkey!
Okay, I am basing my diet on a 50/20/30 ratio meaning 50% of total calories come from protein and so on. Now, when compiling my diet, how do I tell from looking at a food label how many calories are from the protein and what not. All I can tell from the food label is that the Total Calories per serving is X amount. Anybody have a clue or am I just blowing smoke here? :)

Hey. You take the calories per gram of macro (protein 4, carb 4, fat 9) and multiply that by the grams of each in the food. That should equal the total amount of calories posted on the label. Thanks

yep

:p take the amount in grams (20g) multiply it by 4 for 4 calories per gram in protein and then divide that from the amount of grams in fat (x grams) times 9 and carbs (x grams) times 4 those all three added up should give you total amount of calories. If you divide the protein by the other two you should get the percentage of protein in calories that you are eating. Hint, Hint if you are not dieting for a competition or other important things then dont make things so hard and technical. I find that just frustrates me, just eat. :)

A side note-dont forget the type of carbs (amount of sugar grams)
will be inportant in your planning; 10g sugar cars will not have the same effect on your body and physique as 10g complex carbs.

carbs

:p in general yes the carbs the type of carbohydrate should have different effects on the body, but that is relative to each person. The reason complexcarbs are promoted is because of there insulin spike compared to a complex carbohydrate. Complex carbs have more fiber (which is a complex carb humans cannot digest) and more nutrient/mineral value and takemore energy to break down because they are disaccharides and polysaccharides. Some people react to sugars and complex carbs indifferent ways just practice and see how you react. And know when to utilize more complex carbs and know when to use simple sugars.
Gooey:)

Re: carbs

gooey said:
The reason complexcarbs are promoted is because of there insulin spike compared to a complex carbohydrate.
I think you mean "simple carbs are promoted" :p :eek: :D

xcel

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99
NapsGear