over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

football player training style question

jcmule

Registered
I currently have a nephew who is 16 and he has been working out and getting stronger, today he found out he will be starting fullback for his high school football team. My style of training has always been for bodybuilding and I know football players train different from us. What kind of workout program could i have him do that would allow him to gain strenght and some size but keep his speed?

Just looking for suggestons.

thanks

Westside barbell has a pretty good template for him to follow, unless he is just beginning to lift weights. If he is just beginning, I would just focus on a
3x3 rep scheme (3 sets x 3 reps) or 5x5 on the 3 main lifts (i personally prefer a power clean over a deadlift though). I like Jim Wendler's book as well.

It's always great to incorporate speed work, and lateral work for his position too. I've seen better results with kids not going to complete exhaustion, but taking proper rest periods, and insure they're not overly taxed. If his legs begin to feel like jello during speed work you've gone a little too far (especially in season). Focus on doing this speed work at least 2-3 times a week, and strength training 3-4 times a week and really try to make sure he is increasing his weight lifting poundages consistently even if it is a 2.5 lbs increase.

Watch his volume in season as well.

This is the time of the year he should really just try maintain what strength and size he has gained in the off season.With practices all week then friday night games(high school) and the weekend to recover leaves usually mon-weds to train weights as thurs night would not be a great idea the night before a game..I would have him stick to low volume heavy weight,short workouts AFTER practice 2 days or 3 at the most.

We were very fortunate to have a guy getting his masters(at the time) who is now a strength and conditioning coach in the NFL.He laid out both in season and off season plans based on positon and goals.

Elliot Hulse has has some good stuff at his site, as does strengthcoach.com

ck. out www.defrancotraining.com

lots of good info there, he uses westside techniques. Also many mobility exercises are demonstrated. He trains many NFL players.

Football training

Football training is going more and more to being an all around athlete rather than being bigger, faster and stronger. Much more emphasis is being placed on core, stabilty, flexibility and speed. Cleans, snatch, hang pulls, push press, db or kettle ball snatch or any exersice that utilizes multiple muscles and requires coordination and explosion. Goodluck.

Westside techniques is were its at. I used them all through college (i started on a DI college football team for 3 years). I actually finished 2 years ago so i know for a fact my team still uses them. But as someone said before me, season is just a time to maintain strength/power/speed/agility....offseason is where you build it. You are definitely NOT going to get stronger during the season.

thanks everyone for your info and help. I will def. look into the sites you have all given.

Westside techniques is were its at. I used them all through college (i started on a DI college football team for 3 years). I actually finished 2 years ago so i know for a fact my team still uses them. But as someone said before me, season is just a time to maintain strength/power/speed/agility....offseason is where you build it. You are definitely NOT going to get stronger during the season.

That and considering louie simmons does the strength program for about 3 nfl teams doesnt hurt to mention either.. Westside holds a lot of merit.. If you watch a lot of the videos he does he always talks about how explosive his athletes are..

5/3/1 for football players

I have been playing professional football for the past 7 years,i have allways been 1 of the big,fastest strongest guys on the field as an o-lineman.I allways trained for muscle endurance because in college and pros they dont care if u bench 600lbs its how many times u rep 225.My best is 55 and i they combine i did 52,they took 4 from and counted 48 of the officially.So basically my workouts are based more for muscle endurance and fatigue than anything else(example-bench press-warm up 135x15,then 225x30 for 4 sets and only half reps,chest to half-way up).Now in the off-season i do tend to change it up for around 10 weeks and lift heavier and less reps.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
knarf447
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131